Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 12:43 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,738,345 times

Advertisements

this war on ilegal drugs has not solved anything but waste alot of money fighting it.. i know some drugs are brutal but you can't stop them. people seem to all ways be able to get drugs whether they are legal or ilegal. more people are addicted to legal drugs like codeine -demerol -valium percasets and alcohol just to name a few than all the ilegal drugs combined...damn half the violence in the country would be wiped of the slate if they were legallized. cartels would fall over night.. personally i don't think their would be more drug addicts.. think about it would you become a heroin addict or a crack addict or a meth addict i don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 02:28 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
Overall no.Those that want to do it do so legal or not for the most part.Do you think I would stop smoking cigarettes if they were banned?No I wouldn't until I DECIDED I don't want to smoke.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:39 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,338,145 times
i don't think anyone is seriously considering throwing the door open on all "illegal drugs."

i know some people want to make smoking weed legal so they can regulate and tax it.

i suspect after the initial increase in casual use, there would be addicts (like anything), casual users, and those who don't even try it (for whatever reason).

the bigger question onweed might be the legal cases piling up to release drug offenders based on new laws -- if they are passed in the future

Old 04-15-2009, 02:42 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,595,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
this war on ilegal drugs has not solved anything but waste alot of money fighting it.. i know some drugs are brutal but you can't stop them. people seem to all ways be able to get drugs whether they are legal or ilegal. more people are addicted to legal drugs like codeine -demerol -valium percasets and alcohol just to name a few than all the ilegal drugs combined...damn half the violence in the country would be wiped of the slate if they were legallized. cartels would fall over night.. personally i don't think their would be more drug addicts.. think about it would you become a heroin addict or a crack addict or a meth addict i don't think so.
Don't know the answer to that..but if you really want to know...look at the countries where it is legal..

Old 04-15-2009, 02:51 PM

Well I tell one thing,even if there was a increase which I doubt,the additiction increase and danger of death would nothing compared to the decreased death and violence of have drugs illegal.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
the drug trade is like the OPEC trade, it makes the wrong people rich.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:55 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,351,429 times
The reason why I do not do heroin, cocaine, ecstasy or meth is because I've been educated on the FACTS about their danger, which is all we should do. If people are dumb enough to OD on heroin, let them. I don't know a single person who would try heroin or cocaine simply because it was legal...if they wanted to do those drugs, they would have already. Whether it is legal or not makes no difference on who uses, it was that way with alcohol, it's that way with marijuana and it's that way with cocaine and heroin too.

If legalized, there would be more research on them, the drugs themselves would be better refined (and therefore, safer), and we as a nation would be better equipped to deal with those who use hard drugs. Not only that, but it would save us billions in enforcement and incarceration costs, which do nothing to stop the problems. Not only that, but Heroin and Cocaine are so lucrative that thousands of people are murdered as a result of the illegal trade which would instantly be evaporated if legalized.

Since there's no "Cocaine Lobby" like there is with tobacco or alcohol, Congress could make it so once legalized that the drugs must be purchased from behind the counter and that a pharmacist must directly tell the user of the dangers in taking that drug and must also provide them with contact information for rehabilitation centers. That would help keep people from using on a whim much more than having it be illegal and being pushed by street dealers...

Old 04-15-2009, 04:38 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,550,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
The reason why I do not do heroin, cocaine, ecstasy or meth is because I've been educated on the FACTS about their danger, which is all we should do. If people are dumb enough to OD on heroin, let them. I don't know a single person who would try heroin or cocaine simply because it was legal...if they wanted to do those drugs, they would have already. Whether it is legal or not makes no difference on who uses, it was that way with alcohol, it's that way with marijuana and it's that way with cocaine and heroin too.

If legalized, there would be more research on them, the drugs themselves would be better refined (and therefore, safer), and we as a nation would be better equipped to deal with those who use hard drugs. Not only that, but it would save us billions in enforcement and incarceration costs, which do nothing to stop the problems. Not only that, but Heroin and Cocaine are so lucrative that thousands of people are murdered as a result of the illegal trade which would instantly be evaporated if legalized.

Since there's no "Cocaine Lobby" like there is with tobacco or alcohol, Congress could make it so once legalized that the drugs must be purchased from behind the counter and that a pharmacist must directly tell the user of the dangers in taking that drug and must also provide them with contact information for rehabilitation centers. That would help keep people from using on a whim much more than having it be illegal and being pushed by street dealers...
Totally agree. Very thoughtful post.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post

Absolutely,I agree 100%

Old 04-16-2009, 02:26 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,888,577 times
Legalizing drugs takes away the profit, so there would be no drug dealers anymore.
who would go to a dark alley in the seedy side of town to purchase something available at the corner store..?
Drug dealers wold have to find another illegal, easy way to get through life....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies