Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for the above initiative?
Yes 45 68.18%
No 19 28.79%
Unsure 2 3.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 09:59 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,930,202 times

Advertisements

Wow, great points on both sides. I'm not a drug user, but have to side with legalizing based on the facts. We don't need the government making choices for the majority of America.
With Washingtons ever increasing control of our lives, we move further from our forefathers vision for American people.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
Let the addicts pay for their own treatment. If one has plenty of money for drugs, there is absolutely no need in free taxpayer treatment for them. Let them get insurance plans or whatever to cover their rehab costs, or let them pay out of pocket. Stay out of my wallet!

And that goes for unemployment handouts and all other welfare handouts like food stamps for drug addicts. If they choose to destroy their careers or their health with their drug use, their problem not mine.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:21 AM

1,805 posts, read 1,468,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Surrender to criminals? No, I don't think so
Now thats funny. The current system is a complete surrender to crininals and criminality. Not to mention one of the many proofs of the definition of insanity.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:27 AM

1,805 posts, read 1,468,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Let the addicts pay for their own treatment. If one has plenty of money for drugs, there is absolutely no need in free taxpayer treatment for them. Let them get insurance plans or whatever to cover their rehab costs, or let them pay out of pocket. Stay out of my wallet!

And that goes for unemployment handouts and all other welfare handouts like food stamps for drug addicts. If they choose to destroy their careers or their health with their drug use, their problem not mine.
Taxes on the drugs purchased, both perscription and non perscription weighted by the relative addictiveness of said drug should keep the treatment costs out of your wallet. Add in the overall gain in GDP due to the leagalization of hemp with its many uses and it seems to me legalization is the correct way to go both economically and liberty wise.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:11 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
if a science method was failing for over 70 years they would try something different.. Edison experimented with like 6000 different combinations of materials before he finally invented the carbon filament for light bulbs..

drug war is just that a never ending war,, definitely time to try another method
I don't think anyone is foolish enough to think it is suddenly going to end and all drugs disappear. It is a law enforcement effort, like policing the streets, so it is an on-going project.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:57 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,182,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
May I ask what kind of prescription drugs you're using?

One of the growing widespread usage of drugs involves our seniors with pain medication! How many times do you read in the paper today, a senior involved in an accident and? The diagnosis? Medical episode!

Those living in San Diego, or other border towns, could care less if drugs are legal or not, all they have to do is go to a Farmacia in Mexico, get any Dr. in a border town to write you a prescription (easy as pie!), which is honored at the Border, and drug out on the other side of the Border!
I seldom use drugs and have led a very clean life. I think the last drug I took was Motrin for a sore knee.

People make choices and excuses for their bad choices. I don't care what the reason have for becoming addicts and I'm willing to help them get clean, at their expense of course, but I don't care to drag things out so the "weak sisters" in society can feel good about themselves.

Put a addict into a bean field for 30 days and that is a shot in his/her arm to wake up and get clean. If they want to stay an addict just leave them on the farm to rot and die. No loss to society.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:31 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,999,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Sure someone has a reputation, but I used to live in the rural mountains - they can still make life difficult.

Sure addiction should be illegal - because people who are addicted are a bane to society, and if they aren't willing to help themselves,society should force it - Addicts don't operate in a void.

Why? People get addicted to cigarettes, and coffee. Should that be illegal too? Look I fully support punishing crimes that an addict may committ to get their fix, but other than that drug abuse should be treated as a medical issue. Again, those who want to help themselves will do so. Those who don't, will die! It's nature's way of thinning the herd.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:56 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,137,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Ok, everyone keeps saying the "bane in taxes." What taxes? Serious hard core drug users don't have jobs. How are they going to get their drugs? How do they get them now? They steal, rob, and burglarize people's homes to get money to buy drugs. So what are you going to do, lock them up for the theft? They only did it to get drugs and if drugs were legal, they wouldn't be locked up, right? Wrong again.

So now what? The government runs the methamphetamine trade. It has to have committee's, a director which is making a million plus a year, thousands of cronies, which is going to drive up the cost of crank god knows how much. However, its going to go up substantially. There is no way around this. Then what? Even your casual, weekend drug user won't be able to afford to go to their local Rite Aid and buy crank. So is Obamacare going to cover drugs?
Now, all these people who can't afford it (except the 1%) are going to go right back to the drug dealers they see now.

What about all the families this destroys? Jane Smith just wants to lose those last 5 lbs. In case you don't know, methamphetamine is marketed, legally, in the US as a weight loss drug. Its called Desoxyn. Now she gets addicted to it, oses her job, and her kids are out on the streets, along with her. Or do you want to raise everyone's taxes to pay for the increased welfare roles and unemployment?

Sure, this may only happen to 5% of the population, however that is ALOT of people and ALOT of social services and again, the tax revenue is NOT going to be there.

Two more points on this: One, one reason Obama has been going after medical marijuana is the plain and simple fact: They aren't paying taxes. Two, in California, of course most people don't know this and/or the drug users gloss over it, mere drug possession IS DE-CRIMANLIZED. Yet, drug usage in California hasn't gone down.

It has done what others on this thread has said: Made a whole new breed of money grubbing people: REHAB. See, if you are caught just with drugs, the court MUST send you to rehab (with minor exceptions). Get caught again and rehab again. And again, and again, and again, and again. ALL paid for with taxpayer money. Oh, and guess who gets to decide whether or not you are making progress in rehab? The rehab counselors...Like school, no full seats, no money. See the abuses there? But hell, were HELPING the addicts aren't we?

All of this junk "sounds good." On paper. Fact is, it doesn't work, won't work, and will never work. The first time some soccer mom flips out on crank and slices her kids throats, people are going to scream: Why is this stuff legal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Absolutely not and trying to make this a gun control issue is stupid and inane. I AM blaming the person. What I am asking for is people who want to legalize drugs to think it through better and think about the consequences of said actions. What are we going to do with all these drug addicts? Where are they going to go? Who is going to pay for it?

That was the original intent of my post and of course, you have no answer for any of that. No one does. Its not about legalizing drugs for the population, its about legalizing drugs for them. MOST people who are for drug legalization are recreational drug users now and want it legal, so they do not face criminal charges. They don't care about the drug addicts and use it as a front. Its already been demonstrated with medical marijuana. Anyone who has a head on their shoulders know medical marijuana is a scam so people can freely use it. Same with drug legalization.

Now, come up with good solid VERIFIABLE answers on what to do with the 10 million plus new drug addicts, and all the fallout from their families and we can talk. WITHOUT raising my taxes to pay for these people. Until then, it is a pipe dream and drug users wants/desires.

Because NO LIBERAL is going to say: I don't care Jane Smith is addicted to drugs, lost her job, lost her house, and her 14 yr old is prostituting herself to pay for mommies drug habit. They are going to raise taxes to pay for social programs for these people. Because the tax base isn't going to be there to pay for it otherwise.

Sounds like someones arguing for job security.

Here's a little hint. Your not stopping the drug problem right now. Whatever your doing, its not working. And your locking up thousands who are not criminals and who are just going about their lives.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:26 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,375,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
What if the money saved from abolishing the DEA, downsizing police forces and the FBI , closing thousands of prisons and freeing up the court system nationwide offset the costs of treating drug addicts? Not to mention the tax revenue for a whole new industry...

That's fine in theory, but I expect in practice that the savings and new revenue would be spent on stuff like IRS dance parties, and shipping guns to drug dealers in Mexico. I could see us ending up with more addicts than ever before, and higher taxes for everyone as politics cry that 'something must be done.'

Recall that when the states sued 'big tobacco' and reaped over $200 billion, it was said that the money would be used to gallantly fight against the scourge of smoking. Instead the money was used for everything from balancing state budgets to installing fiber optic cable:
Op/Ed Column: Tobacco funds being misspent (04/10/03)

Old 06-07-2013, 07:34 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Wow, great points on both sides. I'm not a drug user, but have to side with legalizing based on the facts. We don't need the government making choices for the majority of America.
With Washingtons ever increasing control of our lives, we move further from our forefathers vision for American people.
As long as that same government stays out of paying for the health care of addicts and overdosers. No free rehab. No food stamps for drug users.

The only way this would work would be for consistency --- either be a real libertarian that would cut off drug users from taxpayer money and let them die on the streets if they choose drugs and the complications. Let their children starve if the drug addicts won't work to feed them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.