Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2020, 06:54 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,412,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
lets see, we have you calling me ...
coward
old timer
making it up (liar)
man up new aged old timer.
un nipped fellow atheist (whatever that means)
and now you begin to repeat them ...
Hey I didn't know this was going on.
"Think it, don't say it", LastSam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 06:57 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,944,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Hey I didn't know this was going on.
"Think it, don't say it", LastSam.

Thank you, Miss Hepburn.

Think it, don't say it--especially here.

Old 05-24-2020, 06:57 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,601,412 times
ok.

Old 05-24-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
ok.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:47 PM

8,706 posts, read 3,890,039 times
Quote:

The freedom of religion rules in a country are an indicator of the intellectual and emotional maturity of a nation.
It doesn't matter how 'intellectual' or 'emotionally mature' anyone is (or is not); our Bill of Rights protect everyone. If someone wants to believe in an 'evil god' or a loving god or a rock statue, so be it - you can be sure it's not grounded in logic (and it won't be 'reversed' with it either). That's logical reasoning/problem-solving at its core.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It doesn't matter how 'intellectual' or 'emotionally mature' anyone is (or is not); our Bill of Rights protect everyone. If someone wants to believe in an 'evil god' or a loving god or a rock statue, so be it - you can be sure it's not grounded in logic (and it won't be 'reversed' with it either). That's logical reasoning/problem-solving at its core.

I've been thinking as I contemplate this question of "evil God" that maybe God is more a force like a natural law. This God doesn't think or feel or ignore or help--it just works like a computer running the corporation that keeps things humming. In this sense I can begin to separate myself from the question of why a God who sees but ignores evil shouldn't be considered evil Himself. Maybe God isn't a Him, it's an "IT". You know, like a supercomputer operating to the -nth square of octillion. Maybe this universe IS one giant supercomputer and we are just some insignificant screw somewhere in the housing case.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:37 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,764,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I've been thinking as I contemplate this question of "evil God" that maybe God is more a force like a natural law. This God doesn't think or feel or ignore or help--it just works like a computer running the corporation that keeps things humming. In this sense I can begin to separate myself from the question of why a God who sees but ignores evil shouldn't be considered evil Himself. Maybe God isn't a Him, it's an "IT". You know, like a supercomputer operating to the -nth square of octillion. Maybe this universe IS one giant supercomputer and we are just some insignificant screw somewhere in the housing case.
In my teens I concluded that a god (if it existed) ws an 'It'. I'm still of that view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Thrill, this is ONE area where you and I may actually agree *patiently watches as the earth shifts on its own axis by several degrees*

There have been PLENTY of people throughout history who have done things in the name of...something. Whether it's been in Christianity...or atheism...or creating a 'perfect' race...or eliminating those 'evil' Jews...or ridding the world of people who commit/have abortions.

Some people have used, mis-used, mis-translated, misinterpreted and misunderstood their own "religious" books since...whenever. They'll read or hear certain passages or verses and it 'sticks' in such a way, that they go on a 'mission'...WITHOUT reading or understanding the rest of the 'book'. Yes, many atrocities have been committed in the name of "religion" and probably especially Christianity.

I can almost picture Jesus sitting on his throne in heaven, shaking his head, saying to himself, "No, no, no...I didn't mean it that way...." or, "Didn't you read this verse along with that one, so you get the WHOLE meaning of what I said?..." or, "You know darn well I didn't mean it that way...."

All in all, I don't think that Christianity in of itself is "fishy". But I certainly see a whole bunch of people who hide their actions under the cloak of Christianity and/or "religion". Are THOSE people "Christian"? Are they "religious"? I would say not.

And because I AM Christian, I also believe that many of those people are going to be in for a rude awakening, once the truth is revealed. Including you and me....
While I (of course) no not believe in such a judgement, I can relate to a lot of what you said here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Shirina ---Please do not let this one new person that doesn't know you keep you away for months again.

Take care.
Agreed. Let us have Shirina about the place.

Old 05-25-2020, 02:14 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,328,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
LOL. So far two “trust me”s and a “come on” but not one example of the “countless” ones you said you could have chosen from.

I’ll make a note that “trust me” is now a satisfactory response on R&S.

I’m not saying it’s never happened to you but your claim sounds like an out-of-context exaggeration to me. Let's see a specific example of the “countless” ones you referred to. I’m betting an actual example would reveal some interesting context. Trust me on this!
For someone who was apparently "made new" you seem to ask an awful lot of old questions.

The problem that you'll quickly discover about me is that I've been around this block so many times that my footprints are embedded in the sidewalk. It means that I'm not some naive new poster who is unwise to the game you're playing - a game in which I have no desire to participate.

You know full well that digging up old posts that are years old is an almost impossible task. Even if I were able to retrieve those posts, it would require me to waste hours of my time reading through hundreds if not thousands of posts in an effort to find the example you want. And for what? To satisfy your rather caustic curiousity? Just to show you an example you won't accept in any event?

Just because I refuse to embark on an impossible task doesn't mean you win. I hope you're rational enough to understand that, yes?

Because anyone who was genuinely curious and ready to admit being wrong would understand how unfair the task actually is given that I only post here perhaps twice a year - and sometimes not even that often. Whatever spat I may have gotten into with one of the rights-denying Christians on here would represent at best 2 or 3 posts out of thousands. Asking me to find that proverbial needle in a haystack is just plain stupid.

And before you say it, allow me to echo your own words. No. Just because I may have had several run-ins with Christians who have tried to get me removed from this forum by reporting my posts, crying to mods, and telling me to post elsewhere does not mean those spats will be easy to find. Just because I have said it has happened often doesn't mean every other post is an example. Since I am here so rarely, literally thousands of posts pile up between my visits here.

But that's what you're counting on, isn't it. Anyone interested in fairness would never expect someone to do what you are asking me to do. But, since you're still badgering me about it while ignoring the stupidity of such a task only tells me that you have absolutely no intention of admitting you're dead bang wrong no matter how many examples I show you.

Ah yes, I know the "You sets 'em up, I knock 'em down" game all too well - and I've already spent way too much time on this as it is. No matter what example I show you, you will undoubtedly find something "wrong" with it and send me back to the drawing board.

What's more, at least half a dozen posters have thus far stood up for me and said I was telling the truth - and yet that isn't enough for you. The fact that their testimony means nothing to you also shows me that you have no intention of accepting any example as proof; you'll likely claim, "but that's only ONE example so it's still an exaggeration" or something similar.

If you want an example, go find one yourself. I'm sure you can search for posts written by me and eventually find one. If you doubt me so much - as well as the six or more other posters who have agreed with me - then I'm quite confident your little fingers can do the work.

As for me, I couldn't give a rat's fat buttocks whether you believe me or not. After all, who are you to me? What possible reason do I have to waste my time digging through thousands of old posts just for your benefit - only for you to dismiss my examples and demand more? Please ...

But gee, by all means, keep it up. Badger me some more. Poke that hornet's nest a few more times. It's been ... how many months now since I gave someone a shellacking?

Old 05-25-2020, 02:35 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,328,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
From where does this unwarranted skepticism come? Shirina does not lie about her experiences here. Are you pedantically trying to excoriate her for some suspected hyperbole? What would be the point of that intellectually? How would that impact the topic under discussion?
Some people are like that, I guess.

This "Iwasmadenew" person is the type who will be warned a hundred times not to touch the hot stove and yet will happily burn off his/her hand because they refuse to accept knowledge and/or wisdom from another person.

Either that, or he/she is yet another Christian who simply cannot stand hearing about the bad behavior of his/her fellow Christians, therefore, I MUST be wrong. Somehow. Because no Christian would act like THAT!

Never mind you and the several others who have stood up for me and tried to convince this person that I'm telling the truth. Nope. Still not good enough.

It reminds me of the same game the anti-evolutionists like to play when they tell a proponent of evolution that they must describe in detail how evolution works - and do so in their own words - or else they are wrong and evolution is a lie.

In other words, they set up their opponent with an impossible task - one they KNOW is impossible or unrealistic - and when their opponent cannot complete the impossible task, they jump around like malfunctioning springs thinking they won some kind of seminal victory. It's really quite pathetic and, as you say, has no bearing whatsoever on the topic being discussed.

It's just frighteningly poor debate strategy - thus I won't be goaded into digging around for posts that are years old and buried by further years of discussion that I was not a part of. I won't be playing their game and, with luck, this person will leave it alone. We know what the truth is - not this other person who has been here less than a year and is probably basing his/her opinions on the fact that he/she hasn't actually seen me get into it with one of those rights-denying Christians. Because, you know, I ... uh ... just wasn't here, ya know?

America's public schools are really letting down our kids if this is the kind of logic people bring to a debate forum these days. (Yawn) I've heard it all before.

Old 05-25-2020, 03:35 AM

16,807 posts, read 5,005,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
I’m not saying it’s never happened to you but your claim sounds like an out-of-context exaggeration to me.
Just like the gospels?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality