Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2020, 09:10 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,771,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Your social crusades are irrelevant to questions of origins. It's as though you purposely act as a hindrance to various discussions to lean towards your ready made framework.

You have all of the answers but you can't enjoy your accomplishments because somewhere, someone thinks differently.
Tell yourself whatever you need to. It is "irrelevant" to me. Other than as an example of this peculiarly American phenomenon: atheists that are anti -atheist -for political reasons. Mr. 'problem with Democracy'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 09:14 AM

1,402 posts, read 478,798 times
Quote:
The beauty of things is that you do not have to endow anything.
Who really cares?
Works for me! Would that everyone saw the beauty in that.

We all have our pet peeves and "triggers." One of mine is the lengths (or depths, in this case...) that people will go to, in order to construct and then embellish an ever-expanding narrative. Until we know if there actually IS any place like hell (or heaven, or Valhalla, or Eden, or wherever), I think it is premature to be discussing where the furniture is placed, how many virgins await us, what color togas we will be wearing, and how much face time we will have with the (also imagined) angel who runs the place. That moves us from a potentially interesting (if still unanswerable) question to the realm of pure make believe and gibberish.

Last edited by HeelaMonster; 05-23-2020 at 09:25 AM..

Old 05-23-2020, 09:16 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,753,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
God's pretty simple. 2+2=4...always, always will be.
Sow /reap, there is a System - Be still and know God...Ask/ receive, believe/ receive...
as a man thinketh so he is...simple stuff. Follow along and voila!
Not rocket science.
I get it, but I think a little too simple for me...

Also good for you though!

Old 05-23-2020, 09:16 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,017,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Tell yourself whatever you need to. It is "irrelevant" to me. Other than as a symbol of this peculiarly American phenomenon - atheists that are anti -atheist -for political reasons. Mr. 'problem with Democracy'.
Your views of America are out there. Hopefully, you will get a chance to visit and have look about the states.

America is 100x's larger in population than Wales. Perhaps you do not understand how diverse 300 million people can be.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Really? Everything in this world is based in science, physics, biology, chemistry,
quantum physics, math, calculus, geometry as far as I can see. Sow and reap - science.
Interesting how you so quickly go from 2 + 2 = 4 to science, physics, biology, chemistry and quantum physics! One needs to get a good deal further down the path of comprehension and understanding to get from simple math to rocket science. Seems you don't recognize your understanding of God to be anything but simple. Again good for you if you see it that way...

For me, however, understanding the universe (made by God if you insist) is anything but simple! Or all our scientists would suddenly be out of work!

Old 05-23-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Your views of America are out there. Hopefully, you will get a chance to visit and have look about the states.
I am visiting, and learned enough about the situation from reading the posts of people like yourself. You obviously haven't thought through the kneejerk response of suggesting that I fly in and walk around, as though that's going to tell me what people think.

We learn a lot more more from their posts. Though you managed to keep your own anti -atheism well -concealed - a 'sleeper' for decades.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-23-2020 at 10:04 AM..

Old 05-23-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
That works for me! Would that everyone saw the beauty in that.

We all have our pet peeves and "triggers." One of mine is the lengths (or depths, in this case...) that people will go to, in order to construct and then embellish an ever-expanding narrative. Until we know if there actually IS any place like hell (or heaven, or Valhalla, or Eden, or wherever), I think it is premature to be discussing where the furniture is placed, how many virgins await us, what color togas we will be wearing, and how much face time we will have with the (also imagined) ruler who runs the place. That moves us from a potentially interesting (if still unanswerable) question to the realm of pure make believe and gibberish.
People should always be allowed the opportunity to reason. Out of sight, out of mind is what's getting us in deeper doo.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Let atheism be. It's a freedom, just like theist belief and spirituality. It's just the opposite side of the same coin.

It doesn't matter what atheism is supposed to mean. If you don't like it, fine. If you do like, fine too. We all have free will and they ability to choose.

People could yell and scream at what they think of broccoli too, but at the end of the day, it's not going to mean anything.
Very true, especially in this forum and cause for my Cement Theory, but I don't think the discussion here is about this freedom you describe. It's about applying that freedom for the purpose of discerning fact from fiction. Truth from falsehoods. More about that for me anyway. Might call it a way to test our theories along these lines in the best way we know how, with or without a holy book for guidance. With our without reason and logic as we are all better or worse at applying.

Meanwhile, of course we all have the freedom to believe whatever we want to believe. The history of Man has well demonstrated we are free to believe just about ANYTHING! And have been doing so since before we became able to control the god of fire...

Old 05-23-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Oh puh-LEEZ, thrill. The robber is the law breaker; not the law creator. If you want to make a comparison, compare what God offers to what civil law offers. If you obey the law, you stay out of jail. If you obey God, you stay out of hell. Do you obey the law because you don't want to go to jail or because you understand why it's a law in the first place?

The difference is that the Law is intended to protect people from exploitation and to benefit humanity (that's the idea, anyway) but what God does is to benefit only God and to hell with humans and what's good for them.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I am visiting, and learnbed enough about the situation from reading the post of people like yourself. You obviously haven't thought through the kneejerk response of suggesting that I fly in and walk around, as though that's going to tell me what people think.

We learn a lot more more from their posts. Though you manages to keep your own anti -atheism well -concealed - a 'sleeper' for decades.
Your obsession with atheism is like some jr. high school kid who's been accepted into some club he/she thought they'd would have never been allowed to join in a million years! I get it. It's very important to you, but by the same token it's a nothing burger for others...and that's okay too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality