Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for the above initiative?
Yes 45 68.18%
No 19 28.79%
Unsure 2 3.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 09:33 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,122,075 times

Advertisements

I'm starting this thread to discuss a very serious issue in this country. The American Drug War, and culture towards its drug culture, has been extremely violent, counter-productive, and has sent billions towards private interest to incarcerate Americans. The money should be going towards treating the addicts and reducing the social ills associated with our illicit drug use.

With that said. We don't just have an ILLEGAL drug problem. We have a LEGAL drug problem. Both sides are motivated by profit and the American people are losing out. Millions of Americans have died due to legal drugs but the industry does not have the same stigma as the illicit industry and we allow some drugs on the market that are a danger to society. It's time to have an honest discussion about our drug problem. Some of our most talented have used drugs. Just as many of our talented live happy completely sober lives. There's any number of circumstances that have dictated each, so end the end, it's about CHOICE. As Americans, it is our duty to not ingringe upon others rights when no crime has been committed.

Upon infringing upon our Constitutional Rights, it also has created a culture of violence whenever it's occurred. It happened when we criminalized alcohol in the 30's. Italian and Irish gangs ran the streets of "gangster city" and we clocked some of our most violent years. Prohibition was repealed and our murder rates dropped nation wide. They never again increased drastically until other drugs started to become criminalized in this country. Americans have continued to use, and ENTIRE COUNTRIES are at war over our DRUG MARKET.

I believe targeting criminals or dangers to the public, rather than users, would help save lives in law enforcement. If we know that we can declare drugs (just as guns) it shouldn't be an issue if our judges and officers use discretion. The ONLY reason an AMERICAN citizen should be stopped on the roads should be for traffic violations. Racial profiling should be outlawed and road blocks should only be used to apprehend violent or dangerous criminals. All other traffic is allowed through. If you assault or harm a police officer, harsh penalties. I do not believe the public will accept assaults on police officers if they are not infringing upon citizen's rights and being respectful.

The hard addicts should receive treatment rather than a prison facility. It would be similar to prison, but with all activities based on rehab. It would have a much higher number of inmates just wanting to live peaceful lives and so there would be a much lower risk of violence. The private rehab market would remain to those who wanted to pay for their treatment. They would be mandatory (would result in job loss in many cases, so not a light offense). Other users, who's offense resulted from the use of a drug, who are not deemed addicted or a threat, would just go through the justice system like everyone else. Those deemed hard addicts, would be forced into treatment.The entire industry would create jobs for doctors and social workers rather than wardens. Our goal as a country would be to reduce our "drug" problem rather than profit from it.

Would you vote for this initiative??

Last edited by Gtownoe; 06-05-2013 at 10:18 PM..

Old 06-06-2013, 09:36 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,247 times
After the Communists took over China in 1949 they rounded up the drug users and put them into treatment or shot them. They told them point blank that there was no second chance and the problem went away. They Chinese government did the same thing back in the 1800's with people addicted to drugs. We should do the same thing now. Give the drug users some time picking beans in the hot sun for rehab and if they go back to drugs, put them back into the bean fields.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:42 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
^^ Haha you seem like a complete JOY to be around I'm sure.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:51 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
After the Communists took over China in 1949 they rounded up the drug users and put them into treatment or shot them. They told them point blank that there was no second chance and the problem went away.
While not comparable with U.S. China did have 25,879 drug convictions in 2003

And China still applies the death penalty for drug trafficing.

http://www.humanrightsanddrugs.org/w...-2-2012-BI.pdf

Yet has an ever growing drug problem

China's Growing Appetite for New Kinds of Luxury Goods: Illegal Drugs - Charles Zhu - The Atlantic

China Battles a Spreading Scourge of Illicit Drugs - New York Times

Old 06-06-2013, 10:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Our drug problem is a combination of profits made from trafficking and from punishment based on a religious zealotry to eliminate pleasure in any way, shape or form. Eliminating the legal restrictions and replacing punditry with pleasure would go a long way to make the US a far more pleasant place to live.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:35 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,354,912 times
The issues for me would be: who pays for the rehab, and is rehab really effective. I'm just not convinced that rehab is much more than a scam. Take the example of smoking. Every smoker I've ever known over the age of 25 or so would love to quit. If there were an effective rehab, they would beat a path to its door and hand over their checkbook. But most smokers I know have been unable to quit; ergo there is no effective rehab.

Thus I would envision gov't-provided rehab as a probably bureaucratic train wreck.

I am 100% pro-legalization, but only if the users are the ones who foot the bill for the health consequences of use.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:35 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
After the Communists took over China in 1949 they rounded up the drug users and put them into treatment or shot them. They told them point blank that there was no second chance and the problem went away. They Chinese government did the same thing back in the 1800's with people addicted to drugs. We should do the same thing now. Give the drug users some time picking beans in the hot sun for rehab and if they go back to drugs, put them back into the bean fields.

Why on GOD's green earth would you support anything a totalitarian regime like China does? Be careful what you wish for!

Old 06-06-2013, 10:56 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The issues for me would be: who pays for the rehab, and is rehab really effective. I'm just not convinced that rehab is much more than a scam. Take the example of smoking. Every smoker I've ever known over the age of 25 or so would love to quit. If there were an effective rehab, they would beat a path to its door and hand over their checkbook. But most smokers I know have been unable to quit; ergo there is no effective rehab.

Thus I would envision gov't-provided rehab as a probably bureaucratic train wreck.

I am 100% pro-legalization, but only if the users are the ones who foot the bill for the health consequences of use.
What if the money saved from abolishing the DEA, downsizing police forces and the FBI , closing thousands of prisons and freeing up the court system nationwide offset the costs of treating drug addicts? Not to mention the tax revenue for a whole new industry...

Old 06-06-2013, 11:03 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
What if the money saved from abolishing the DEA, downsizing police forces and the FBI , closing thousands of prisons and freeing up the court system nationwide offset the costs of treating drug addicts? Not to mention the tax revenue for a whole new industry...
Exactly! Most people seem to be unaware that nearly 70% of the DEA budget for the War on "Drugs" and over half of all drug arrests are for Marijuana-a plant that not only has a multitude of health benefits and has been used as such in nearly every civilization in human history, but is non-addictive.

Our Government will be saving Billions and Billions in tax-payer's money; not to mention allowing our law enforcement to focus on crimes that actually harm people. There will be plenty of money for the slim percent of the population that is abusing dangerous illegal substances.

Now the real question is how to handle the huge percent of the American population that has become addicted to legal drugs via corporate drug cartels.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 06-06-2013 at 11:12 AM..

Old 06-06-2013, 11:16 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,284 times
I am for freedom. If not for drugs, we wouldn't have Poe's The Raven. Seems to me we are the one's needing protection from the police, who are becoming more of an international force. As for forcing people into rehab, no. I respect the free will of people to chart their own destiny. I would like to be able to offer treatment on a voluntary basis without switching one drug for another, or causing another dependence, like AA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies