Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2020, 09:32 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,768,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Considering that Project Mohole was taking place about 60 years ago, and we haven't made much progress on it since then, I doubt this discussion is very productive to determining whether atheism is a rejection or disbelief in an evil god.
Probably as productive as any other discussions so far...

At least this one is different! No less whacky but different!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Because, overall, it is not good for us. I have read, with some sadness, your excusing of a situation that we have to accept as being bad, because the universe does not care about our welfare; only we as a species, do.
What is the source of this sadness I wonder...

Old 05-23-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Your social crusades are irrelevant to questions of origins. It's as though you purposely act as a hindrance to various discussions to lean towards your ready made framework.

You have all of the answers but you can't enjoy your accomplishments because somewhere, someone thinks differently.
I see you as far more the hindrance, proving yet again we're all free to believe whatever we want to. Also free to disagree with you, especially when there is so often the ongoing good reason(s) to do so!

Old 05-23-2020, 09:41 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,793,492 times
Quote:
Your obsession with atheism is like some jr. high school kid who's been accepted into some club he/she thought they'd would have never been allowed to join in a million years! I get it. It's very important to you but by the same token it's nothing burger for others...and that's okay too.
That from someone who thought I couldn't understand Post McCarthyite anti -liberalism unless I came for a stroll around Milwaukee.

You continue to prove my point and destroy the argument you were trying to make. You understand nothing about atheism, ad do not want to because you have a dislike of it (for political reasons, I'd bet my pension). And because you have no valid case and will not admit to the reason for your dislike of 'New' atheism, you have to resort to the sort of ad hom. attacks that we'd expect from the Arachs and the Bapfuns. What good company you are in Gabs. And it isn't even needed as I see you as one of us, really. You'd lose nothing by dropping this absurd anti -atheist view but gain, rather. I won't name any more names but I see one poster here, non long since, as violently critical of 'New' atheism as you seem to be. He seems to have got over that (as it was pointless anyway) and so can you.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-23-2020 at 10:06 AM..

Old 05-23-2020, 09:42 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,020,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I see you as far more the hindrance, proving yet again we're all free to believe whatever we want to. Also free to disagree with you, especially when there is so often the ongoing good reason(s) to do so!
You are spouting off and trying to render aid without knowing what you are talking about. Some religious topics are heavily discouraged. The problem is the notions/questions remain.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:42 AM

1,402 posts, read 479,229 times
Quote:
People should always be allowed the opportunity to reason. Out of sight, out of mind is what's getting us in deeper doo.
I certainly agree with that. But does "opportunity to reason" mean to fill in the blanks with whatever comes to mind, no matter how far-fetched and unsupported, and then pass all that along as established fact? If so, I don't find that particularly... reasonable.

Reasoning backed by evidence (ironclad proof not required) and some semblance of likelihood (but no guarantees) is how we advance knowledge. Reasoning without any evidence or likelihood would better be called what it is... "letting your imagination run wild" or perhaps "the source of great works of fiction."

Old 05-23-2020, 09:44 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,020,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
I certainly agree with that. But does "opportunity to reason" mean to fill in the blanks with whatever comes to mind, no matter how far-fetched and unsupported, and then pass all that along as established fact? If so, I don't find that particularly... reasonable.

Reasoning backed by evidence (ironclad proof not required) and some semblance of likelihood (but no guarantees) is how we advance knowledge. Reasoning without any evidence or likelihood would better be called what it is... "letting your imagination run wild" or perhaps "the source of great works of fiction."
It's not your bandwidth. Let the children reason it out.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Your obsession with atheism is like some jr. high school kid who's been accepted into some club he/she thought they'd would have never been allowed to join in a million years! I get it. It's very important to you, but by the same token it's a nothing burger for others...and that's okay too.
And your obsession with TRANSPONDER?

Not sure I can come up with a good analogy that helps make sense of the likes, but I'm thinking something like a stalker driven by some deep down underlying anger about something that happened during childhood...

Old 05-23-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
You are spouting off and trying to render aid without knowing what you are talking about. Some religious topics are heavily discouraged. The problem is the notions/questions remain.
I'm also free to spout if if I like, and you inspire me to do so more than most!

Old 05-23-2020, 09:47 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,793,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
What is the source of this sadness I wonder...
It is the opting for the comfortable lie rather than the hard truth. That to me is always sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I am ashamed to admit that as a young Christian newbie I (blush ) fell for it.

Ahhhhh......Ahhhhhh!
......Ahhhhhh....Ahhhhhhhhh!
..........Ahhhhhhhhhh.......!
.....Hellllllllllll............P!
Agonize not. I can well imagine that before i'd been around the block a couple of thousand times, I might have been shook up meself - just as i was on AN (pre the 2006 date tattooed on each eyelid) when the T -Rex soft tissue story broke. the hadrosaur 'mummy' wasn't a problem, but (supposedly) 60 million year old dinosaur meat rocked us back on our cloven hooves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Really? Everything in this world is based in science, physics, biology, chemistry,
quantum physics, math, calculus, geometry as far as I can see. Sow and reap - science.
Godfaith is not based on science, Miss H. At best, it malforms science to twist it into looking like it supports the faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality