Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2020, 10:31 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,799,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We are the physical ones and we are God's hands. We are given Dominion over the Earth. God is concerned with our spiritual development. We are to overcome and endure the physical trials and tribulations. This desire for a physically intervening God has caused more unnecessary angst and strife based on the unrealistic and magical expectations demanded of God. We humans created the Omin's without any basis other than religious dogma and wishful thinking. I take God as I found Him and expect nothing more than has been evidenced.
I agree with what I bolded.

Doesn't mean I disagree with what I didn't...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 10:35 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,410,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
<snipped> God helps others through others, thrill. He's the inspiration, quite often, like it or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
<snipped> We are the physical ones and we are God's hands. ...
And even if one does not believe that God inspires it or that people are "God's hands", the point remains that helping others is quite a fulfilling thing for a lot of people. So, whether one's belief is that the inspiration is from God or from their own impulses or a combination of the two, just enjoy it. I think, relatively speaking, as many atheists as theists enjoy the experience regardless of what they attribute it to.

The problem seems to be for someone like Thrill who thinks there is a God that has abandoned us. He says he doesn't have angst about that, but his posts seem to belie that. Or maybe, like he says, he just doesn't want anyone else to expect something from God that he has not experienced to be forthcoming in his own life. And I can understand that as a motivation, as much as I appreciate the motivation of those who have experienced God in a beneficial way wanting to encourage others that they can too.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:37 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,410,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I think church might be the better place to go if the want is to discuss spiritual experiences with people who are also having spiritual experiences. This forum allows anyone to chime in no matter what they believe or what they want to discuss, so I wouldn't recommend this forum for spiritual people who want to bathe in spirituality with others. Yet, they keep coming back, again and again. Interesting, don't you think?
I have no problem with anyone chiming in on any thread. I simply said "I wonder why" people feel the need to continuously interject that other people's experiences don't matter to them.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:40 AM

63,892 posts, read 40,172,494 times
Quote:
I think church might be the better place to go if the want is to discuss spiritual experiences with people who are also having spiritual experiences. This forum allows anyone to chime in no matter what they believe or what they want to discuss, so I wouldn't recommend this forum for spiritual people who want to bathe in spirituality with others. Yet, they keep coming back, again and again. Interesting, don't you think?
Pleroo is correct. There is no justification for snark or pedantic nitpicks. It suggests unflattering motives.

Old 05-03-2020, 11:08 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,605,114 times
Quote:
It's more than just a little concerning to me that so many people think this way. Like going back to the Dark Ages...
going back? I think its been going on from the beginning. we (humans) rarely get to discuss a topic free from agenda's

Old 05-03-2020, 11:14 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,753,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I have no problem with anyone chiming in on any thread. I simply said "I wonder why" people feel the need to continuously interject that other people's experiences don't matter to them.
I don't see it as a need. No one need waste time in this forum in the first place, and I can't speak for anyone else of course, but for me it's simply the want to address the thoughts and comments that seem worthwhile addressing one way or another for whatever reason(s). The reasons are varied and of course all the more given the many who post comments in this forum. Interesting for me to compare and contrast what people think and believe in any case. Also the many different attitudes, styles, sources of heartburn, manner of communication, etc.

Not sure anyone really matters to anyone else in this forum in any case. Not really. It's an anonymous forum after all...

Old 05-03-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Lots of people believe in the Book of Mormon and the Koran also because it works for them!

Does that also make sense to you? If so, if this is the criteria for why you/we should believe in such things, which of all these books that seems to work for so many people is not worthy of our faith or belief in them?
Believe it or not, some of the other books do make sense to me, in some ways. Seems that a lot of what's written overlaps with the bible.

If ALL other books said, in so many ways, "Love thy neighbor", I would say that that PART of the teachings is squared with my own learning. And, loving our neighbor makes sense to me. My "neighbor" isn't necessarily my next door neighbor, although it can mean that. To me it means, help where and when I can. Sometimes, it might mean that I have to make a sacrifice for the good of my neighbor. If we ALL did that, wouldn't life be a lot better than it is now?

The teachings of the bible will only make sense to you IF there's a promise of an after life. A GOOD after life.

Old 05-03-2020, 11:16 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,753,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
going back? I think its been going on from the beginning. we (humans) rarely get to discuss a topic free from agenda's
Good point, but obviously we've come a long way from the days when thinking every catastrophe was the direct will of God. Most of us have anyway. Less burning of witches going on and sacrifices to volcanoes in any case. That's what I meant about Dark Age ways of thinking, though no doubt we've still got a very long way to go!

Old 05-03-2020, 11:20 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,605,114 times
Quote:
Good point, but obviously we've come a long way from the days when thinking every catastrophe was the direct will of God. Most of us have anyway. Less burning of witches going on and sacrifices to volcanoes in any case. That's what I meant about Dark Age ways of thinking, though no doubt we've still got a very long way to go!
yuppers. You heard me post, I think we make the next life form in 200 years or less. That will shift the bell curve to the "enlightened" side. So its coming.

Old 05-03-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
No. True, of course, but there are certainly many millions of people who have had good reason to think so. Right?

The so many millions of people who were brutally subjected to slavery also comes to mind...

Then again I know that many put their faith in God to endure such hardships, so where does that leave us?

Same as always. Wherever we want...
If someone claims to have a better life than their previous life because of God, who are YOU to try to dissuade them ?

Believers keep trying to tell non-believers that God is a personal God.

Yes, millions were subjected to slavery. And one CHRISTIAN man, changed all of that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality