Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2022, 09:16 AM

29,558 posts, read 9,774,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Well, from what I've read you seem to be a more intellectually-driven person. Catholicism made more sense to you and others who weighed the facts and went with Catholicism. And that's well and good if Catholicism works for you. I always say, if religion helps a person get through another extremely difficult day in an even more extremely difficult life, then use it--believe in it. My thing is to just to give both sides of the story to the people in here who are on the fence about trying to make a decision which direction to go. If after they've heard my and others' skeptical side of the negatives they still want to pursue Christianity, then by all means they should go for it if Christianity will help them.
I was wondering where I read this sort of thing before and now I remember. My comment posted right there just before you posted yours...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 01:13 PM

18,255 posts, read 16,968,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Seems a lot like that to me too, but ultimately it's always the same thing...

Again that two-headed God coin, and in this case a way to explain why it is that so many followers don't seem to hear anything or have their prayers answered. Of course, here too there is always a way to reconcile an explanation no matter what is happening. Really love this "rebellion" part too. As if growing up believing in God and then starting to think about why is rebellion. As if critical thinking is rebellion. I guess if we're to believe this sort of thing, then I'm quite the rebel.

Think of the Christian religion as a well-oiled, well-run corporation--because that's all it is. What is the business model of a good corporation, say for example a healthcare insurance co: to maximize profits for the corporation and minimize the contents of a customers' wallets. What is the purpose of a Christian ministry: to save souls???????? Forget it! Don't be so naive. The purpose of a Christian ministry is to maximize profits for the ministry and minimize the contents of the congregation's wallets. How does the insurance co do this: increasing premiums for its customers. How does the ministry do this: ask for more donations and say, oh...God will call the pastor home if the congregations doesn't give more $$$$'s (remember how Oral Roberts pulled this stunt way back in 1987) and other sundry tricks and lies.

Old 05-19-2022, 02:11 PM

20,103 posts, read 13,555,795 times
Quote:
Think of the Christian religion as a well-oiled, well-run corporation--because that's all it is. What is the business model of a good corporation, say for example a healthcare insurance co: to maximize profits for the corporation and minimize the contents of a customers' wallets. What is the purpose of a Christian ministry: to save souls???????? Forget it! Don't be so naive. The purpose of a Christian ministry is to maximize profits for the ministry and minimize the contents of the congregation's wallets. How does the insurance co do this: increasing premiums for its customers. How does the ministry do this: ask for more donations and say, oh...God will call the pastor home if the congregations doesn't give more $$$$'s (remember how Oral Roberts pulled this stunt way back in 1987) and other sundry tricks and lies.
I thought that Oral Roberts was killed when he was struck by a speedboat while walking his pet duck?

Old 05-19-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I thought that Oral Roberts was killed when he was struck by a speedboat while walking his pet duck?

Nope that was Ernest Angley and it was his pet goose that laid golden eggs for his ministry.

Old 05-19-2022, 03:01 PM

16,734 posts, read 15,739,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Well, he said God would call him home within a year if he didn't raise $8M, back in 1987.

https://apnews.com/article/84060707d...85c7859145139b

He died in 2009 at age 91 from complications from pneumonia.

The AP article did not say if the entire $8M was raised.

Old 05-19-2022, 03:10 PM

51,004 posts, read 24,497,750 times
Quote:
Nope that was Ernest Angley and it was his pet goose that laid golden eggs for his ministry.
I never could figure out how Ernest Angley could heal so many people and not cure his own horrible toupee.

Old 05-19-2022, 03:13 PM

20,103 posts, read 13,555,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I never could figure out how Ernest Angley could heal so many people and not cure his own horrible toupee.
Thanks for that. I was not familiar with Ernest Angley and was going to look him up but now I think I will just remain ignorant. I do not need to finish my afternoon looking at bad fake hair.

Old 05-20-2022, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Yep. obviously the "miracles" were fake. Or else he didn't know how to write a $10,000 check for a decent one. Or he wryly thought, "If these yokels will give me hundreds of millions of dollars for all this ridiculous nonsense you can bet they'll buy this is real hair."

Old 05-20-2022, 10:54 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,670,106 times
Quote:
Me too. The problems with Christianity are SO numerous they have to be catalogued--it's not enough to just make a laundry list. There are sub-problems within the problems and sub-problems within sub-problems. An entire thread couldn't do justice to addressing the flaws, it would take an entire website and even then....!

I want to do another thread on the fatal flaws of Christianity (there are so many) but I'm not sure if I have the time or the energy to deal with it even in abbreviated form. Just a start would have to include the lack of historical evidence for Jesus and the apostles, theodicy, internal contradictions, external contradictions, scientific errors, suffering, unanswered prayer, failed prophecy, innumerable Christian sects, inconsistencies in doctrine, absent deity, impossible task of reaching the entire world, reconciling different theories of atonement, inaccuracies in translations and that's just for starts.
Bothers ya, huh?
So much so...you go onto a forum titled Religion and Spirituality and rag about it (incessantly) to a bunch of strangers on the internet...every day, for years.
Look...a third of the world is Christian...over half believe in & embrace a Abrahamic Religion...and it's growing.
You will just have to either learn to cope...or live your life in the obvious obsessive, compulsive, angst that you demonstrate daily on this board.
Maybe start a thread about the mental & emotional condition (problems) that constrains some to constantly go off about that which they know most of the other people in the world find to be Divine, Holy, & Sacred and lovingly embrace.
THAT is the real answer to this thread.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:57 AM

51,004 posts, read 24,497,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Bothers ya, huh?
So much so...you go onto a forum titled Religion and Spirituality and rag about it (incessantly) to a bunch of strangers on the internet...every day, for years.
Look...a third of the world is Christian...over half believe in & embrace a Abrahamic Religion...and it's growing.
You will just have to either learn to cope...or live your life in the obvious obsessive, compulsive, angst that you demonstrate daily on this board.
Maybe start a thread about the mental & emotional condition (problems) that constrains some to constantly go off about that which they know most of the other people in the world find to be Divine, Holy, & Sacred and lovingly embrace.
THAT is the real answer to this thread.
And you will need to "either learn to cope...or live your life in the obvious obsessive, compulsive, angst that you demonstrate daily on this board", because atheists are not going and we're not going to be silent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality