Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for the above initiative?
Yes 45 68.18%
No 19 28.79%
Unsure 2 3.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 03:10 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well until it is repealed it is still illegal. I agree what you do in your own home is no concern of mine. Unfortunately like drinkers you have your potheads taking it on the road.

Marijuana alone as the culprit was reported in 1% of traffic fatalities. Compared to the usage rates of alcohol, its hardly a problem. There are still laws against driving under the influence.

What's New in Alcohol, Drugs and Traffic Safety in the U.S.

While drugs, other than alcohol, continue to be a highway safety problem in the USA, the magnitude and extent of the problem is much lower than alcohol. A national study of close to 2,000 fatally injured drivers conducted in 1990-91 in seven states in the USA revealed the following (Terhune et al, 1993) (see also Table 3):

Alcohol was found in 52 percent of the driver fatalities.
Drugs other than alcohol were found in 18 percent of these fatalities.
64 percent of the drug cases also had alcohol.
A drug was detected without alcohol in only 6.3 percent of the driver fatalities.
Abuse drugs (.e.g., marijuana, cocaine) were found most frequently in the 25-54 age group.
Marijuana and cocaine were found more frequently in urban crashes than in rural ones.
Prescription drugs were found most frequently in the over 55 age group.
Drugs were found mostly in males.
Over 90% of drivers who had BACs >= .08 were responsible for their crashes.
The differences in crash responsibility rate between all of the frequently occurring drug groups and the drug free group were found to be statistically insignificant.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:11 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I don't see it that way. Unless you think our current system of jailing everybody is working. People would not be arrested for possessing personal stashes of drugs. That would eliminate a lot of arrests. Those arrested for other crimes, and deemed addicts rather than criminals would have the option of rehab or jail. If they want to go to jail they would still have that option.

I don't see how that's any more restrictive then what we have.
So stealing because you an addict would be a special category of crime - um, NO. A crime is a crime and we are to be Constitutionally treated equal before the law.
Just stop the war on drugs, and the rest will take care of itself.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
So stealing because you an addict would be a special category of crime - um, NO. A crime is a crime and we are to be Constitutionally treated equal before the law.
Just stop the war on drugs, and the rest will take care of itself.
See where your coming from.

I think the "mandatory" thing is what is the big issue. What I want is for funding to shift from drug enforcement to rehabilitation.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:19 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times
They will never ever legalize all drugs in this country, way to much profit in this fake war. Your best bet is to stick to pot, hemp and THC. I would like to see them keep their greedy hands out of the til altogether but I can also see how that would play out. They would release some pot that caused horrible side effects, then say "we told you so", the people would cry out for regulation, and they'd have a bran new box a crackerjax for the FDA, USDA, Dept of Commerce and whoever else can get their hands in the cookie jar.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:30 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
They will never ever legalize all drugs in this country, way to much profit in this fake war. Your best bet is to stick to pot, hemp and THC. I would like to see them keep their greedy hands out of the til altogether but I can also see how that would play out. They would release some pot that caused horrible side effects, then say "we told you so", the people would cry out for regulation, and they'd have a bran new box a crackerjax for the FDA, USDA, Dept of Commerce and whoever else can get their hands in the cookie jar.
I'm afraid you may be right.

The old saying "follow the money".... or who can gain money from any situation..... always comes down to flipping money.....

Old 06-08-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm afraid you may be right.

The old saying "follow the money".... or who can gain money from any situation..... always comes down to flipping money.....
The money is definitely flowing. In all the wrong directions.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:18 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
As long as that same government stays out of paying for the health care of addicts and overdosers. No free rehab. No food stamps for drug users.

The only way this would work would be for consistency --- either be a real libertarian that would cut off drug users from taxpayer money and let them die on the streets if they choose drugs and the complications. Let their children starve if the drug addicts won't work to feed them.
Amen! Rapid Screen drug tests costs pennies and would real give us tax payers relief from supporting the millions of junkies who depend on welfare.

(..and yes their children would starve in some cases...tough! that's life)

Old 06-10-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Amen! Rapid Screen drug tests costs pennies and would real give us tax payers relief from supporting the millions of junkies who depend on welfare.

(..and yes their children would starve in some cases...tough! that's life)

Socio-economics are a different discussion since both the wealthy and poor use drugs in this country. The measure also failed in Florida due to the high expense of carrying out the testing and the number of applicants who actually failed the drug test.

I agree with you though that more needs to be done to end welfare. We need a contributing population not an idle one. I don't think that can be done though until we create more jobs and get our economy rolling again. The Drug War has devastated some communities and many of those people are not counted in our current unemployment numbers.

http://jonathanturley.org/2013/04/14...prevent-abuse/

"The Florida experience proved to be a costly waste of taxpayers money according to the Tampa Tribune. “The Tampa Tribune investigated the results of those July 2011 drug tests and found that “96 percent proved to be drug free”, another 2 percent never bothering to complete the lengthy application process, and 2 percent actually failing drug testing. At an average cost of $30 per test, the state was hemorrhaging tax dollars at a rate of “$28,800-$43,200 monthly”… FAR out pacing the supposed “savings” from preventing drug-abusers from gaming the system to buy drugs.” Crooks and Liars The failure of this idea in Florida did not prevent or dissuade the Texas State Senate from unanimously passing an even more draconian plan to screen and drug test welfare recipients."

Old 06-10-2013, 04:18 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Surrender to criminals? No, I don't think so
Why doesn't City-Data yet have a vote-down, negative-rep, or disagree button? Sooooo many other sites have already implemented such a thing. :exasperated:

Old 06-10-2013, 04:26 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
What I find absolutely criminal (not to mention hypocritical) is the fact that the US government plays both sides of the drug war! Not to mention they go and bail out big banks who have laundered money for the cartels! We go and bail these SOBs out, because of the mess that they created, then proceed to hand out lavish bonuses and golden parachutes to their executives on our dime! Yet you're OK with going after someone who is smoking a doobie in the privacy of their own home? When has any of those top execs been prosecuted for their involvement in laundering drug money? Oops I forgot, they don't have to live by the same set of rules as the rest of us!

If the US government was soooooo worried about winning this farce called the "war on drugs" they would send the US military into Latin America and wipe out the cartels. And weed from Latin America isn't the issue, it's the harder substances. Everyone knows that the best weed is grown in the US anyway, and it despite being illegal is the number one cash crop! But I digress.... We won't send the military in to wipe out the cartels, because again they're playing both sides, and that would take away from the profits of the Prison Industrial Complex, as well as others in LE that profit in this fake a** war! Keep in mind now, I'm not in favor of us invading another soverign nation, but seriously this is nothing but a bunch of hypocrisy!
Tried to rep you for this ... But alas, you know what happens. Sure wish I could vote-down on some posters once in a while. This thread has had some replies in which I would definitely have made use of that function.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.