Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 06:32 PM

5,234 posts, read 8,014,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
Hey gas prices are down by a few cents in my neck of the woods. My vent is why are they not down more???
It's funny how it is around here, 45 miles up the road from my vet it will be up to 25 cents cheaper a gallon. Then 15 miles east of that small town my vet is in the same quick shop store will charge another nickel a gallon for it. Maybe its a tax thing to some degree, though you can bet around the holidays it won't be going down any.

The prices in Iowa are cheaper for that ethanol mix but I don't think its good for cars, no matter what some might say and you get worse mpg too. In Missouri the prices for unleaded and the ethanol crap are the same. It's usually cheaper there than in in the rural Iowa towns. Des Moines has always been even more than around my rural area for gas, I don't really get that either. I don't know how some families do it, with everything so expensive. Milk and gas about the same price, which do they choose.

We spent 805 Billion on the war and gas is still over 3 bucks a gallon. I can think of countless better uses for that money.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:51 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,536,735 times
We just had some friends visit from England. They said they are paying the equivalent of about $8.50 a gallon for fuel over there.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:33 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,872,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMomof6 View Post
It does sound as though you did a VERY sweet thing for your mom, and if you were my child I would love any book or present that you gave me, especially after you surprised her with decorations! You did mention that she has ill health and memory loss so I think you should just let it go and not hold it against her as she probably does not know how it hurt your feelings. Merry Christmas and I hope you dont lose all of your Christmas Joy
I'm trying really hard to let it go, but for some reason I'm really struggling. I guess I feel like I have to suck up so much because of her health. You can't really sit her down and say "you know, that really bothered me..." She instantly gets very defensive and it's just not worth it. So I end up basically just letting everything go, and I end up feeling like I'm not really 'allowed' to be angry or hurt. I spend some much time dealing with her feelings that I don't get any time or space for my own. And even though I'm pretty good at dealing with that, considering, for whatever reason I just want to sit and simmer in resentment over this particular episode. Not the best reaction, but I think it's more of a build up of things rather than really about this one particular thing, if that makes sense.

Anyway...still profoundly annoyed and unChristmasy over here.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I'm trying really hard to let it go, but for some reason I'm really struggling. I guess I feel like I have to suck up so much because of her health. You can't really sit her down and say "you know, that really bothered me..." She instantly gets very defensive and it's just not worth it. So I end up basically just letting everything go, and I end up feeling like I'm not really 'allowed' to be angry or hurt. I spend some much time dealing with her feelings that I don't get any time or space for my own. And even though I'm pretty good at dealing with that, considering, for whatever reason I just want to sit and simmer in resentment over this particular episode. Not the best reaction, but I think it's more of a build up of things rather than really about this one particular thing, if that makes sense.

Anyway...still profoundly annoyed and unChristmasy over here.
Its very stressful to be caretaker to someone ill. You are a very good daughter to take care of her as you are. There are some that would be putting themselves first. Try to let this go, the holidays are hard on a lot of us, I'll also be glad when this one is over with. I wish you and your mom the best of everything for next year.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:58 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,872,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Its very stressful to be caretaker to someone ill. You are a very good daughter to take care of her as you are. There are some that would be putting themselves first. Try to let this go, the holidays are hard on a lot of us, I'll also be glad when this one is over with. I wish you and your mom the best of everything for next year.
Of course, the best part is that she's already forgotten the whole thing. It's frustrating trying to give someone the cold shoulder when they don't remember they did anything and thus have no reason to even suspect you might be angry with them.

This is the worst part of being a caretaker. You're forced to be mature even when you want to throw a tantrum.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:54 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,309,894 times
ParallelJJCat...you're not my sister, are you?? Just kidding. My mother, luckily, does not need a caretaker, but she can be hurtful and won't listen.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:27 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,467,741 times
My wife's mother lives with us, she is 86. Luckily she is'nt too bad to deal with. I spend
a lot of time in the kitchen on C-D because she rambles a lot. Talks about the past, likes
reminicing about the second world war - she had a good war!! Trouble is, she tells me
the same tales over and over again. Judy will say "mum, you've told us this before - many
times." But, the old girl likes to tell it again!! I know it could be worse - and in time, no
doubt will be. She is OK for now being left for a couple of weeks when we go away on
holiday, but I'm aware that could change at any time.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:58 AM

14,490 posts, read 26,656,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
For a third year, I've "adopted" one of my school's students for Christmas. This year it's a sophomore, three months pregnant (<*sighs*>) and she provided a list of baby items that she was hoping for. I'm a pretty savvy shopper, and was able to utilize the after-Thanksgiving sales, so I was able to get most of the items she wanted. Still, it cost a pretty penny -- but this is basically the only holiday shopping I do, so that's OK.

Well, anyhoo -- today the girl stopped by the office of the school Social Worker (who coordinates the "adoption" program) and asked if she could have the receipts, because she wanted to exchange something.

And what did she want to exchange?

The car seat I bought her.

Why?

<*drum roll please*>

Because she doesn't like the color.

SHE ... DOESN'T ... LIKE ... THE ... COLOR.

First, I told the Social Worker what the girl could do with the car seat. Then, I said if she doesn't want it, she can give it back and I'll go get a refund -- which I'll keep.

The Social Worker eventually told her she should just say "thanks" and not complain.

Ungrateful child ..... (grumble grumble grumble )
You should have got cash refund for the babyseat and given her a 12 pack of ramen noodles. Then tell her , welcome to the real world of being a single mother.

talk about entitlement issues, jeez...

Old 12-18-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
You should have got cash refund for the babyseat and given her a 12 pack of ramen noodles. Then tell her , welcome to the real world of being a single mother.

talk about entitlement issues, jeez...
Then she'd return the ramen noodles and buy a 12 pack of beer.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:19 PM

14,490 posts, read 26,656,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Then she'd return the ramen noodles and buy a 12 pack of beer.
ur right...lol. she sounds very selfish.

I dont get the deal with teens having babies to get attention, then they get to be on MTV with idiot Dr Drew Pinsky .....

in my day my Dad wld've freaked...well we had values then...the media promotes teenage narcissism these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics