Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2022, 10:37 AM

13,635 posts, read 7,954,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
This is the reason for my emphasis on how religious epistemologies fail to accurately explain or predict one's lived experience. To me if any system of knowledge does not render one's lived experience more, rather than less, understandable and coherent, then it is of no use, if not in fact, of negative value.

Reality has become more explicable, comprehensible and organically consistent with my beliefs, since dispensing with theism altogether. I understand that others happen so far to find various religious beliefs to be sufficiently consistent, which is fine, so long as they don't try to make their beliefs or practices binding on the rest of society, including me.
I for one have no problem conceding that many forms/variations of Christianity may indeed provide a less coherent/consistent view of reality than irreligion/agnosticism/deism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
What is self-evident to me is apparently not the same thing(s) that are "self-evident" to you, and as such, I would suggest the term "self-evident" is not appropriate here...

Regardless what we might know or not know about the universe, there is much that can be argued that in no way involves a god. Those arguments that do nevertheless are theological arguments and in much the same way based on assumptions that religious people are inclined to make that atheists are not. Simple as that, and at a minimum it is important to recognize these distinctions and differences in order to draw proper, accurate and objective conclusions about the truth of these matters.
The harsh truth is also a very simple one. Namely, that you're wrong and your perception is greatly flawed. It's akin to being literally blind. You have a handicap. Since I don't know you, I would not presume to say that the blindness is entirely your fault.

Old 04-29-2022, 10:41 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

Well each person who claims to have the correct definition of god and the correct understanding of his claims on us, claims to have received that directly from god or at least from some approved intermediary. Which is why all of this self-justifying back-and-forth is so crazy-making after awhile.

This is the reason for my emphasis on how religious epistemologies fail to accurately explain or predict one's lived experience. To me if any system of knowledge does not render one's lived experience more, rather than less, understandable and coherent, then it is of no use, if not in fact, of negative value.

Reality has become more explicable, comprehensible and organically consistent with my beliefs, since dispensing with theism altogether. I understand that others happen so far to find various religious beliefs to be sufficiently consistent, which is fine, so long as they don't try to make their beliefs or practices binding on the rest of society, including me.
There is "fine" as you explain, and there is "fine" in terms of arguments, reason and logic, that well justify a conclusion. In the latter case, not all arguments, reason and logic are as "fine" as others. I don't tend to argue about how religion makes people feel or how well it might work for them to get by in life. My focus is more on the logic and reason, facts, evidence and proof, that distinguishes what we can establish as truth from all that we can't. All regardless how the truth might make anyone feel.

What helps me get by in life is another matter altogether...

Old 04-29-2022, 10:45 AM

50,869 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I for one have no problem conceding that many forms/variations of Christianity may indeed provide a less coherent/consistent view of reality than irreligion/agnosticism/deism.
And certainly many would include the catholic religion in that less coherent/consistent view of reality.

Old 04-29-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
The harsh truth is also a very simple one. Namely, that you're wrong and your perception is greatly flawed. It's akin to being literally blind. You have a handicap. Since I don't know you, I would not presume to say that the blindness is entirely your fault.
Really? And you don't realize I could say the exact same thing about you?

The reason I don't bother with ridiculous comments like this, based entirely on opinion and nothing in the way of what proves anything in the way of the truth of these matters, is because they are childish. Proclamations made by someone like you as if the mere act of making such a proclamation is in any way convincing. I doubt such a comment is even convincing to you but rather a way to make you feel better about yourself and/or what you believe. Please. I'm sure you can do better than this!

Old 04-29-2022, 10:49 AM

50,869 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
I think this post of yours should win an award.

Old 04-29-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And certainly many would include the catholic religion in that less coherent/consistent view of reality.
What is less coherent and inconsistent when it comes to the catholic religion (and most of the others) is pretty low hanging fruit for just about anyone with half an objective brain to recognize and admit. Unfortunately, it is some of the more fundamental reasons that give rise to what is less coherent and all those inconsistencies that too many religious people are not inclined to consider as they should.

Reminds me of that scene from the Wizard of Oz...

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

Last edited by LearnMe; 04-29-2022 at 11:12 AM..

Old 04-29-2022, 10:53 AM

16,798 posts, read 4,996,217 times
Quote:
The evidence you ignore says your assertion is not the case.

Old 04-29-2022, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I think this post of yours should win an award.
The Self-Evident award?

Poor Esca, good thing he also can't see what is self-evident here...

What is self-evident to me now is how it's past time for me to sign off from this forum again. Been real! Well not really, but been something anyway!

Old 04-29-2022, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Sure, and they'd be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality