Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2020, 12:51 PM

50,926 posts, read 24,432,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Many anti-theists come to R&S specifically to ridicule religious and spiritual beliefs. They seek to shut down any discussion of R&S. They’re emotionally driven to do whatever they can to disrupt genuine discussion religious and spiritual beliefs, and to make R&S an unfriendly place for people to discuss these topics or their experiences. That’s their primary reason for being here.
We try our best since many of you so enjoy being martyrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 01:07 PM

63,903 posts, read 40,178,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Pretty sure LM was tweaking me, Mystic. But I appreciate you saying those things. It's a little easier to be some of those things on a forum, some of the time, since I can censor myself and my own motives before posting.
That is true for all of us, though some do not take advantage of the opportunity to do so.

Old 05-03-2020, 01:30 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,606,902 times
Quote:
Pretty sure LM was tweaking me, Mystic. But I appreciate you saying those things. It's a little easier to be some of those things on a forum, some of the time, since I can censor myself and my own motives before posting.
I second mystic's post. You are what I call professional grade. You know its not about being better. You know its not about being perfect. Its not about being smarter or right. Its about doing the best one can at any given time and taking responsibility for ones actions. I call them the big three, professionals in training ... desecration, due diligence, and courtesy. For person like you they seem to come easy.

Old 05-03-2020, 01:55 PM

8,717 posts, read 3,898,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Again if we put ourselves in the shoes of those who claim God speaks to them, I'm not sure we necessarily have to agree it's all in the mind. In the example or scenario I was describing in any case, if God actually appeared to me and spoke to me just like you might if you entered the room I'm in right now, sat down across the table from me, I would not be able to prove it even if it indeed did happen. So I'd ask for some evidence, a keepsake of some kind. Maybe a piece of rock, for example, unknown to man from some unknown galaxy where God had just vacationed. Something like that, or I would ask why not.

Point is that for those who God DOES visit, no evidence is left, ever, so I can understand how frustrating it must be to have those visits and not be able to do other than say so. Not my problem in any case, because I haven't had a visit from God since I was a very young lad and didn't think to ask such things then. Hasn't visited me ever since or given me another chance to ask anything!

Maybe saving me the same sort of frustration in any case...
Your mind first has to interpret it as god as 'he' isn't in physical form. Else, you'd be able to snap a photo and you'd have your 'logical evidence', yes?

Old 05-03-2020, 02:04 PM

2,962 posts, read 866,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Again if we put ourselves in the shoes of those who claim God speaks to them, I'm not sure we necessarily have to agree it's all in the mind. In the example or scenario I was describing in any case, if God actually appeared to me and spoke to me just like you might if you entered the room I'm in right now, sat down across the table from me, I would not be able to prove it even if it indeed did happen. So I'd ask for some evidence, a keepsake of some kind. Maybe a piece of rock, for example, unknown to man from some unknown galaxy where God had just vacationed. Something like that, or I would ask why not.

Point is that for those who God DOES visit, no evidence is left, ever, so I can understand how frustrating it must be to have those visits and not be able to do other than say so. Not my problem in any case, because I haven't had a visit from God since I was a very young lad and didn't think to ask such things then. Hasn't visited me ever since or given me another chance to ask anything!

Maybe saving me the same sort of frustration in any case...
I haven’t seen you mention that experience before. I’m very interested to hear more about it if you’re willing to share more details. Thanks.

Old 05-03-2020, 02:51 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,800,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Perhaps you could share with us some disabilities you would ask for in your life so that you could thank god even more than you do already. Have you prayed to be given some of those disabilities?
You really should try and stop twisting other people's words around.

Old 05-03-2020, 03:03 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,196,258 times
Quote:
But, in a forum about spirituality and religion, it's not untoward for people to share their spiritual experiences and, perhaps, wish to discuss them with other people who are also having spiritual experiences,
How is that different than sharing experiences with bowel movements?

Those people have been brain-washed and programmed to respond in that way.

Had those people not been brain-washed and programmed, their thinking would be totally different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
God helps others through others, thrill. He's the inspiration, quite often, like it or not.
That's what you blindly believe, but you have no proof of it.

Furthermore, your god-thing doesn't always help others through others.

Quote:
How do you know for certain that God has "let them down"?
Name an amputee that was healed by your god-thing.

I go to the VA. I see a lot of amputees. They aren't exactly doing the Happy Happy Joy Joy dance saying "Look what god did for me!"

In fact, they're just plain miserable, which is why they're in therapy and not church.

The fact that your god has never once healed any blind, deaf, amputee or retarded person proves your god has severe limitations on his powers.

If a god-thing can't heal a retarded person, how could he possibly create a Universe?

Old 05-03-2020, 03:11 PM

2,962 posts, read 866,616 times
Quote:
You really should try and stop twisting other people's words around.
You will not regret putting pheteroi on your ignore list. I did, and when I see his comments quoted, like the one you commented on, I am confident that it was a good decision. (Same goes for Mircea and TroutDude)

Last edited by Iwasmadenew; 05-03-2020 at 03:24 PM..

Old 05-03-2020, 03:12 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,606,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Those people have been brain-washed and programmed to respond in that way.

Had those people not been brain-washed and programmed, their thinking would be totally different.

nipped ...

If a god-thing can't heal a retarded person, how could he possibly create a Universe?
its not different than a bowl movement in that many people are having them.

So what is best explanation for it?

you line of logic? or looking at the system around them that is causing to feel the way the do? Is there any unifying theory that can match what they are claiming?

Old 05-03-2020, 03:19 PM

63,903 posts, read 40,178,831 times
Quote:
But, in a forum about spirituality and religion, it's not untoward for people to share their spiritual experiences and, perhaps, wish to discuss them with other people who are also having spiritual experiences,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
How does this post differ from a monkey flinging poo rather than engaging in intelligent discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality