Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2022, 06:52 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,657,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
+ + + Warning, the irrelevant context of the above post has been posted 879 times already, and has been filtered out by your automatic AI system to save any readers of this thread from dying of boredom. Thank you, and have a nice day. + + +

I do apologize, I thought you might have posted something relevant, but my automatic filter has edited your post to the above.

Can you in future please post something relevant, rational and interesting, perhaps you can amuse others instead of just yourself.
It's Holy Week Harry.
Show some respect. Well, try to find some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 07:57 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm a disappointed theist wanting to be atheist but finding myself "praying to a god I don't believe in". Perhaps I too can attain the rank of agnostic deist in time. Or something.

What helped me, MQ is realizing this world is far too complex to have happened by itself so there must be something out there. But if you try to make contact with this higher power it is nowhere to be seen. It seems to be oblivious to us. Hence deism. Agnostic because I'm not even sure this power actually exists.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:05 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
What helped me, MQ is realizing this world is far too complex to have happened by itself so there must be something out there. But if you try to make contact with this higher power it is nowhere to be seen. It seems to be oblivious to us. Hence deism. Agnostic because I'm not even sure this power actually exists.
"Making contact" can only happen if it's done on God's terms, not ours.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

Ask MQ if your personal assumption that having to do it on God's terms makes a difference in her belief or the beliefs of the millions who walk away from Christianity. The number of Christians is declining year by year while the number of nones, those who profess no faith is growing year by year. At a steady 2% decline your religion will be gone by by 2100. Tell your god he's doing a lousy job of maintaining your religion and he'd better change his strategy quick before your religion evaporates into the ether. I've tried telling him but he doesn't respond. Maybe he'll listen to you.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:32 AM

1,094 posts, read 884,586 times
Quote:
I thought about nuclear weapons. I thought about the physics in nature that God created that allows 12 pounds of plutonium to create an explosion equal to 21,000 tons of TNT which was enough to level the city of Nagasaki in WW2. I thought about how even if the physics had to exist--they don't have to exist--God didn't have to allow man to discover them. I thought about how even if man discovered them God didn't have to allow man to so successfully harness them to create enough nuclear bombs to destroy the world a hundred times over. I concluded that God as good as put the gun in man's hand and told him to shoot. I concluded that if man blows himself into extinction God is one who will bear the responsibility, not man. Man is an animal no different from any other animal that follows its instincts. One rule of business is that all responsibility flows to the top. God is the head honcho in this world so all screw-ups land on his desk, not on man's.

I thought about viruses like the Coronavirus that comes from the wilds of the animal kingdom. Did God have to allow them to transmit to humans with such devastating results? And on and on.
You are falsely attributing to God the acts of satan.

God made everything perfect. Then man fell and satan became the prince of this world. The entire system crashed. Then satan put all of the bad things into the world.

Have you ever considered that all of physics must work together, and if one little piece is left out, the rest of it stops working?

God may have provided nuclear 3energu (including the sun), but satan makes people want to misuse it.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:35 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Ask MQ if your personal assumption that having to do it on God's terms makes a difference in her belief or the beliefs of the millions who walk away from Christianity. The number of Christians is declining year by year while the number of nones, those who profess no faith is growing year by year. At a steady 2% decline your religion will be gone by by 2100. Tell your god he's doing a lousy job of maintaining your religion and he'd better change his strategy quick before your religion evaporates into the ether. I've tried telling him but he doesn't respond. Maybe he'll listen to you.
It's a constant theme in Scripture that God opposes the proud. 1 Samuel 15 comes to mind.

If you reject God, He will reject you. Is that what you want?

What's the point in shaking your fist at God? What are you hoping to accomplish?

Old 04-12-2022, 09:01 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
God gave humans the gift to develop the vaccines. No one expected the vaccines to come out this quick, so you have to admit these vaccines were a miracle from God.

And I don't know about vast majority. Many health experts and political leaders are complaining that this pandemic would've ended if everyone went out and got vaccinated, yet here we are still in this pandemic.
This is the sort of rationale that always reminds me how people can reconcile their thinking to suit just about any narrative. Yet another "miracle" far as some people are concerned. Amazing. I wonder in this narrative, how the pandemic started in the first place?

Old 04-12-2022, 09:04 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
If you guys don't believe in God, then why come to a religion forum and troll??
Good question...

For me it's because what people think matters. In particular what they do because of what they think. Matters to all of us. No matter whether we all believe the same thing or not. How is this so hard for so many people to understand I wonder...

Old 04-12-2022, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
You are falsely attributing to God the acts of satan.

God made everything perfect. Then man fell and satan became the prince of this world. The entire system crashed. Then satan put all of the bad things into the world.

Have you ever considered that all of physics must work together, and if one little piece is left out, the rest of it stops working?

God may have provided nuclear 3energu (including the sun), but satan makes people want to misuse it.

This is all pure religious belief out of a 3,000 year old bronze age goat herder's holy book. It has no more relevance today than a book of Druid runes. Beside, if you analyze your statement about everything being perfect before Adam's sin you'll realize just how flawed that belief is. For example, did Adam and Eve still have to dig a hole to dispose their waste product? Doesn't sound too perfect to me. Or if man had stayed in this perfection where would the earth house all the people? We can barely hang on now with 8 billion. Scientists estimate 100 billion people have lived since man first emerged. Where are you going to fit that many people on such a small planet? You see, more illogic. And was all the earth an Eden before the fall? If so then why did God have to use an angel to protect only Eden from man? What about the rest of the world's perfection after the fall? Why didn't God have to protect the whole perfect world from sinful man? Where would man live? Or if only Eden was perfect and the rest of the world an imperfect mess of weeds and cracked soil then everything wasn't as perfect as you say it was, obviously.

These are the commonsense logical things Christians don't think of when they make a silly statement like "The world was perfect before Adam sinned". Think about it.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:11 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Clearly god is not consumer friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality