Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2022, 11:18 AM

51,637 posts, read 24,976,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
The Self-Evident award?

Poor Esca, good thing he also can't see what is self-evident here...

What is self-evident to me now is how it's past time for me to sign off from this forum again. Been real! Well not really, but been something anyway!
I was thinking of the famous Broken Mirror Award.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 11:19 AM

13,948 posts, read 8,261,358 times
Quote:
Really? And you don't realize I could say the exact same thing about you?

The reason I don't bother with ridiculous comments like this, based entirely on opinion and nothing in the way of what proves anything in the way of the truth of these matters, is because they are childish. Proclamations made by someone like you as if the mere act of making such a proclamation is in any way convincing. I doubt such a comment is even convincing to you but rather a way to make you feel better about yourself and/or what you believe. Please. I'm sure you can do better than this!
It doesn't make me feel better about myself, because what I said can apply to me as well at any given time.

It's the human condition, Learn. It's nothing personal.

You've been given such a great gift, and it makes me sad to see what you're doing with it.

Old 04-29-2022, 11:36 AM

18,270 posts, read 17,100,310 times
Quote:
Question that follows for me after considering all the back-and-forth crazy ideas about what isn't right, what a god could have in mind given all the inconsistencies, all the "good, bad and ugly" man-made versions of what a god should or should not do is this...

Why begin with the assumption a god exists in the first place?

After all, if one doesn't make that assumption, all the rest about our universal reality begins to fall into place and make much better sense...

I can think of a few but I'd like to just narrow it down to one. I've stated this before earlier though I cannot find the post #. The ONE reason to assume there is a higher power of some sort who orchestrated evolution is this: of the 92 natural elements sloshing in the primordial soup four basic elements come together in just the right formation (there are other elements that come in at certain critical points but we'll ignore these for now) to make amino acids which then form chains. When enough of these chains come together we get a protein molecule (whole bunch of other steps which are too lengthy to describe). Already we've exceeded the reasonable odds of this happening by chance--but we've only got one DEAD protein molecule. The question then becomes, How many of these molecules have to repeat the process and come together just to make a DEAD cell, then a DEAD group of different body systems, then get the dead systems to coordinate in a coherent way to allow them to all function together as a whole to form a human body, then get this human body to split into a male and a female so the male can donate sperm to the female ova. And we still have a DEAD human body; how do we get this human body to come alive? And just to get them to male and female so they can reproduce would take millions of years.

I hope you can realize that the odds of all this happening by chance are so infinitesimal that the number that would contain the zeros to one would stretch the length of the known universe. Plainly speaking, it simply could never happen unless there were some intelligence higher than anything on earth to start the process and successfully guide it against all dangers of it collapsing at some point.

I will narrow it down to just this single reason why I believe there is some kind of higher power of some sort in the universe that jumpstart life here on earth and put in place the laws of evolution to allow life to evolve while at the same time protecting the process from succumbing to all host of natural dangers to terminating the process. There had to be or we wouldn't be here.

Old 04-29-2022, 11:49 AM

51,637 posts, read 24,976,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
It doesn't make me feel better about myself, because what I said can apply to me as well at any given time.

You've been given such a great gift, and it makes me sad to see what you're doing with it.
Virtually everything in life is personal.

Old 04-29-2022, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I can think of a few but I'd like to just narrow it down to one. I've stated this before earlier though I cannot find the post #. The ONE reason to assume there is a higher power of some sort who orchestrated evolution is this: of the 92 natural elements sloshing in the primordial soup four basic elements come together in just the right formation (there are other elements that come in at certain critical points but we'll ignore these for now) to make amino acids which then form chains. When enough of these chains come together we get a protein molecule (whole bunch of other steps which are too lengthy to describe). Already we've exceeded the reasonable odds of this happening by chance--but we've only got one DEAD protein molecule. The question then becomes, How many of these molecules have to repeat the process and come together just to make a DEAD cell, then a DEAD group of different body systems, then get the dead systems to coordinate in a coherent way to allow them to all function together as a whole to form a human body, then get this human body to split into a male and a female so the male can donate sperm to the female ova. And we still have a DEAD human body; how do we get this human body to come alive? And just to get them to male and female so they can reproduce would take millions of years.

I hope you can realize that the odds of all this happening by chance are so infinitesimal that the number that would contain the zeros to one would stretch the length of the known universe. Plainly speaking, it simply could never happen unless there were some intelligence higher than anything on earth to start the process and successfully guide it against all dangers of it collapsing at some point.

I will narrow it down to just this single reason why I believe there is some kind of higher power of some sort in the universe that jumpstart life here on earth and put in place the laws of evolution to allow life to evolve while at the same time protecting the process from succumbing to all host of natural dangers to terminating the process. There had to be or we wouldn't be here.

This better explains my belief that a higher intelligence most likely orchestrated life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1_KEVaCyaA

Old 04-30-2022, 07:50 AM

29,766 posts, read 9,939,752 times
Quote:

Reading your comment #2179 made me sad...

Sad to think there are people who think the way you do and would post such a comment, but of course the recognition I have about people like you is nothing new.

"It's akin to being literally blind?"

"It's nothing personal?"

You are a funny one.

Me using my head shouldn't make you sad either. Just doing the very best I can with what I have to work with is all. Where you see blindness, I see truth. Where I see blindness I see people like you.

No point in you or I going around in that circle again, but I just want to point out yet again how ridiculous these sorts of comments really are. Let's try to get back to facts, reason and logic that can be addressed in a mature objective fashion. "Nothing personal." Just my preference we avoid getting personal is all.

Old 04-30-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

Isn't it interesting we have addressed this rationale of yours a couple of times before, and yet you repeat this explanation for a higher power as if you never read my response. Either your memory is very bad, or you simply cannot consider better alternative reason and logic or again, you think so much of your intellect that anything you can't figure out must be the work of some power higher than your own. Perhaps a combination of all the above, but if we're going to narrow things down here, this is what you need to understand from the beginning:

You not being able to answer the question "how?" does not de facto mean there is a higher power. That you don't know "how?" certainly is not a proof of a higher power either. Just proves you are a mere mortal lacking information and understanding just like the rest of us mere mortals.

Or if you want to insist on that rationale to prove the existence of a higher power, how did that higher power come to be? Does because you don't know also mean there is a higher power that created the first higher power? Do you see how what you don't know doesn't really prove anything other than what you don't know?

Old 04-30-2022, 09:58 AM

13,948 posts, read 8,261,358 times
Quote:
Reading your comment #2179 made me sad...

Sad to think there are people who think the way you do and would post such a comment, but of course the recognition I have about people like you is nothing new.

"It's akin to being literally blind?"

"It's nothing personal?"

You are a funny one.

Me using my head shouldn't make you sad either. Just doing the very best I can with what I have to work with is all. Where you see blindness, I see truth. Where I see blindness I see people like you.

No point in you or I going around in that circle again, but I just want to point out yet again how ridiculous these sorts of comments really are. Let's try to get back to facts, reason and logic that can be addressed in a mature objective fashion. "Nothing personal." Just my preference we avoid getting personal is all.
The only difference between you and I is that I readily admit my blindness, brokenness, weakness, ignorance, and my need for redemption and salvation, while you refuse to do so. Pride is the single greatest barrier to salvation. It was the sin of Lucifer, "non serviam".

Old 04-30-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
The only difference between you and I is that I readily admit my blindness, brokenness, weakness, ignorance, and my need for redemption and salvation, while you refuse to do so. Pride is the single greatest barrier to salvation. It was the sin of Lucifer, "non serviam".
Yet another rather insulting comment...

First it was me who was blind, as if to suggest you see what I can't. Now you want to admit to blindness. What is it you admit you can't see? As for the brokenness, weakness, ignorance and need for whatever, you touch a nerve having to do with more than a few life experiences that I won't bother to share with you, because I don't get the feeling anything is getting through to you. That's where I see some "brokenness" on your part.

What I would simply call my observations and sense of what is the truth, you want to call pride. What I simply call the best I can do to understand the world I live in, you call a barrier to salvation. Now too you want to introduce Lucifer into the mix? For someone who wants to feign blindness and suggest some sort of righteous perspective, you sure do come across as the exact opposite!

Do me a favor and Lucifer someone else. Will you please?

Old 04-30-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Isn't it interesting we have addressed this rationale of yours a couple of times before, and yet you repeat this explanation for a higher power as if you never read my response. Either your memory is very bad, or you simply cannot consider better alternative reason and logic or again, you think so much of your intellect that anything you can't figure out must be the work of some power higher than your own. Perhaps a combination of all the above, but if we're going to narrow things down here, this is what you need to understand from the beginning:

You not being able to answer the question "how?" does not de facto mean there is a higher power. That you don't know "how?" certainly is not a proof of a higher power either. Just proves you are a mere mortal lacking information and understanding just like the rest of us mere mortals.

Or if you want to insist on that rationale to prove the existence of a higher power, how did that higher power come to be? Does because you don't know also mean there is a higher power that created the first higher power? Do you see how what you don't know doesn't really prove anything other than what you don't know?

I'm not saying there is a higher power. I'm saying this is why I BELIEVE there is likely a higher power. And I'm aware we've jousted on this a few times in the past. But I'm repeating it for the benefit of people who have not read our exchanges previously so they can understand where I'm coming from, and I'll probably repeat it a dozen more times as the occasion calls for it and you're free to offer your dissents again on all dozen times so people know your position, or not. To sum, all I'm saying is that if you don't believe there is a higher power of some sort, you just have to not question how the planet overcame odds that cannot even be written down as a number to get us to the advanced state we are if you have no rational explanation to offer in place of mine. All you're saying now is "Science not being able to explain how we got here doesn't automatically lead to accepting that a higher intelligence did it." I agree. I do, but obviously not everyone else does. I merely offer my theory as a possible explanation and I try to demonstrate how impossible odds would make my theory a little more palatable than "How did we get here? I don't know."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality