Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2020, 03:07 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
How would a god 'not care', when the entire point by which man created a god was to experience hope/support re: death, illness and morality based in fear? It wouldn't serve the purpose for which he was created.
that assume "the reason he created us was for ..."

it looks more like a hierarchy of structure.

We are here,
so it is here.
then feedback loops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 03:21 PM

8,690 posts, read 3,879,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
that assume "the reason he created us was for ..."
The inference isn't he created us; but rather, man created (the idea) of him. Have you ever heard of anyone (no matter their particular religion) speak to an 'all knowing/all hating or evil god' who doesn't care? Of course not; there wouldn't be a point.

Old 05-09-2020, 03:27 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times
Quote:
How would a god 'not care', when the entire point by which man created a god was to experience hope/support re: death, illness and morality based in fear? It wouldn't serve the purpose for which he was created.

You're forgetting that the level of suffering in this world is so great that it turns a large percentage of people away from God. If God's purpose is to try to teach us something He sure chose a half-baked away to do it. I'd expect an entity with the ultimate wisdom of a God to find a way to teach us the things you mention without turning a significant portion of the world population into agnosticism, atheism, deism, pantheism and a whole variety of belief systems contrary to what He's expecting. His method, unless there is some kind of higher purpose we cannot begin to fathom, is so slipshod it begs the question, "What in the possible hell can He be thinking?" I can think of one possibility: we are on this earth not to experience happiness, but to experience misery and pain. This is the first step in some greater purpose for our eternal-long growth. That's all I can come up with that offers a satisfactory explanation for God's apparent total disinterest in our human condition. For example, why do 95% of all fatal diseases involve suffering ranging from mild to extreme? If God were merciful why couldn't it be the other way around? Why couldn't it be 95% quick painless death, 5% long painful suffering, then death?

Right now I am watching a documentary about Cornavirus. The docu stated there are about 1.5 million known viruses. Almost all of them cause some degree of painful fatality. Why? What's the logical reason God created these devil viruses? To torment us? Doesn't that make Him an evil God? Maybe we should just eliminate the word "logical" because there's nothing logical about it.

I think the easiest way to cope with all this is to push God completely out of our minds. Forget Him. Trying to figure all this out just gives some of us a big, fat headache and who needs more pain. Treat Him like He doesn't exist the same way He treats us like we don't exist. That's the easiest way to go about our lives: things are the way they are. No rhyme, no reason. Period. I know it sounds like atheism, but for me I still know He's out there. I just treat Him like an ex- who dumped me. Out of sight, out of mind, out of life.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 05-09-2020 at 04:31 PM..

Old 05-09-2020, 03:40 PM

11,036 posts, read 5,995,283 times
As I've said before. The non-existence of God makes everything fall into place. Only then does it makes any sense.

I also have no problems with abiogenesis and evolution to the current state we see today. The mind bogglingly complex and large genome is quite understandable.

To me anyway.

I go with the man created God concept. Now what that means in real terms is an unknown to me. I have a few ideas though.

Old 05-09-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
As I've said before. The non-existence of God makes everything fall into place. Only then does it makes any sense.

I also have no problems with abiogenesis and evolution to the current state we see today. The mind bogglingly complex and large genome is quite understandable.

To me anyway.

I go with the man created God concept. Now what that means in real terms is an unknown to me. I have a few ideas though.
actually, we are in a system better described as alive makes everything fall into place. that offers a mechanism, has repeatable predictions, and holds true under more conditional changes than

"there is no god".

Old 05-09-2020, 04:33 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post

To me anyway.

Share them with us.

Old 05-09-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
The inference isn't he created us; but rather, man created (the idea) of him. Have you ever heard of anyone (no matter their particular religion) speak to an 'all knowing/all hating or evil god' who doesn't care? Of course not; there wouldn't be a point.
yeah, you have point there.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:58 PM

63,849 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You're forgetting that the level of suffering in this world is so great that it turns a large percentage of people away from God. If God's purpose is to try to teach us something He sure chose a half-baked away to do it. I'd expect an entity with the ultimate wisdom of a God to find a way to teach us the things you mention without turning a significant portion of the world population into agnosticism, atheism, deism, pantheism and a whole variety of belief systems contrary to what He's expecting. His method, unless there is some kind of higher purpose we cannot begin to fathom, is so slipshod it begs the question, "What in the possible hell can He be thinking?" I can think of one possibility: we are on this earth not to experience happiness, but to experience misery and pain. This is the first step in some greater purpose
Ask yourself, thrill, what kind of environment would be necessary to foster a completely independent and self motivated conscious mind that understands the difference between good and evil, recognizes suffering and injustice, and prefers love?

Old 05-10-2020, 12:21 AM

16,798 posts, read 4,996,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
You claim no one is hand-waving, then you go on to do just that...

“Time working against the process? That alone is enough to NOT watch your video.

Your Discovery Institute video is refuted by 1) being a Discovery Institute video,...”

Your eagerness to dismiss information based the source of that information is not a trait of a logical thinker.
Another dishonest ad hominem from you, as I expected. I did not dismiss the information, I explained his error the first time you posted your video from the Dishonesty Institute. The probability of getting three heads from tossing three coins argument that you ignored. Using probability 101 to refute a dishonest source is rational, to post a refuted dishonest source is not.

And let me quote my argument you truncated in full. "Your Discovery Institute video is refuted by 1) being a Discovery Institute video, and 2) those 50 papers I linked to. Have you finished researching them all in your 'honest, open minded' search for truth?"

Have you done your homework, or did you flap your hands and fly away again?

Quote:
Your English is fine, your reasoning is infantile.
Probability 101 is infantile? Making stupid arguments like yours is not a trait of a logical thinker.

Quote:
I feel sorry for you. You’re a troubled individual who seems desperate to convince yourself that God doesn’t exist. You’ll learn the truth one day.
I feel sorry for YOU. You’re a troubled individual who seems desperate to convince yourself that your version of your god DOES exist. You already know the truth, that is why you have to constantly lie for your belief.

Have a MATForce medal, your services to atheism is amazing.

Old 05-10-2020, 12:25 AM

16,798 posts, read 4,996,217 times
Quote:
To assume your understanding of evolution is better than that of James Tour is monumentally delusional.
To presume James Tour is being honest is monumentally delusional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality