Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for the above initiative?
Yes 45 68.18%
No 19 28.79%
Unsure 2 3.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 11:16 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,135,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think ONLY users should be jailed. I think only Johns should be jailed in prostitution arrests, too. Dry up the customers and the businesses will go away.
You mean start prohibition all over again and start arresting alcohol producers??

Old 08-10-2013, 12:18 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The issues for me would be: who pays for the rehab, and is rehab really effective. I'm just not convinced that rehab is much more than a scam. Take the example of smoking. Every smoker I've ever known over the age of 25 or so would love to quit. If there were an effective rehab, they would beat a path to its door and hand over their checkbook. But most smokers I know have been unable to quit; ergo there is no effective rehab..
I know several who have quit. And I know some over the age of 25 who don't want to quit.

Rehab works better than prison.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think ONLY users should be jailed. I think only Johns should be jailed in prostitution arrests, too. Dry up the customers and the businesses will go away.
None of them should be arrested. Government has no right to tell me what I can eat, drink or eat or who I can have sex with.

We don't need to dry up the customers or make the businesses go away.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
We're killing more people and imprisoning more people than we're helping.

If the concern is to battle addiction, aren't we losing the war?
Yes. It's a total loss.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:59 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Call me crazy, but I'd rather have criminals off the street than on the street.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:18 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The issues for me would be: who pays for the rehab, and is rehab really effective. I'm just not convinced that rehab is much more than a scam. Take the example of smoking. Every smoker I've ever known over the age of 25 or so would love to quit. If there were an effective rehab, they would beat a path to its door and hand over their checkbook. But most smokers I know have been unable to quit; ergo there is no effective rehab.

Thus I would envision gov't-provided rehab as a probably bureaucratic train wreck.

I am 100% pro-legalization, but only if the users are the ones who foot the bill for the health consequences of use.
This is true. While not the US government, WWE has given former employees drug rehab on the company's dime. Some of them namely "Sunny" aka Tammy Lynn Sytch have been denied future rehab because of how hopeless the process is for them. I know other former employees namely Scott Hall and Jake Roberts are continually in and out of rehab for their drug issues.

It isn't easy to recover from drug addiction. Recovering addicts are recovering for the rest of their lives, the same as a cancer patient and someone with diabetes. I think that we should try to help those with problems who wish to help themselves however, after some point and there is no real gain from it, they should face the music and in this case jailtime rather than mandated rehab.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:38 PM

234 posts, read 184,827 times
If street drugs were ever de-criminalized in America, the production and marketing of would be done by Big Pharma, as has already started to happen with prescription drugs, the largest-growing segment of recreational drug use in America btw.

In a way that would be a good thing as the product would be safer, cleaner, taxed and de-stigmatized. But how many people want to give so much power over to multi-national companies with such a product? And are people comfortable allowing the legalization of a product that creates severe mental illnesses at such an alarming rate.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:06 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,181,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
While not comparable with U.S. China did have 25,879 drug convictions in 2003

And China still applies the death penalty for drug trafficing.

http://www.humanrightsanddrugs.org/w...-2-2012-BI.pdf

Yet has an ever growing drug problem

China's Growing Appetite for New Kinds of Luxury Goods: Illegal Drugs - Charles Zhu - The Atlantic

China Battles a Spreading Scourge of Illicit Drugs - New York Times

There is always going to be 10 percent of our population that just does not "get it". When I was in the service we had a huge drug abuse problem until the service got serious in the early 1980's. The the mid-to late 1980's the drug abuse problem was less than 10 percent. Perfect? No, but close enough. Why? The service got serious...either quit or you are out or on in jail.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:08 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,181,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Why on GOD's green earth would you support anything a totalitarian regime like China does? Be careful what you wish for!
I don't support the Chinese but I do support solutions i.e. total accountability. You want to abuse drugs, go pick beans until you get your act together. Should we see millions of people suffer because of the few? Drug abuse is not something I would wish on a worse enemy and I am all for helping them, but that concern does not mean I'm going to allow people to continue down the path of self-destruction.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:25 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,204,855 times
Remember when helping slaves escape was illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.