Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2011, 04:22 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,082,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
For a third year, I've "adopted" one of my school's students for Christmas. This year it's a sophomore, three months pregnant (<*sighs*>) and she provided a list of baby items that she was hoping for. I'm a pretty savvy shopper, and was able to utilize the after-Thanksgiving sales, so I was able to get most of the items she wanted. Still, it cost a pretty penny -- but this is basically the only holiday shopping I do, so that's OK.

Well, anyhoo -- today the girl stopped by the office of the school Social Worker (who coordinates the "adoption" program) and asked if she could have the receipts, because she wanted to exchange something.

And what did she want to exchange?

The car seat I bought her.

Why?

<*drum roll please*>

Because she doesn't like the color.

SHE ... DOESN'T ... LIKE ... THE ... COLOR.

First, I told the Social Worker what the girl could do with the car seat. Then, I said if she doesn't want it, she can give it back and I'll go get a refund -- which I'll keep.

The Social Worker eventually told her she should just say "thanks" and not complain.

Ungrateful child ..... (grumble grumble grumble )
WOW! That sure is ungrateful! Sheesh!

Old 12-15-2011, 04:26 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,082,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Did you read the story about the guy that stabbed his wife to death inside the Walmart store, she worked at a banking location inside the store. Instead of closing the store, they just roped off the area and stayed open. What the hell is wrong with this world. Loss of life doesn't mean a thing anymore, ethics and morals are gone, its all about the all mighty buck. I hope people stop shopping there, though the attitude of businesses all seem the same now a days. Just step over the body and play through.

Cops: Man stabs wife to death at bank in South Carolina Walmart* - NY Daily News
Wow! That is so awful ... I don't understand people and I sure don't understand how Wal-Mart can even stay open after a murder took place in their store ....

Old 12-15-2011, 04:55 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,271,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Sun queen

The little girl might be picking this up from “other” kids at the daycare. You might want to think about it carefully and figure out how to tell the mother,,,,,, she needs to know one way or the other. Think about it this way; If you were the mother would you want to know?
I agree with AksarbeN, Sun queen. When there is abuse there's no such things as butting in. With abuse in the life of this little girl, if she has not already been physically harmed she will be. An abuser always gets around to the kids. Even if she has not been touched, she is already a victim if there is abuse of anyone in her life. Some women living with such a criminal look and act rough, tough and able to the rest of the world and yet they go back and get the crap beat out of them every day and night. I would definitely let the mother know and watch her eyes. The eyes will tell.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:54 PM

16,223 posts, read 25,745,112 times
I work my ass off on my people. I give them high qualified work..the best I can, just to find out that I`m not getting paid for it.
Guess this gal will be in the office first thing tomorrow!!!

Old 12-15-2011, 09:41 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,874,959 times
Default Woe is me- rejected gifts sucked all the joy from Xmas

This doesn't really fit anywhere else. I really just want to whine and play the world's smallest violin for a few minutes.

I live with my mother and take care of her due to ill health and memory loss. This is the first year we haven't put up Christmas light and I knew she was depressed about it. We also can't have a tree because the cats would find some way to hurt themselves with it.

Her birthday was this week. For birthdays and Xmas we tend to do gift cards....which just means we're exchanging money back and forth. I'm sick of it, so I picked out three books I really thought she'd like (we're both big readers.)

The package came a little later than expected. Last night I got out of work at 8pm. I stopped at Target and bought every goofy Xmas decoration I could find. When I came home the package of books had arrived that day, so I had her open that, then told her to go to her room until I called her. I spent two hours decorating the house so she could have her Xmas. A little tree, garland, snowflakes, etc.

I was really excited to do it and felt pretty proud and happy with myself. I call her out, and she spends maybe five minutes admiring everything before asking how to return the books. She doesn't like any of them. This one is badly written, she's just not interested in this, this one is above her head...

It just completely killed all of my enthusiasm and joy. Right now I couldn't care less about Xmas and I really just want to rip all the decorations down. I got her a gift card, and she'll get another on Christmas day. I don't want anything, because again, yay, money exchange, how freaking exciting.

Bah humbug.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:56 PM

5,234 posts, read 8,017,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
This doesn't really fit anywhere else. I really just want to whine and play the world's smallest violin for a few minutes.

I live with my mother and take care of her due to ill health and memory loss. This is the first year we haven't put up Christmas light and I knew she was depressed about it. We also can't have a tree because the cats would find some way to hurt themselves with it.

Her birthday was this week. For birthdays and Xmas we tend to do gift cards....which just means we're exchanging money back and forth. I'm sick of it, so I picked out three books I really thought she'd like (we're both big readers.)

The package came a little later than expected. Last night I got out of work at 8pm. I stopped at Target and bought every goofy Xmas decoration I could find. When I came home the package of books had arrived that day, so I had her open that, then told her to go to her room until I called her. I spent two hours decorating the house so she could have her Xmas. A little tree, garland, snowflakes, etc.

I was really excited to do it and felt pretty proud and happy with myself. I call her out, and she spends maybe five minutes admiring everything before asking how to return the books. She doesn't like any of them. This one is badly written, she's just not interested in this, this one is above her head...

It just completely killed all of my enthusiasm and joy. Right now I couldn't care less about Xmas and I really just want to rip all the decorations down. I got her a gift card, and she'll get another on Christmas day. I don't want anything, because again, yay, money exchange, how freaking exciting.

Bah humbug.
I'm sorry, when you try hard to please someone and they seem not only like its no big deal but don't appreciate the love and caring that went into it, sure it can kill the Christmas spirit. I would tell her in a nice way that it hurt your feelings just so she understands how it made you feel. So much is how people say things too. If she would have said, oh thanks honey and then later said, she thought maybe the books wouldn't be as interesting as she thought, its a lot more tactful than, I don't like them where's the receipt. Maybe it had something to do with her not feeling well. I would tell her that her reaction did hurt your feeling though, its better to be open about how it made you feel. Ya, exchanging money is really exciting.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:04 PM

741 posts, read 1,684,728 times
It does sound as though you did a VERY sweet thing for your mom, and if you were my child I would love any book or present that you gave me, especially after you surprised her with decorations! You did mention that she has ill health and memory loss so I think you should just let it go and not hold it against her as she probably does not know how it hurt your feelings. Merry Christmas and I hope you dont lose all of your Christmas Joy

Old 12-15-2011, 10:09 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,623,930 times
It appears you two are just going through the motions of the occasion, so it may be time to be frank with each other and cease the "gift" exchanging.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:48 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,468,422 times
Is it normal to feel like I could just beat every last drop of blood out of certain people, slit their throat and watch them die in their own blood? Cos that's how I feel right now.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:52 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,468,422 times
I need somebody to kill now pleeease
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics