Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2020, 07:54 PM

1,402 posts, read 479,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
its really not atheism versus theism. Its more about addressing irrational beliefs no matter what they are. A deity sending us to hell is quite the irrational belief.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Why?
Let me count the ways...

1. First, we have an entity (deity) for which there is no evidence, with one very reasonable conclusion being that this entity is a product of the human imagination.

2. Despite the fundamental question of its very existence, we proceed to endow it with abilities for which we also have no evidence. In this instance, the ability to send us places.

3. Then we add to the mix a location (hell) for which there is even LESS reason to think exists (because there is no "gap" for that thing to fill), and therefore is even MORE likely to be a product of the human imagination.

That's a whole lot of unsubstantiated supposition to pack into so few words ("a deity sending us to hell"). I'd say Arach is on pretty firm ground questioning the rationality of such a belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 08:45 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,019,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Let me count the ways...

1. First, we have an entity (deity) for which there is no evidence, with one very reasonable conclusion being that this entity is a product of the human imagination.

2. Despite the fundamental question of its very existence, we proceed to endow it with abilities for which we also have no evidence. In this instance, the ability to send us places.

3. Then we add to the mix a location (hell) for which there is even LESS reason to think exists (because there is no "gap" for that thing to fill), and therefore is even MORE likely to be a product of the human imagination.

That's a whole lot of unsubstantiated supposition to pack into so few words ("a deity sending us to hell"). I'd say Arach is on pretty firm ground questioning the rationality of such a belief.
Some seem to think it's the earth's molten core.

https://earthobservatory.sg/faq-on-e...rior-earth-hot

Old 05-22-2020, 09:03 PM

1,761 posts, read 761,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
I didn't ask to be born.

Was there a me before I was born Mink?
How could you ask to exist before you existed? Were you the creator of yourself?

I don't believe that there is a hell.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:28 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,228,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
How could you ask to exist before you existed? Were you the creator of yourself?

I don't believe that there is a hell.
For most of us, hell is what happens on this go-round.

For some, it's what happens on their way to the next one.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:34 PM

50,960 posts, read 24,450,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
For most of us, hell is what happens on this go-round.

For some, it's what happens on their way to the next one.
Some Buddhists see it more as what is in their minds as a culmination of bad karma.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:46 PM

18,253 posts, read 16,956,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Some seem to think it's the earth's molten core.

https://earthobservatory.sg/faq-on-e...rior-earth-hot

It's a well-known fact that the Russians were drilling the deepest hole on earth and they went so deep their drill broke through a ceiling and when they lowered microphones into the hole they recorded screams of the damned before the mikes melted from the heat. Here's proof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdl11MHqA3s

Old 05-22-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
It's a well-known fact that the Russians were drilling the deepest hole on earth and they went so deep their drill broke through a ceiling and when they lowered microphones into the hole they recorded screams of the damned before the mikes melted from the heat. Here's proof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdl11MHqA3s
I don't believe we've even made it in to the mantle yet.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:15 PM

11,073 posts, read 6,014,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
That was of course a hoax. But then you knew that.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:15 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,019,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't believe we've even made it in to the mantle yet.
Reportedly, around the 7 mile +/- mark , the temp was much greater than expected and it was much too hot for the drill bit to continue.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Reportedly, around the 7 mile +/- mark , the temp was much greater than expected and it was much too hot for the drill bit to continue.
Considering that Project Mohole was taking place about 60 years ago, and we haven't made much progress on it since then, I doubt this discussion is very productive to determining whether atheism is a rejection or disbelief in an evil god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality