Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2022, 09:07 AM

18,256 posts, read 16,970,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Thanks for sharing.

I can't say I've ever had a feeling like that, though I can think of moments that might qualify. I'm not sure.

Personally, I find emotions to be too subjective to really be of any use in matters such as this.

Well, from what I've read you seem to be a more intellectually-driven person. Catholicism made more sense to you and others who weighed the facts and went with Catholicism. And that's well and good if Catholicism works for you. I always say, if religion helps a person get through another extremely difficult day in an even more extremely difficult life, then use it--believe in it. My thing is to just to give both sides of the story to the people in here who are on the fence about trying to make a decision which direction to go. If after they've heard my and others' skeptical side of the negatives they still want to pursue Christianity, then by all means they should go for it if Christianity will help them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2022, 09:42 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,398,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Jesus says, "Behold I stand at the door and knock. If anyone will open the door I will come in and have supper with him". Nonsense! I once grew frustrated as hell waiting for the knock so I opened the door wide, even put a sign out there saying, "Jesus, feel free to enter." Jesus was a no-show. For me and for hundreds of millions of other disappointed former Christians.
I was wondering where I had heard this story ^ before...

Oh, that's right - 1 Kings 19:11-13
... and Matthew 25:34-45

Thrill, what Christian tradition were you raised in if you don't mind me asking?

Old 05-18-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
I was wondering where I had heard this story ^ before...

Oh, that's right - 1 Kings 19:11-13
... and Matthew 25:34-45

Thrill, what Christian tradition were you raised in if you don't mind me asking?
Raised Catholic. Then gf had a religious experience out on Hollywood Blvd with the notorious Children of God cult and I just sort of followed suit and went with Protestantism though I sincerely did wantd to "find Jesus". But I never did even though I prayed and prayed and prayed. Now in honest disclosure I admit I was living a semi-sinful life at the time so Christians can argue because of that Jesus wouldn't reveal himself to me. But if Jesus is going to decide to come to people or not based on that criteria and hundreds of other anyone can read about if they google "Why doesn't God answer my prayers", then it's understandable why God doesn't manifest himself to most of us in any meaningful way such as answered prayer.

Here's just one list:

SIN

LACK OF FAITH

PRAYING AMISS

FEAR

WORDLESS

PRIDE

IMPATIENCE

FAMILIARITY

RELIGION

VAIN REPETITION

NEGATIVE CONFESSION

IRRESPONSIBILITY

LAZINESS

STRIFE

HINDERING SPIRITS

FOUNDATIONAL PROBLEMS

https://everydayprayerguide.com/2019...-not-answered/

and on and on. Go through the other websites and you'll find hundreds more reasons why God doesn't answer prayers. My opinion: it's just excuse-making for a god who either doesn't exist or doesn't care in the slightest to manifest himself us. Truth is, NOBODY can measure up to the list of requirements they give to get God to respond to us--and that was the whole point of giving all these excuses: to give an absent God an "out" without making him look bad--in other words, as Mink and others always say, "It's not God's fault, it's your fault."

Last edited by thrillobyte; 05-18-2022 at 11:19 AM..

Old 05-18-2022, 11:32 AM

5,524 posts, read 7,361,360 times
Quote:
Raised Catholic. Then gf had a religious experience out on Hollywood Blvd with the notorious Children of God cult and I just sort of followed suit and went with Protestantism though I sincerely did wantd to "find Jesus". But I never did even though I prayed and prayed and prayed. Now in honest disclosure I admit I was living a semi-sinful life at the time so Christians can argue because of that Jesus wouldn't reveal himself to me. But if Jesus is going to decide to come to people or not based on that criteria and hundreds of other anyone can read about if they google "Why doesn't God answer my prayers", then it's understandable why God doesn't manifest himself to most of us in any meaningful way such as answered prayer.

Here's just one list:

SIN

LACK OF FAITH

PRAYING AMISS

FEAR

WORDLESS

PRIDE

IMPATIENCE

FAMILIARITY

RELIGION

VAIN REPETITION

NEGATIVE CONFESSION

IRRESPONSIBILITY

LAZINESS

STRIFE

HINDERING SPIRITS

FOUNDATIONAL PROBLEMS

and on and on. Go through the other websites and you'll find hundreds more reasons why God doesn't answer prayers. My opinion: it's just excuse-making for a god who either doesn't exist or doesn't care in the slightest to manifest himself us. Truth is, NOBODY can measure up to the list of requirements they give to get God to respond to us--and that was the whole point of giving all these excuses: to give an absent God an "out" without making him look bad--in other words, as Mink and others always say, "It's not God's fault, it's your fault."

I believe I too have all of the traits, sins, and behaviors you outline.
In fact my list is much longer and comprehensive.

And that is exactly where the Good Lord met me. At my worst.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I believe I too have all of the traits, sins, and behaviors you outline.
In fact my list is much longer and comprehensive.

And that is exactly where the Good Lord met me. At my worst.

That's great for you, and I'm sincere when I say that. So God ignores all these faults you have and still makes contact with you. But then there is the millions of others who leave Jesus because they feel he ignores them. How would you explain why Jesus responds to you and not them if you're all having the same issues?

Old 05-18-2022, 12:26 PM

20,104 posts, read 13,560,465 times
Quote:

Here's just one list:

SIN

LACK OF FAITH

PRAYING AMISS

FEAR

WORDLESS

PRIDE

IMPATIENCE

FAMILIARITY

RELIGION

VAIN REPETITION

NEGATIVE CONFESSION

IRRESPONSIBILITY

LAZINESS

STRIFE

HINDERING SPIRITS

FOUNDATIONAL PROBLEMS

What is wrong with being WORDLESS? Seems like a virtue to me.

Or maybe that's a corruption of "worldiness"?

I love the "praying amiss" one.

Quote:
You have not because you ask not.
You ask, and have not, because you ask amiss, that you might consume it upon your lusts.
People spout this all the time, not realizing it is really just saying that you're responsible to ask for what you need (despite that an all-knowing god would already be aware of it and you can even find verses about god answering before you even think to ask). Yet at the same time, god is not responsible for responding because he can just accuse you of impure motives or insufficient piety instead. This sets people on an endless quest to be Worthy. It is no wonder that the same miserly spirit infects our every form of public aid. Largely because of these religious sentiments, it's assumed that people deserve to go hungry since they're probably just lazy or bad with money, so why would we help the most vulnerable or needy? Let them die, and decrease the surplus population! Bah! Humbug!

The reality is that god so seldom answers prayers that most people must be asking amiss despite their best efforts, which means there's no point in even trying to be "good". It's like an answered prayer in Christianity is as rare as a Buddhist achieving enlightenment.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:52 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,671,220 times
Quote:
That's great for you, and I'm sincere when I say that. So God ignores all these faults you have and still makes contact with you. But then there is the millions of others who leave Jesus because they feel he ignores them. How would you explain why Jesus responds to you and not them if you're all having the same issues?
Jesus was the perfect example of human conduct and interaction...for everyone.
We are all flawed...Jesus is the template for us to go by...to help us resonate with The Divine.
Anyone that "left Jesus" because he didn't turn out to their "Wish Granting Genie"...was diminished by that mistake.

Old 05-18-2022, 01:11 PM

7,325 posts, read 6,947,683 times
The key the meeting God is the desperation of abandoning the rebellion that divide you from God.
I came to Jesus as a child and not fallen back into rebellion as some have.
Jesus said , Blessed are they that do hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled.
The key is honest desperation God sees in the heart . People make a show of interest but it’s not the same.
Another thing that happens is after a while complacency, no longer desperate for God’s approval. Been there done that mentality, not good.
Jesus made it clear, Not every one that says to Me Lord,Lord, shall enter the kingdom of Heaven, but he that does the will of my Father.
To know God’s will one must have the Holy Spirit only Jesus can provide .
From the beginning it was God’s intention to teach man, man chose another influence.
Which influence do you value most?

Old 05-18-2022, 01:11 PM

And I'm happy for you too, gldn, though I don't know why.

Old 05-18-2022, 01:16 PM

20,104 posts, read 13,560,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
The key the meeting God is the desperation of abandoning the rebellion that divide you from God.
I came to Jesus as a child and not fallen back into rebellion as some have.
Jesus said , Blessed are they that do hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled.
The key is honest desperation God sees in the heart . People make a show of interest but it’s not the same.
Another thing that happens is after a while complacency, no longer desperate for God’s approval. Been there done that mentality, not good.
Jesus made it clear, Not every one that says to Me Lord,Lord, shall enter the kingdom of Heaven, but he that does the will of my Father.
To know God’s will one must have the Holy Spirit only Jesus can provide .
From the beginning it was God’s intention to teach man, man chose another influence.
Which influence do you value most?
So ... god values desperation and hyper-aroused anxiety? No wonder by the lights of some of his followers he does not have a welcoming or affirming aspect; he wants everyone "desperate for his approval". So he's aloof instead. Keeps 'em guessing.

Sounds like a pretty dysfunctional and abusive relationship to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality