Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for the above initiative?
Yes 45 68.18%
No 19 28.79%
Unsure 2 3.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 10:08 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,137,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
That's fine in theory, but I expect in practice that the savings and new revenue would be spent on stuff like IRS dance parties, and shipping guns to drug dealers in Mexico. I could see us ending up with more addicts than ever before, and higher taxes for everyone as politics cry that 'something must be done.'

Recall that when the states sued 'big tobacco' and reaped over $200 billion, it was said that the money would be used to gallantly fight against the scourge of smoking. Instead the money was used for everything from balancing state budgets to installing fiber optic cable:
Op/Ed Column: Tobacco funds being misspent (04/10/03)
If we ever end the drug war it will be because of the people, not the government IMO.

With that being said, once the people get control of the government again, we'll have more discretion as to what our tax dollars are budgeted for. That's just the way I see it playing out.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:19 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,235,629 times
I have 0 sympathy for drug addicts. From our earliest years we are taught what happens when you do drugs. Yet you have these rocket scientists who thinks drug addiction only happens to the other 6.5 billion people on the planet, but not them. This is one case where I say that Darwinism play out. Yes I also believe in the death penalty for drug dealers.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:24 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,999,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I have 0 sympathy for drug addicts. From our earliest years we are taught what happens when you do drugs. Yet you have these rocket scientists who thinks drug addiction only happens to the other 6.5 billion people on the planet, but not them. This is one case where I say that Darwinism play out. Yes I also believe in the death penalty for drug dealers.

Do you feel the same about cannabis?

Old 06-07-2013, 10:31 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,235,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Do you feel the same about cannabis?
I feel that if you opt to violate laws then you opt to accept what follows.
Do I want to work on a manufacturing line next to a guy that smoked some really good stuff while on break?
Hell no. Same as I don't want to work next to a guy who was pounding a few shots on his break.
Where I work we have a thing called incident based testing. On 3 occasions I have used my position to have drug/ alcohol users tested and subsequently terminated. I have no regrets. Stoned or drunk you put others at risk. I will not allow my people to be in harms way so Johnny can toke up on break.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:33 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
It seems the addicts want to legalize drugs so they can use them, and when things get out of control, they will demand tax payer funded treatment.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I feel that if you opt to violate laws then you opt to accept what follows.
Do I want to work on a manufacturing line next to a guy that smoked some really good stuff while on break?
Hell no. Same as I don't want to work next to a guy who was pounding a few shots on his break.
Where I work we have a thing called incident based testing. On 3 occasions I have used my position to have drug/ alcohol users tested and subsequently terminated. I have no regrets. Stoned or drunk you put others at risk. I will not allow my people to be in harms way so Johnny can toke up on break.

I'm inclined to agree with you in regards to getting yourself geeked on your lunch break. If you're stupid enough to get yourself intoxicated during work hours, and you're caught, then you deserve to be fired. That is just common sense. I would never dream of doing anything like that during work hours. However; when it's on MY time then it's nobody elses business! As for cannabis being against the law, I fully support the repealing of its prohibition. When you have alcohol, and tobacco which is much more harmful, and a growing epidemic of abuse of legal opiates, it's rather silly to continue a war on weed.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:51 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,573,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It seems the addicts want to legalize drugs so they can use them, and when things get out of control, they will demand tax payer funded treatment.
No, we see this as an issue of individual freedom of choice. The gov'ts interest is in protecting the pharmaceutical industry, who's legal drugs are no safer, no cheaper, no less dangerous. The opposite could be argued. Legal scripts probably cost the tax payers much more in money and quality of life, either by causing harm or by masking the problem, or inventing a problem to treat at our expense. We have millions upon millions in this country on disability. I would guess that all of them are on at least one legal drug.

If you are pro-legal drugs and against illegal, you are just a tool for the gov't special interest, BigPharma.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
No, we see this as an issue of individual freedom of choice. The gov'ts interest is in protecting the pharmaceutical industry, who's legal drugs are no safer, no cheaper, no less dangerous. The opposite could be argued. Legal scripts probably cost the tax payers much more in money and quality of life, either by causing harm or by masking the problem, or inventing a problem to treat at our expense. We have millions upon millions in this country on disability. I would guess that all of them are on at least one legal drug.

If you are pro-legal drugs and against illegal, you are just a tool for the gov't special interest, BigPharma.

Indeed.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:25 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,740,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't think anyone is foolish enough to think it is suddenly going to end and all drugs disappear. It is a law enforcement effort, like policing the streets, so it is an on-going project.
all drugs will never end, but a different method would be better than the failed methods being used now.

portugal is better now than it was 12 years ago caused they tried a different method..

Old 06-07-2013, 12:08 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,073,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Why? People get addicted to cigarettes, and coffee. Should that be illegal too? Look I fully support punishing crimes that an addict may committ to get their fix, but other than that drug abuse should be treated as a medical issue. Again, those who want to help themselves will do so. Those who don't, will die! It's nature's way of thinning the herd.
It can be treated as a medical issue, but that doesn't preclude forced treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies