Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 03:21 PM

5,234 posts, read 8,040,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
When you think you could pick up this island of Britain, drop it in Texas, then have a struggle
finding it, you can understand the size of the problem we are talking about here. Britain and
Northern Ireland have a population of approx 60 million!! This is growing rapidly with people
coming to live here. Many of these immigrants go on to have large families. I have no problem
with people who come here to work like the polish people. Same with people from India. They have a work ethic, and are good for the country. Others head for here because of the
benefit system. Also we have people coming here with diseases long gone here like TB. I
don't blame them at all for coming here, I would do the same in their position. But we, on
this little island can't save the world.
But in a bad economy with not many jobs even those with a good work ethic are adding to the burden in some ways. And as you say its a small island and that ain't going to change any. The problem too is that people from third world countries see a distorted unrealistic view of countries like the USA and the UK. People there commonly think that all Americans are rich. They see TV, movies, videos and see it a utopia. The way things are going here if I didn't have pets to consider I'd move to some stable cheaper third world country, at least my small pension would go further.

I don't blame people for wanting to improve their plight in life, but its impossible for everyone to immigrate here or to Europe. For the billions we spent on the war we could have helped our own problems and helped others where they are. TB has had a sort of surge here too. The bad thing is one can harbor it for sometime before any signs of it are seen. The leaders there surely should have been able to see the writing on the wall, you have to wonder about their state of mind. I hope it gets better there but I have my doubts.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:14 PM

I got an estimate from one con-tractor, it made me mad and sickened me. The way they charge it's not much different than having the lawyer do the job. He said I had a unique situation, yeah but being cheated and robbed by a con-tractor isn't at all unique. Then most expect half down, so what if ya have a disagreement with them, they got half the money and can just take off leaving the owner poorer and without the job done. Gilligan's Island just keeps looking better and better.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:45 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,503,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
When you think you could pick up this island of Britain, drop it in Texas, then have a struggle
finding it, you can understand the size of the problem we are talking about here. Britain and
Northern Ireland have a population of approx 60 million!! This is growing rapidly with people
coming to live here. Many of these immigrants go on to have large families. I have no problem
with people who come here to work like the polish people. Same with people from India. They have a work ethic, and are good for the country. Others head for here because of the
benefit system. Also we have people coming here with diseases long gone here like TB. I
don't blame them at all for coming here, I would do the same in their position. But we, on
this little island can't save the world.
You'd probably get on like a house on fire with this woman

My Tram Experience - YouTube

She just said what everybody thinks right?

Old 12-06-2011, 06:10 PM

That's a very articulate woman there, guess what word her kid will be parroting soon? Stupid people come in all shades, sad she is breeding. Her poor child is going to get a lovely education from mom. I think the main problem people have is when immigrants are not law abiding productive citizens and add to the problems of crime and the overburdened benefit system from too many immigrating per year. Though it can be their own attitude of non assimilation and not wanting to be apart of their new country that can create dislike among the natives. This woman needs to be yelling at the politicians not some person from the Caribbean.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:02 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,511,939 times
My machine won't let me watch videos people post! But, my son told me something of
what she had to say. The real fears English people have is of becoming a minority in our
own land. Politicians don't help by their statements. I remember before the last election,
one was asked about immigration. Something along the lines of when is enough, enough.
70, 80 million people here? His reply was "I don't have a problem with that." I was shocked.
Leicester, a major city here, recently became under half white, native English. I just feel
worried, something will trigger a race war here. I fear the group of northern towns of which
I live in one, will eventually have no white English people. Not now, but in time. I can see what is happening with my own eyes. These towns, Oldham, Burnley, Bolton, Rochdale,
Bradford, Bury and others, are all next to each other. I can see one day, muslims demanding
an independant state slap bang in the middle of England. Then, there will be a civil war. My
worries are not for me, but for my grand children, who will have to deal with the mess that
politicians have brought on us.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:14 AM

23,530 posts, read 29,486,137 times
I did a 3 week car-rental drive around Great Britain back in 1984 (England, Wales, Scotland) and if I were to repeat that trip today I'd probably be shocked at the changes!

So are all these immigrants infiltrating Wales, Scotland, Ireland, too? They're more restrictive with immigrants?

Old 12-07-2011, 02:09 AM

The changes since 1984 are massive. Most immigrants want to live in England. A few in
Scotland, Wales and Ireland. They tend to head for big cities like Birmingham and London.
A lot in the group of northern english towns I mentioned earlier. Many of the illegal people
from Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan head for large muslim groupings in the northern town I live in,
and ones around me. They find people there who will help them, and just disapear off the
radar. Anyone from anywhere in the EU can come to England and live. If the whole of eastern europe decided they liked the idea of coming to live here they could!! I have seen
eastern european women with babies begging in my town centre. Plus we have African
refugees as well! Nobody in government seem to want to talk about it. Anyone complains and says this is'nt right or fair get the 'racist' line thrown at them. The only people speaking
out are fascist political parties like the BNP, playing on peoples fears.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:53 AM

Poor long term planning no one wants to take responsibility for or deal with the negative out come, that's the typical politician. Do the damage and walk away with the sun on your back, we have had that happen here as well. I've read you are very soft on crime there. I'll have to find this blog by a rural UK cop, it's interesting. Maybe you know of it already. But some of the dumb things, stupid regs they have to deal with, like not being able to change the tire on their own patrol car...they have to wait for a tow truck driver to do it. He seems very frustrated by the courts, the cops at the top, and the politics of it all.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:10 AM

This will be my last entry on this subject. I know this is not a political thread. You are right,
the police have a very difficult job here. They have to be careful not to be accused of
racism. I have a friend who works in the system who explains what happens when someone
claims political asylum. Once they've done this, they get benefits, money, a roof over their
head, access to the NHS etc. They can then send for a partner like a wife while their application is being processed, which takes a long time. They get a lawyer for free to help
them. If successful. they can then send for their families. Can you blame them? I wish I
could go to America and claim political asylum!! The system is there, and they take advantage
of it. The financial cost is massive, to the hard pressed taxpayers of this country. No matter
who we vote for, it continues in the same way.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:12 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,833,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
I read the gap between rich and poor in Norway is greater than it is here in the states.
I'd be interested to know where you read that.

The gap between rich and poor in a country is shown in whats called a GINI coefficient. Low number = less difference between rich and poor. (CIA world Factbook)

Norways got 0,25. America has 0,45, on par with countries like Cameroon, Uganda and Cambodia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics