Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for the above initiative?
Yes 45 68.18%
No 19 28.79%
Unsure 2 3.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 07:00 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Well heroin OD's have increased in Wisconsin over the last few years and heroin is illegal in Wisconsin but it's now surpassing cocaine deaths I think. And alcohol prohibition is over and plenty of deaths related alcoholism occur.

It also depends on how many OD's Portugal have. If they had 15 when it drugs were criminalized and it has risen to 20 since decriminalization, it wouldn't be the same as 1 million OD deaths in Portugal post decriminalization.

The Portuguese seem to think it's reasonable to keep their drug laws the way they are. I imagine if decriminalization was clearly a catastrophe in their country the Portuguese would be going back to criminalize drugs again.
If cocaine use doubled in US, like it did in Portugal, it would be a big deal. Let's not pretend that would somehow mean the problem went away.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:02 PM

122 posts, read 108,124 times
No. Simply because I don't see a problem. Some people WANT to do drugs so more power to them,but I figure if they harm someone while on drugs then they should get a severe penalty. No forcing people to get treatment if they don't want to.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:03 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I'd be down with those proposals.

Especially decreasing our police force. I don't believe in a revenue driven police force which it seems like we have now.
Yeah, police departments are just such revenue generators...

Old 06-18-2013, 10:22 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If cocaine use doubled in US, like it did in Portugal, it would be a big deal. Let's not pretend that would somehow mean the problem went away.

you still spreading lies..

Old 06-18-2013, 10:51 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
you still spreading lies..
Not even believable lies.

Like people don't use hard drugs because they're illegal

No. People don't smoke crack because they don't want to look like Pookie off New Jack City lol.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:58 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Not even believable lies.

Like people don't use hard drugs because they're illegal

No. People don't smoke crack because they don't want to look like Pookie off New Jack City lol.

Exactly!!!!!!! And then eventually if you end up continually using it you will end up DEAD!!!!

Old 06-19-2013, 01:57 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,472,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I'm not talking about a drug (addiction) problem disappearing from a nation or from earth. I think addiction if viewed as a health problem is one of those things that will remain a health scourge on earth for one reason or another. Like alcoholism and obesity.

If an alcoholic is drinking his beer in his backyard, not having committed any other crime or violation (none at all sense even possessing beer and consuming it is not a crime in most cities, towns, and villages), the police riding by on bikes, or in car, or patrolling of foot don't jump out and conduct a sweep and arrest.

If a drug addict is not committing any other crime or violation and just walking by to get to his or her home or location to use out of the sight of others, why should said person have to walk and move in fear of constant police stops, arrests, and incarcerations? One friend of mine in painting (and painters--and construction in general--has a lot of alcoholics, and now a good number of drug addicts too) was addicted to heroin. He's passed away now from poor health. But he was not out robbing people or hurting others (aside maybe for his family due to his use). He spent a lot of his money from his paychecks on buyinh heroin and gave some of it to his woman and kids. How would depriving his kids and woman even of that small amount of income they got from him, benefit them and the tax payers by paying for police time to arrest him, type paper work on him, and put him through the courts and jails?

If homosexuals had to go through what drug addicts go through with fear of police, courts, jail, record, loss of job or schooling... there would be mad outrage.

I understand drug addiction causes personal and usually monetary dysfunction that homosexuality does not. I also understand drug addiction causes great moral corruption to the individual. But they have already been victimized by the drug dealers through chemical and mental enslavement. Why does the government need to use the police and courts to victimize them again? Especially in the so-called "Land of the Free"?

If a heroin or crack addict is breaking into someones home--like the drunk person--then arrest them. If they are not bothering anyone--like the drunk person--than leave them alone. Is that so hard?

Old 06-19-2013, 02:00 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,472,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Exactly!!!!!!! And then eventually if you end up continually using it you will end up DEAD!!!!
I think black male crack addicts are far less likely to OD or otherwise die from health issues than black homosexual males, at least in Milwaukee, since statistically almost 50% have HIV. Albeit, through drug cocktails people with HIV can live long lives today.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:15 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
I'm not talking about a drug (addiction) problem disappearing from a nation or from earth. I think addiction if viewed as a health problem is one of those things that will remain a health scourge on earth for one reason or another. Like alcoholism and obesity.

If an alcoholic is drinking his beer in his backyard, not having committed any other crime or violation (none at all sense even possessing beer and consuming it is not a crime in most cities, towns, and villages), the police riding by on bikes, or in car, or patrolling of foot don't jump out and conduct a sweep and arrest.

If a drug addict is not committing any other crime or violation and just walking by to get to his or her home or location to use out of the sight of others, why should said person have to walk and move in fear of constant police stops, arrests, and incarcerations? One friend of mine in painting (and painters--and construction in general--has a lot of alcoholics, and now a good number of drug addicts too) was addicted to heroin. He's passed away now from poor health. But he was not out robbing people or hurting others (aside maybe for his family due to his use). He spent a lot of his money from his paychecks on buyinh heroin and gave some of it to his woman and kids. How would depriving his kids and woman even of that small amount of income they got from him, benefit them and the tax payers by paying for police time to arrest him, type paper work on him, and put him through the courts and jails?

If homosexuals had to go through what drug addicts go through with fear of police, courts, jail, record, loss of job or schooling... there would be mad outrage.

I understand drug addiction causes personal and usually monetary dysfunction that homosexuality does not. I also understand drug addiction causes great moral corruption to the individual. But they have already been victimized by the drug dealers through chemical and mental enslavement. Why does the government need to use the police and courts to victimize them again? Especially in the so-called "Land of the Free"?

If a heroin or crack addict is breaking into someones home--like the drunk person--then arrest them. If they are not bothering anyone--like the drunk person--than leave them alone. Is that so hard?

Agreed. Again, I certainly don't advocate the use of hard drugs, nor would I use them. Now pot on the other hand.... At any rate, it should not be against the law by someone simply self-medicating. Only if a crime such as burglary, assault, rape, or murder has taken place. Then punish them for those CRIMES!!!! And quite frankly, if one cannot control themselves enough to moderate what they put in their bodies, and then they die, as I've said that is nature's way of thinning the herds. A bit harsh? Yes. But that is the reality of it, and we don't need some damn government mandate telling us what we can or cannot consume!!! On the other hand, those who want to help themselves will do so.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:52 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
I feel this is still a relevant discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.