Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2022, 06:06 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,393,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
If you guys don't believe in God, then why come to a religion forum and troll??
Probably because an atheist only or a theist only forum are only echo chambers never really being exposed to alternative views.

And an atheist posting on this forum or a theist posting on the atheists sub forum does not fit the definition of a troll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2022, 06:23 PM

51,661 posts, read 25,013,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
If you guys don't believe in God, then why come to a religion forum and troll??
We have answered that question repeatedly. You need to pay attention.

Old 04-11-2022, 06:55 PM

18,270 posts, read 17,113,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Well I'm not going to invest in that line of discussion because literally anything is possible. The story may have originated with a street sweeper who was passing by during the blood-sweating, for all anyone knows.

Thrill is correct of course that there are a lot of incidents in the Bible describing things that happened to people when they were alone, which pretty much guarantees no corroboration at all. At least sometimes (Paul's Damascus Road conversion comes to mind) there are others present supposedly. But other times (e.g., Jesus' temptation in the wilderness) there are not. Even if you accept that the Bible is 100% invented baloney, it would be so simple to write some other eyewitnesses into the story, and it always struck me as weird that they did not do more of that.

How many Christians buy hook, line and sinker into that nonsensical Bill Weise tripe that he spend 23 minutes in hell and nobody but nobody was there with Weise to verify that everything he wrote is gospel. That's why the gospel writers didn't have to write in logical angles to explain why or how something could happen when it didn't seem possible. The truth is that when it comes to religion people buy into anything that tickles their preconceived notions of what happened in a subject they are heavily invested in emotionally. They are sold on the story before they even hear it. No explaining or proof is required. Just start shouting, "Hallalujah, praise the Lord have I got a story to tell you of what the Holy Spirit told me last night...". A Christian on-fire-for-the-Lord audience will be putty in your hands.

Old 04-11-2022, 07:13 PM

18,270 posts, read 17,113,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
But Thrill is not an atheist, either. He's still a disappointed theist.

Uhhh....not exactly. I'm a disappointed-theist-turned-agnostic-deist.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:24 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,739,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
We have answered that question repeatedly. You need to pay attention.
Making up phony excuses (that no Theist believes and sees right through) and repeating them, does not equate to answering the question.
Not that you have to...you all were figured out a long time ago...and no need to "pay attention" to it, it's unavoidable..

Old 04-11-2022, 11:07 PM

89,193 posts, read 85,948,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Uhhh....not exactly. I'm a disappointed-theist-turned-agnostic-deist.
I'm a disappointed theist wanting to be atheist but finding myself "praying to a god I don't believe in". Perhaps I too can attain the rank of agnostic deist in time. Or something.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:42 PM

16,934 posts, read 5,150,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Suit yourself, as I know you will do in your desperation.

Personally, I see no reason to overcomplicate the issue as the simplest explanation seems logical to me.
There is no desperation, we are using what the text says. You are, in your desperation, inventing excuses to get around the problem.

Old 04-12-2022, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Possible? Sure, lots of things are possible...

I mean technically there's a chance that any whacked-out fringe conspiracy theory is true...

But likely?
Ironically what you call a whacked-out fringe conspiracy theory is the consensus among historians.

Old 04-12-2022, 06:09 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,739,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
There is no desperation, we are using what the text says. You are, in your desperation, inventing excuses to get around the problem.
If you go literally by what the text says...it's got itself covered, and your arguments fail.
If it's metaphorical and allegorical...arguments from a literal standpoint (including Devils Advocate type arguments) are disingenuous, and anything other than a mention or two noting the representative & artistic aspect, is just a way to insult, bash, and mock...especially keeping it up daily for years.
Theism/Religion has been intrinsic to human perception, intuition, & understanding for thousands of years.
Few lack that perception, intuition, & understanding. For those so deficient, I have great sympathy...and I pray for them.

Old 04-12-2022, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
+ + + Warning, the irrelevant context of the above post has been posted 879 times already, and has been filtered out by your automatic AI system to save any readers of this thread from dying of boredom. Thank you, and have a nice day. + + +

I do apologize, I thought you might have posted something relevant, but my automatic filter has edited your post to the above.

Can you in future please post something relevant, rational and interesting, perhaps you can amuse others instead of just yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality