Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2020, 03:28 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
How does this post differ from a monkey flinging poo rather than engaging in intelligent discussion.
or that ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 03:41 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
You really should try and stop twisting other people's words around.
No, you really need to think about what you're saying.

As I said previously, I've worked with many handicapped children -- physically handicapped, mentally handicapped, emotionally handicapped. I've never heard a single parent of a handicapped child, or a handicapped child say anything that approached thanking god for their handicap.

I've never heard a child or parent say, "Thank god for spina bifida".
I've never heard a child or parent say, "Thank god for cerebral palsy".
I've never heard a child or parent say, "Thank god for the kitchen fire that burned off my ears and nose and scarred me for life".
I've never heard a child or parent say, "Thank god for muscular dystrophy".
I've never heard a child or parent say, "Thank god for being blind".
I've never heard a child or parent say, "Thank god for being born without limbs".
I've never heard a child or parent say, "Thank god for being deaf".
I've never heard a child or parent say, "Thank god for making me ill formed so that people recoil".
I've never heard a child or parent say, "Thank god for needing to be catheterized by school personnel".
I've never heard a child or parent say, "Thank god for being mildly mentally retarded".
I've never heard a child or parent say, "Thank god for being autistic to the point that I can't attend a regular school".

So I would like to know who these people are, "...who actually THANK GOD for their disability?"

Old 05-03-2020, 03:41 PM

63,844 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
or that ...
I'm afraid your desire to take the middle road has led you into a blinding crevasse, Arach if you think Mircea's comment about bowel movements is an appropriate response to Pleroo's reasonable and polite post.

Old 05-03-2020, 04:28 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I'm afraid your desire to take the middle road has led you into a blinding crevasse, Arach if you think Mircea's comment about bowel movements is an appropriate response to Pleroo's reasonable and polite post.
Of course you are correct, although I would argue that I am not taking the middle ground at all. I am evaluating his claim to the information we have. The fact they choose not to talk about is that our responses to the surroundings, in terms of what spiritual people are claiming, is just like any other physical response, like food processing.

lest compare how a complex protein response to the system to mica's claim that its just nonsense. Well, proteins are reacting and a lot of them are behaving the same way. These people are also represented in every area of the the bell curve. So nonsense just isn't the best we have. And anti-god to stop the united states is just deceitful.

Old 05-03-2020, 06:59 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I second mystic's post. You are what I call professional grade. You know its not about being better. You know its not about being perfect. Its not about being smarter or right. Its about doing the best one can at any given time and taking responsibility for ones actions. I call them the big three, professionals in training ... desecration, due diligence, and courtesy. For person like you they seem to come easy.
Re Pleroo.. Very astute of you and also sweet. xo

Old 05-03-2020, 08:16 PM

2,962 posts, read 865,258 times
Many atheists are materialist, and therefore reject any supernatural or paranormal phenomena as being "woo."
I respect thrillobyte for not limiting his worldview to materialism.

Are there any others here, who identify as atheist, but who also hold any superstitious or supernatural beliefs?

I'm not looking to 'debate'. I'm just very interested in the topic.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:25 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Many atheists are materialist, and therefore reject any supernatural or paranormal phenomena as being "woo."

Are there any others here, who identify as atheist, but who also hold any superstitious or supernatural beliefs?

Yes, I have expressed this quite a few times.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:30 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I haven't had a visit from God since I was a very young lad and didn't think to ask such things then. Hasn't visited me ever since or given me another chance to ask anything!

You've changed over the years, now you have to make a straight path,
He doesn't approach by a crooked way.

The book of Daniel mentions the 7 serpents a man carries that prevents him entering union with God,
he meant ego.

Old 05-03-2020, 09:38 PM

10,535 posts, read 6,172,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Apparently you missed the entire thread of the conversation. I already covered that I believe these experiences are highly subjective and that I don't think they should matter to you [generalized atheist "you"] and have not said differently. If you did follow the thread of the conversation, you already know this, so then I'd ask, why the snark?

What I wonder is why some of those who claim those experiences don't matter to them so often are interjecting that fact into the conversations here. Not saying you shouldn't. Just wonder what the point is of you saying it? I mean, when a person posts that their experiences and/or beliefs should matter to everyone else, then sure, I can understand giving such a response. But, in a forum about spirituality and religion, it's not untoward for people to share their spiritual experiences and, perhaps, wish to discuss them with other people who are also having spiritual experiences,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
How is that different than sharing experiences with bowel movements?

I don't know, maybe because the forum is entitled 'Religion and Spirituality'. That's what were all here for right?
When C-D comes up with a subforum: 'Toilets, Bidets and Crouching in the Woods' maybe we will all contribute.

Old 05-03-2020, 11:12 PM

11,033 posts, read 5,995,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post

While I am atheist and materialist and am not superstitious and do not believe in the 'supernatural', I do not rule out the possibility that there may be something more. Something ethereal or whatever. A hidden dimension perhaps (one that exists within the material world but interacts with the material world only weakly, which in fact, makes it part of the material world).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality