Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 06:13 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,839,649 times

Advertisements

Someone told me that marajuana use (not selling) was actually already decriminalized in about 6 states including CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 06:31 PM

13,620 posts, read 12,809,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Someone told me that marajuana use (not selling) was actually already decriminalized in about 6 states including CA.
actually i think it's like 13 states that have medical marijuana laws it should be legal in all states.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:55 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,839,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
actually i think it's like 13 states that have medical marijuana laws it should be legal in all states.
No, not just 'medical', he said possession of less than 1/4 oz or so.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:56 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,919,544 times
we dont have to speculate, england already has done that.
what a mess.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:46 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,753,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Legalizing drugs takes away the profit, so there would be no drug dealers anymore.
who would go to a dark alley in the seedy side of town to purchase something available at the corner store..?
Drug dealers wold have to find another illegal, easy way to get through life....
And what sensible business owner would keep crack, meth and heroine in a display case? There will always be drug dealers... instead of being the only available source they will become the only cheap source.

Your solution only works partially. And at that, only with the typically less violent demographic of illegal drug trade.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:47 PM

968 posts, read 1,046,373 times
Without a doubt there would be more drug addicts.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:25 PM

13,620 posts, read 12,809,233 times
[quote=ramanboy33;8381025]Without a doubt there would be more drug addicts.[/quot

i doubt it!!! think about it the drugs have been around for a long time and people that are going to do the drugs are going to do them whether they are ilegal or legal.. they could take all that money that is spent on encarseration and enforcment and spend it on rehabilitation centers and on education of what those drugs will do to persons considering to use them...and it would wipe out all violece associated with them being ilegal..the drug cartels would fall very soon after legalization..over 6000 people died in mexico violence associated with ilegal drugs last year.. not counting the people that died in the usa.. we are talking about a huge amounts of money. just look a cigaretts less people smoke now then in the past cause of educating the public that smaking is bad for your health.so i realy don't think there would be more drug addicts.. shurly their would be alot less violence and death associated with them...the war on drugs is a losing battle.. by keeping it ilegal we fund the scum of the earth.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:39 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,330,559 times
I think there could be more addicts, but there would be less crime.

Just like alcohol and prohibition.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:42 PM

3,727 posts, read 4,894,910 times
I think there may be more addicts, but I think most other downsides to drug use would be reduced or eliminated.

The price of drugs would go down (even if they were heavily taxed) and purity would go up. So you would have fewer cases of people dying because they shot heroin cut with whatever white or gray powder that happens to be laying around. Also, since drugs would be cheaper, you'd have fewer cases of addicts stealing and robbing to get a hold of enough money to get their drugs.

Also, organized crime and gangs would lose a major moneymaker. The mob and street gangs predate the War on Drugs, but much like Prohibition, the nature of making a commodity illegal means that there is very high mark up and the prices are volatile. This means that violence involving organizations and individuals that are involved in the market is closely tied to the price of the commodity. To quote 50 Cent, "Coke price goes up/caps come down"

Old 04-16-2009, 08:51 PM

668 posts, read 2,198,277 times
Lets see, there are more alcoholics since prohibition was repealed...so, YEA, I would bet that if drugs were legalized, that there would be more people using drugs and getting stupid and killing more people on the road, because they were stoned out of thier stupid minds! You have idiots who drink and drive, and are slosihed out of thier gourd, and end up killing innocent people, so, why shouldnt you have other idiots wacked out of thier minds and killing innocent people because they have a 'legalized drug'...Alcohol is legalized and look what lovely things people manage to do under its influence! sheesh!

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies