Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2022, 10:54 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,711,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
How about the title, "Atheism as Rejection of an Evil God Who Still Bears Responsibility for How Screwed Up the World is."

The premise in my mind is "Atheism can take many forms and is not wholly dependent on simply not believing a God exists. Rather atheism can take the form of a person living one's life as if no God exists despite having an agnosticism, even belief that one does--that even if the whole world lived as if no deity existed this higher being would still owe a duty of some degree of care to its creation, assuming a good-enough case could be made that there is sufficient evidence to at least suspect this evil God could have kick-start life on earth and then abandoned it.
^^^^ this is theology. You can do whatever you want with it. Its mostly made up. Could you put unicorns in there tho? they fart rainbows and color it up nicely.

God, whatever it is, is probably no more veil than you are when you take anti-bodies to kill a bacteria in you. To the bacteria ... you are all evil.

maybe it kicked started life the best way it could ... does that make it evil?

Is that statement less reliable than your statement that its evil?

But for some atheist it is only about what statement of belief seems to fit where we fit. We are just looking for beliefs that are reliable using what we know. We don't care about religion when discussing what belief is reliable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 10:55 AM

29,726 posts, read 9,905,910 times
Quote:
How about the title, "Atheism as Rejection of an Evil God Who Still Bears Responsibility for How Screwed Up the World is."

The premise in my mind is "Atheism can take many forms and is not wholly dependent on simply not believing a God exists. Rather atheism can take the form of a person living one's life as if no God exists despite having an agnosticism, even belief that one does--that even if the whole world lived as if no deity existed this higher being would still owe a duty of some degree of care to its creation, assuming a good-enough case could be made that there is sufficient evidence to at least suspect this evil God could have kick-start life on earth and then abandoned it.
I like Mystic's even better than this one, and I don't much like Mystic's either...

To bastardize atheism like you do is difficult for an atheist and/or anyone who understands that atheists don't think about, blame or associate a god with anything! Let alone how screwed up the world is. Best I can do to fix your proposed title is as follows; "Rejection of an Evil God Who Still Bears Responsibility for How Screwed Up the World is."

Why drag atheists into this silly want to pin responsibility on anyone or anything but ourselves?

Old 05-31-2022, 10:57 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,711,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I like Mystic's even better than this one, and I don't much like Mystic's either...

To bastardize atheism like you do is difficult for an atheist and/or anyone who understands that atheists don't think about, blame or associate a god with anything! Let alone how screwed up the world is. Best I can do to fix your proposed title is as follows; "Rejection of an Evil God Who Still Bears Responsibility for How Screwed Up the World is."

Why drag atheists into this silly want to pin responsibility on anyone or anything but ourselves?
you know, minus the keep an eye on religion-ist before we answer, we have the exact same opinions.

Old 05-31-2022, 11:01 AM

89,127 posts, read 85,789,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I rarely, if ever, initiate...I only respond. So...the initiators of the threads/posts I reply to determine quantity of "drum beats".
A 6000 post thread (the longest ever on the board) is kinda noteworthy....NO?
It's not the longest, unless you specifically mean on R&S general (where this thread is). As has been said about five times now, the longest thread on the R&S forum is the LGBT thread in Christianity. We close threads when they hit 10,000, and it's now on No. 3. The sign of our times.

Old 05-31-2022, 11:15 AM

29,726 posts, read 9,905,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's not the longest, unless you specifically mean on R&S general (where this thread is). As has been said about five times now, the longest thread on the R&S forum is the LGBT thread in Christianity. We close threads when they hit 10,000, and it's now on No. 3. The sign of our times.
Can you provide the link? I can probably find it tomorrow, but I wasn't able to find with a quick scan of threads in Christianity just now...

Might be more interesting. I may check it out tomorrow after pretty much having my "fill" here today and most days for awhile now. Not that length, duration or post counts matter to me at all. It's the topic and those participating that matter to me. Something better than this basket of hemorrhoids anyway!

Old 05-31-2022, 11:15 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,715,834 times
Quote:
Perhaps, but not really...

This back-and-forth and your heartburn has been going on too long to remember how it started and either way, all of us only swing at the balls we think worth swinging for. Always seems you go for all the balls "way and outside!" Less complaining and more focus on the gist of these topics is what I'm highly encouraging all to do, but of course there's what's entertaining and worthwhile for you regardless what it might be for others. I get it...
Well...again, I note that I only respond.
So, since I post way less than the Religion critics (they post 2 to 4x more)...that put up the same, "Problem of Evil" & Religious writings are not all literally true arguments....and cheering any downturn in Theological interest or service attendance...my replies are limited by the subjects offered to respond to.
I must admit...y'all are getting kinda boring, with your limited, repetitious rants...and it isn't as amusing & entertaining as it used to be.

Old 05-31-2022, 11:21 AM

18,269 posts, read 17,071,584 times
Quote:

What really makes me laugh about your philosophy, AA is that you behave as if humans actually have the power to fix things that are wrong on this earth. How deluded could a person get? We are no more capable of fixing global warming at the advanced state it's in than we are of inventing a slingshot to propel a rocket to the moon. WAKE UP! Only a supernatural being at this late stage possess the power to fix what's wrong on this globe.

Old 05-31-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes...I noted this board.
I wouldn't know about the subforums...I rarely go to any of those.
Though I would if there was one for my Religion (Pantheism).

Old 05-31-2022, 11:34 AM

64,169 posts, read 40,571,494 times
Quote:
Heavy...

ab·re·ac·tion

the expression and consequent release of a previously repressed emotion, achieved through reliving the experience that caused it (typically through hypnosis or suggestion).

Not true in my case anyway, so I might be drawn to a thread title like this one to straighten this notion out a bit as well.
That is the OLD psychoanalytic definition. It is actually just a psychological overreaction to unconscious cumulative frustration. Therapists try to evoke it to remove its unconscious power over the individual.

Old 05-31-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
"Atheism is an Abreaction to the Irrational and Supernatural OmniGod of Religions."
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That is the OLD psychoanalytic definition. It is actually just a psychological overreaction to unconscious cumulative frustration. Therapists try to evoke it to remove its unconscious power over the individual.
Got It!: My Atheism as the Ultra-Consuming Headtrips I Have That Most of The People In the World Believe Things I Think They Shouldn't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality