Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:09 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,735,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
Lets see, there are more alcoholics since prohibition was repealed...so, YEA, I would bet that if drugs were legalized, that there would be more people using drugs and getting stupid and killing more people on the road, because they were stoned out of thier stupid minds! You have idiots who drink and drive, and are slosihed out of thier gourd, and end up killing innocent people, so, why shouldnt you have other idiots wacked out of thier minds and killing innocent people because they have a 'legalized drug'...Alcohol is legalized and look what lovely things people manage to do under its influence! sheesh!

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
the population of the usa was like 100 million back then it's like 320 million now.. so of corse there are more alcoholics now rather then in the 1920's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 09:26 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,386,209 times
13 states have now decriminilized marijuana, here in Maine the limit is 1.25 oz.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Legalizing drugs takes away the profit, so there would be no drug dealers anymore.
who would go to a dark alley in the seedy side of town to purchase something available at the corner store..?
Drug dealers wold have to find another illegal, easy way to get through life....
You mean there is no profit in selling tobacco and alcohol? I don't think so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
Without a doubt there would be more drug addicts.
I agree. One of the supposed arguments for legalization of everything under the sun is that there are more problems with alcohol and tobacco use than with the illegal drugs. Well, of course! Alcohol and tobacco are easier to get! You go to the liquor store, or wherever liquor is sold in your state; you can buy cigarettes in a grocery store or even a drug store, for Pity's sake! I really don't think anything else should be legalized, there are enough problems with alcohol and tobacco.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:32 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Legalizing all drugs would be INSANE. I have to agree with ramanboy33 and katiana (I haven't read through all the posts so I'm just noticing katiana's and the quote he/she used...if anyone else actually has a brain, I agree with you as well).

Alcohol and tobacco are far more prevalent than illegal drugs (largely because they're legal, duh!). Drugs that cause more problems than alcohol or tobacco would become widely used as well and the effects on society would be horrendous.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:13 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,813,430 times
Places that have decriminalized non-medical cannabis in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-20-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Legalizing all drugs would be INSANE. I have to agree with ramanboy33 and katiana (I haven't read through all the posts so I'm just noticing katiana's and the quote he/she used...if anyone else actually has a brain, I agree with you as well).

Alcohol and tobacco are far more prevalent than illegal drugs (largely because they're legal, duh!). Drugs that cause more problems than alcohol or tobacco would become widely used as well and the effects on society would be horrendous.
so you say we should just keep fighting a losing war!!! why not try a different strategy and legallize them and take all the billions that would be saved on encarseration and enforcement and educate people about the bad aspects of using hard drugs... and build rehab centers for the drug users with the money that would be saved... it would crash the cartels soon after legallization violence would be nill.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:39 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
so you say we should just keep fighting a losing war!!! why not try a different strategy and legallize them and take all the billions that would be saved on encarseration and enforcement and educate people about the bad aspects of using hard drugs... and build rehab centers for the drug users with the money that would be saved... it would crash the cartels soon after legallization violence would be nill.
Of course I suppose you support using taxpayers' money to fund these rehab centers....

I have no problem with my money going to fund treatment in lieu of incarceration as long as drugs remain criminalized. I have a HUGE problem with the government saying "it's OK, go ahead and do it....we'll clean up your mess."

Alcohol has had a worse impact on our society from a social perspective than almost anything else. Alcohol is legal and is used far more widely than any illegal drug. Some of the illegal drugs are MORE harmful than alcohol. Use of them will go up, problems will multiply tenfold.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:42 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
We could start by executing drug dealers. Caught selling drugs? Trial by peers exected same day of verdict.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Of course I suppose you support using taxpayers' money to fund these rehab centers....

I have no problem with my money going to fund treatment in lieu of incarceration as long as drugs remain criminalized. I have a HUGE problem with the government saying "it's OK, go ahead and do it....we'll clean up your mess."

Alcohol has had a worse impact on our society from a social perspective than almost anything else. Alcohol is legal and is used far more widely than any illegal drug. Some of the illegal drugs are MORE harmful than alcohol. Use of them will go up, problems will multiply tenfold.
i truly doubt it!!!!the war on drugs will never end it's time to try a new strategy 6500 people were killed in mexico alone last year!!! don't know the numers on the us side but must be high.they will never win the war... to much money involved by keeping drugs ilegal. they at least should legallize marijuana.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:52 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,016,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
Don't know the answer to that..but if you really want to know...look at the countries where it is legal..

So I did. This specific link is for Denmark, but there is a list of other European
countries, what is legal where, etc. Since Denmark is well known for its drug
laws, that was my first thought.

EMCDDA | Denmark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies