Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2022, 08:57 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,964,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Patently false. Find me a documented instance of a local juvenile shooter who illegally purchased a new firearm from a licensed retailer.
I'll wait.
Who suggested a local retailer? Guns are illegally purchased and sold daily. Children easily purchasing brand new guns in the box has to originate from the licensed dealer. There is money to be made in this underground trade. Who is at the top of the pyramid here? It is not a 16 year old black male from Homewood. People are getting rich while people are dying.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:05 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,242,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Who suggested a local retailer? Guns are illegally purchased and sold daily. Children easily purchasing brand new guns in the box has to originate from the licensed dealer. There is money to be made in this underground trade. Who is at the top of the pyramid here? It is not a 16 year old black male from Homewood. People are getting rich while people are dying.
Proof to children getting them from a licensed dealer or stealing them versus from criminals putting them in their hands, and please be specific?

Old 07-28-2022, 09:11 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,904,185 times
Quote:
The right wing NRA gun smugglers that put brand new in the box guns in the hand of children. You cannot possibly think that these guns are manufactured in the hood. You cannot believe that illegal guns are stolen from senior citizens.
Quote:
Patently false. Find me a documented instance of a local juvenile shooter who illegally purchased a new firearm from a licensed retailer.
I'll wait.
Quote:
So then the problem ISN'T the NRA, the right-wing, gun manufacturers, or gun dealers.
The problem is with criminals who illegally engage in straw-man purchases.

If this is so prevalent as you claim, find me one documented instance of some NRA-card-carrying Bubba driving to Homewood from Fayette/Washington/Butler/etc County and selling "brand new in the box" guns to 16 year olds.

Again, I'll wait.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:22 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,242,908 times
Quote:
So then the problem ISN'T the NRA, the right-wing, gun manufacturers, or gun dealers.

If this is so prevalent as you claim, find me one documented instance of some NRA-card-carrying Bubba driving to Homewood from Fayette/Washington/Butler/etc County and selling "brand new in the box" guns to 16 year olds.

Again, I'll wait.
Bingo…another failed attempt to defend criminals and blame guns and right wing folks.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Lol. Why Dems continue to defend and enable criminals is the real mystery…and there is gun control, but criminals will still find ways to acquire guns and get spun through the revolving doors of justice so they can do it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghophilia View Post
Bigger mystery -- why you continue to lie and spread BS talking points on this site everyday.
Read more widely, and more critically. Look beyond a headline or beyond whatever left-wing propaganda you were focused on while hating the Orange Man and the Russians.

Quote:
A Westmoreland County man suspected in the disappearance of a woman in 2018 was sentenced Wednesday to more than seven years in federal prison for illegal possession of 17 guns.

U.S. District Judge Mark Hornak imposed a term of 87 months on Thomas Stanko, 51, a felon who isn't allowed to have guns or ammo.
He had pleaded guilty to two counts of gun possession by a felon after state troopers said they found 17 guns on a property in Unity that Stanko owns and a storage unit he rents.
Stanko wasn't allowed to have any firearms because of his long criminal history, which includes assault, conspiracy, forgery and carrying a gun without a license, among other offenses.

He and his lawyer asked for a downward departure from sentencing guidelines because they said he suffered a traumatic childhood and alcohol abuse. They also argued that he didn't know he wasn't allowed to have guns.

But the judge rejected those arguments, saying Stanko had several convictions in which he shot at people and that he knew he was prohibited from having weapons.
https://www.post-gazette.com/news/cr...s/202207200105
This criminal animal gets caught illegally possessing 17 guns and he got to plea out to only 2 counts.
Of course Hornak was appointed by Obama...

Quote:
The Abolitionist Law Center, a progressive group whose volunteers have spent two years conducting viewings of various courtroom activities, filed the 62 complaints and a 48-page report.
The report also alleges that Gerald Thomas, 26, died in Allegheny County Jail due to “overlapping, systematic patterns of state violence that have become commonplace in this county.”

The county medical examiner said Thomas died of a bilateral pulmonary embolism — a blood clot affecting the lungs — and ruled the cause of death natural.

But Thomas shouldn’t have been in jail at all, the ALC alleges, because the charges against him were withdrawn by the Allegheny County District Attorney’s office. Still, Judge Mariani refused to lift Thomas’ probation detainer, telling him he was likely to die in the street if he was allowed out of jail.
https://www.post-gazette.com/news/cr...s/202207060067
Quote:
On March 30, 2021, 26-year-old Gerald Thomas was stopped by Pittsburgh Police Officer Joshua R. Anderson for allegedly rolling through a stop sign. After conducting an illegal search of his vehicle, Officer Anderson arrested Mr. Thomas for illegal possession of a firearm. At the time of his arrest, Mr. Thomas was on probation with Judge Anthony Mariani, who lodged a probation detainer against him when he was arrested. The probation detainer ensured 1 that Mr. Thomas would remain detained pending his probation violation hearing, despite having had bail set at $2,000—an amount that could have easily been paid by a local bail fund.

The District Attorney’s Office (DAO) brought several charges against him, the most serious of which was prohibited possession of a firearm. All of these charges were nolle prossed (i.e. the prosecution decided not to pursue these charges) on January 27, 2022, due to Pittsburgh Police Officer Anderson’s illegal search of Mr. Thomas’s vehicle. Mr. Thomas’s probation violation hearing was scheduled for February 17, 2022. At this point, his family and his attorney expected that Judge Mariani would lift his probation detainer and Mr. Thomas could thus be released from jail, which was the outcome recommended by the Allegheny County Adult Probation Department. Despite his charges being nolle prossed, Judge Mariani believed it was still possible to violate Mr. Thomas for his probation and threatened to send him to state prison. He asserted that the lesser standard of 2 proof required at probation violation hearings permitted him to consider the illegally obtained evidence, in spite of a 2016 ruling from the Pennsylvania 3 Supreme Court holding that evidence obtained via an illegal search is inadmissible in probation proceedings.4

Judge Mariani postponed the hearing 30 days so that Mr. Thomas’s attorney could prepare a defense to Judge Mariani’s legally erroneous hypothesis. At the February 17th hearing, Judge
Mariani defended his decision to continue detaining Mr. Thomas, stating, “I'm tired of making ticky-tacky technical decisions and young men walking out the door and getting shot down in the street two months, three months later because they won't quit. I would rather make a technical decision the other way, and at least he's alive.” Seventeen days 5 later, Mr. Thomas collapsed at Allegheny County Jail and was transferred to Mercy Hospital, where he was declared deceased.
https://abolitionistlawcenter.org/wp...2022-FINAL.pdf
Call me crazy, but I dont think that the solution to gun violence is to make a rallying cry out of someone who a judge wanted to keep jailed for violating his probation by illegally possessing a firearm. Somehow, this strikes me as rather counterintuitive. But again, call me crazy.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:30 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,964,848 times
Quote:

Again, I'll wait.
I do not frequent underground gun sales. I do know that high powered guns are in the hands of children. Where are the brand new in the box guns coming from? They are not smuggled from or manufactured in the hoods ravaged by drugs and crime. This is happening coast to coast. Again.....who is at the top of the financial pyramid?

Old 07-28-2022, 09:35 AM

468 posts, read 124,521 times
Quote:
Read more widely, and more critically. Look beyond a headline or beyond whatever left-wing propaganda you were focused on while hating the Orange Man and the Russians.
Well, those statements are based on faulty premises.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I do not frequent underground gun sales. I do know that high powered guns are in the hands of children. Where are the brand new in the box guns coming from? They are not smuggled from or manufactured in the hoods ravaged by drugs and crime. This is happening coast to coast. Again.....who is at the top of the financial pyramid?
If you dont frequent underground gun sales, how do you know that "brand new in the box" guns are being sold to children??

Old 07-28-2022, 09:43 AM

At least back in 1994, the Pittsburgh Police's "Gun Task Force," had determined that most illegal guns were being brought into the city from out of state:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...rontpage&hl=en

Page 11 of the paper or page 6 of google archive.

Looks like a lot of proposed gun legislation in the late 1990s, including proposals to limit the number of guns that could be purchased each day. A lot of recent commentary has noted that the US has 9 times the amount of gun violence as any other advanced democracy, and the only unique feature of our country is the amount of guns that we have. I'm all for more police and stronger sentences, but it seems that we'll just be chasing our tails until we find some way to decrease the number of guns, including buy backs, and other methods.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:49 AM

By the way, the orange man is bad -- (among countless other things, up to and including "mean tweets"), he tried to subvert the peaceful transfer of power. So, yea, not a good dude. Have you been watching the hearings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh