Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2022, 11:28 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,260,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I didn't vote for Gainey because I am not in favor of defunding the police. I also didn't vote for Moreno because he seemed like a moron whenever he spoke about his plans for the city. He literally said the problem with Downtown was "not enough parking" when there is SO much parking currently, that the garage I park in for work seems to always be far less than <50% occupied.

I voted for Peduto, who somehow managed to get the police to think he was too anti-police and the public to think he was too pro-police, which is why he didn't get re-elected. He beefed up police staffing and spending under his watch, yet the police didn't think that was good enough. He also chastised officers when they were worthy of punishment, but the public didn't think that was good enough. All people focused on were the facts that he liked bike lanes and was pompous/elitist.

I'm sorry, but so far I see no reason to think Mayor Gainey is awesome. He's done very little (to be fair good OR bad) in his first year in office. I will reserve judgment for the time being, but I have a feeling the only ones who think he's "awesome" only feel that way because of the color of his skin. I am unimpressed that even with having both a Deputy Mayor and Chief of Staff to help him out along with a ton of advisors (Peduto only had a Chief of Staff) somehow the city seems to be heading in the wrong direction, especially the North Side where the gunfire has been incessant this year. Of course wpipkins, who lives in a nice quiet middle-class part of East Hills with great neighbors or Eschaton, who lives in the generally nice neighborhood of Morningside, will disagree with me, but I am worried about how the city has been faring over the past year. There are about 40,000 people on the North Side, and most of us are on edge right now. They can't even give away move-in-ready homes for $50,000 right now in my neighborhood.
Gasp, he said not enough parking. Interesting how that’s what made your decision versus the fact that he had no plans to be soft on crime which is what you’re complaining about, as it continues to get worse.

Continuing to vote and do the same thing over and over again and expecting different results doesn’t work. Do nothing also results in the same results, but it’s easier to complain about others than actually taking on the problems to try to fix them.

Old 11-16-2022, 11:34 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,439,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Democrats are some of the biggest election deniers around. If abortion rights are so important to dems why didn't they do anything about it for 40 years?
Are you completely backwards? Deniers? As in going around crying 'rigged election'?...

As far as abortion rights,yes they got people those rights. Now the repubs have taken them away,but tell me more about the party of 'don't infringe on our rights'

Old 11-16-2022, 11:36 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,439,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
So you’ll keep voting for a Dem run city/county/state, aren’t going to do anything to help get the criminals off the streets, will keep complaining about the crime and the criminals, say something needs done, etc…, but won’t do anything yourself while watching skyrocketing violent crime continue to rise?
What do you suggest that we 'do about it ourselves'?... I don't see the other side doing anything either.

Old 11-16-2022, 11:37 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,403,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Are you completely backwards? Deniers? As in going around crying 'rigged election'?...

As far as abortion rights,yes they got people those rights. Now the repubs have taken them away,but tell me more about the party of 'don't infringe on our rights'
Come on man, open your eyes.

Old 11-16-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
What do you suggest that we 'do about it ourselves'?... I don't see the other side doing anything either.
Who’s the other side that isn’t doing anything either, and please be specific to who they are?

Old 11-16-2022, 11:59 AM

4,179 posts, read 2,968,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Democrats are some of the biggest election deniers around. If abortion rights are so important to dems why didn't they do anything about it for 40 years? If you believe a politician has any connection with urban issue than you are out of touch. The Democrats pander the the urban areas but do they ever deliver on there promises? Have the wilkinsburg or homewoods gotten any better over the last 30 years? Did braddock show any improvement since fetterman showed up? They have shown up every 4 years with threats of republican oppression looking for votes but they are really the ones holding people back.
Both Wilkinsburg and Homewood are improving as we speak. Garfield and the Hill District as well. Braddock improved dramatically with blight removal and lowering violent crime. Braddock went 5 years without reported gunfire. The drug alleys were removed along with the blight. So yes. My question is what have republicans down from struggling rural or urban communities? Opioid epidemic? rural poverty?

Old 11-16-2022, 12:03 PM

4,179 posts, read 2,968,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo….and let’s not forget the burn it down folks ruined some of those areas during the Pittsburgh riots and they’ve never and will never recover….yet folks still approve of such behavior today. Again, reaping what they sow.
This was not the 1992 Rodney King riots. What neighborhood did these fictitious burn it down folks destroy in Pittsburgh?

Old 11-16-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
This was not the 1992 Rodney King riots. What neighborhood did these fictitious burn it down folks destroy in Pittsburgh?
Except it was, and lol at fictitious. Was it “a small price to pay” like you said about the $2B+ in damages during the summer of love?

The 1968 Pittsburgh riots were a series of urban disturbances that erupted in Pittsburgh on April 5, 1968, following the assassination of Martin Luther King. Pittsburgh, along with 110 other cities, burned for several days and 3,600 National Guardsmen were needed to quell the disorder. The neighborhoods most impacted were the Hill District, North Side, and Homewood, with casualties including one death and 36 injuries. Over 100 businesses were either vandalized or looted with arsonists setting 505 fires. After six days, order was finally restored on April 11, with property damage surpassing $600,000 (equivalent to $4.68 million in 2021) and 1,000 arrests being made by law enforcement. Many of the areas affected by the disorder would never fully recover in the following decades.

Old 11-16-2022, 12:20 PM

987 posts, read 281,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Both Wilkinsburg and Homewood are improving as we speak. Garfield and the Hill District as well. Braddock improved dramatically with blight removal and lowering violent crime. Braddock went 5 years without reported gunfire. The drug alleys were removed along with the blight. So yes. My question is what have republicans down from struggling rural or urban communities? Opioid epidemic? rural poverty?
How would you know what’s going on in homewood or the hill? Don’t you live in cranberry?

Old 11-16-2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
How would you know what’s going on in homewood or the hill? Don’t you live in cranberry?
They said they live in a “city hood”…and information about the Hill and Homewood is readily available. Shame those areas have suffered and continue to suffer so greatly from the burn it down folks back in the day. Interesting how folks still support such behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh