Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2022, 05:23 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Are you kidding me? Some of your top notch demon removers are Pentecostals and Assembly of God men. Just ask them.

No, exorcism them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms2Tu-4AHL8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2022, 06:30 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Sounds like you're saying he may have had a very good reason why he did what he did--you cannot be sure. Is that what you're implying?
sort of like killing cancer cells ...

to the cancer ... its total evil.

Old 05-31-2022, 09:45 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
"A Brief History of Creation", by Bill Mesler. I listened to the first half-hour or so, but I had questions! So, I kept pausing the recording. I saw that it would take about 10+ hours to "listen", and thought, "Well, that kind of sux..." So...figured it was best if I just buy it instead.
Ah yes. I LOVED that book! So interesting not only from a religious standpoint, but how the history of science unfolded is amazing too. Of course I'm also very interested in all things science, so I'm biased that way...

I was also curious about you choosing to give it a listen rather than a read. Do you do these audio books often instead of reading? I've never really liked the audio books. My wife and I tried one on a long drive once, and we had to stop because although the book was interesting, the listening while driving seemed to be lulling us to sleep. While driving that's not a good thing.

Do you like to read? Sure hope you find "Brief" a good read. I've recommended it to everyone I know that is interested in those sorts of subjects. If you do find it worthwhile, again "Sapiens" is an excellent read too.

Cheers and happy reading to you!

Old 05-31-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
I don't see you as trying to insult me, and I appreciate that you're not. You seem to be one of a 'few' people here who is trying to understand my thinking...as a Christian...instead of condemning.

I do not believe that *my* God is responsible for all that happens. I do see two opposing forces at work here: Good and Evil. And yes, while God allows 'evil', it's to contrast to what is 'good'.

I'm not insensitive to non-believers. Heck, I came pretty close to becoming a non-believer myself for a few years, as I posted to LearnMe a few weeks ago. But I realized that I never really gave my belief a chance. I never tried to understand. And once I did, it all came together for me. I realized that there's so much more to this life that we don't understand. And, while tragedies do occur, it doesn't necessarily mean that's it's all 'bad'.

I look at it like this: What IF the seemingly senseless deaths of those children, actually brought SOME people closer to God? And while you, as a non-believer, may think, "How could ANYONE become closer to God because of this tragedy?", perhaps for SOME, it happens.

A casket-maker personally went to the homes of some of the deceased. He offered to personalize the caskets of each and every child. From what I believe and understand about God, God elevated this guy to one of the highest positions in heaven because of his compassion and sincerity. Because of his heart. If this guy had any 'stain' of sin on his soul, those sins would have been wiped out, because of his kindness. So, in a sense, the deaths of those children just might save other souls.

I wish I had more time to write about this.
I certainly don't want to insult anyone here, although I will admit sometimes people post comments that seem deserving of push-back in the strongest of terms...

So interesting to me how people can go through many of these same sorts of experiences and wind up in a completely different place. It's always seemed to me I gave faith a good long try from an early start, so in no way do I feel I really didn't give it a try. I'm not even sure I was "trying" since at an early age I really didn't consider any other way. Funny compared to what you write, it was as I tried to understand more and more about religion, god and spirituality that I came to realize I could no longer sustain my faith. Until finally I simply had no choice but to become an atheist. Admit to being an atheist.

I don't try to make any sense out of the killing of those children or the countless numbers of people who die these senseless deaths because of crazy people. For me they are incredibly horrible cases of "man's inhumanity to man" that manifests itself in so many horrible ways. Leaving all of us to work through them as best we can mentally and emotionally. I don't blame any sort of god, but if I was a believer and could communicate in any way with such a thing, I'd have some choice questions to ask. That's for sure...

Last edited by LearnMe; 05-31-2022 at 10:10 AM..

Old 05-31-2022, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The two threads were merged at the OP's request when the OP realized he had started another thread on the same thought, but I don't think either title really said what it was he is trying to express. When a thread is merged, the older one is going to be the one that the newer merges into.

I THINK his thoughts are running along the line that it's not God in general that people reject, but rather the cruel, evil version of God that is often presented and how that presentation of God is what screws things up. He can correct me if I am wrong.

And maybe if someone can think of a more accurate title, we could change it.
Thank you for explaining. Now I certainly better understand, although these thread titles are a bit curious in more than a few ways.

How about the title "Why Blame God? (And if guilty, what to do about it)."

Old 05-31-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
"Atheism is an Abreaction to the Irrational and Supernatural OmniGod of Religions."
Heavy...

ab·re·ac·tion

the expression and consequent release of a previously repressed emotion, achieved through reliving the experience that caused it (typically through hypnosis or suggestion).

Not true in my case anyway, so I might be drawn to a thread title like this one to straighten this notion out a bit as well.

Old 05-31-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Near 6000 posts...the longest thread in the history of the forum (by far), just to say, "It's not God in general that people reject, but rather the cruel, evil version of God that is often presented and how that presentation of God is what screws things up."?

And that requires countless references to God by the most insulting invectives (even profane & vulgar)...endless demands for explanation of Scripture about prayer...repeat every Problem of Evil argument (with details of the problems) known...and ceaseless criticism of Christianity & the Adherents thereof?

I have a more accurate title. A much more accurate title. But I don't wanna get kicked off the board.
Man have you got issues! I can't believe how hard and long you beat this tired old drum...

Old 05-31-2022, 10:27 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,657,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Man have you got issues! I can't believe how hard and long you beat this tired old drum...
I rarely, if ever, initiate...I only respond. So...the initiators of the threads/posts I reply to determine quantity of "drum beats".
A 6000 post thread (the longest ever on the board) is kinda noteworthy....NO?

Old 05-31-2022, 10:44 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times
How about the title, "Atheism as Rejection of an Evil God Who Still Bears Responsibility for How Screwed Up the World is."

The premise in my mind is "Atheism can take many forms and is not wholly dependent on simply not believing a God exists. Rather atheism can take the form of a person living one's life as if no God exists despite having an agnosticism, even belief that one does--that even if the whole world lived as if no deity existed this higher being would still owe a duty of some degree of care to its creation, assuming a good-enough case could be made that there is sufficient evidence to at least suspect this evil God could have kick-start life on earth and then abandoned it.

Old 05-31-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I rarely, if ever, initiate...I only respond. So...the initiators of the threads/posts I reply to determine quantity of "drum beats".
A 6000 post thread (the longest ever on the board) is kinda noteworthy....NO?
Perhaps, but not really...

This back-and-forth and your heartburn has been going on too long to remember how it started and either way, all of us only swing at the balls we think worth swinging for. Always seems you go for all the balls "way and outside!" Less complaining and more focus on the gist of these topics is what I'm highly encouraging all to do, but of course there's what's entertaining and worthwhile for you regardless what it might be for others. I get it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality