Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2011, 09:11 PM

5,234 posts, read 8,001,039 times

Advertisements

Now over 500 dead in the Typhoon Sendong in the Philippines and still many missing. My gal got the electric back on, but no water, they are saying maybe the first week of January before the water supply is fixed. The city is afraid of running out of water, at one place where there were long lines to get some water free today, violence erupted. Its so sad for the victims and their families now. I wish I was able to help them all. She has her nephew and nieces there now as their places were pretty well damaged. So they went off to buy water today. I worry about all of this.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:25 PM

23,294 posts, read 29,151,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
Hey gas prices are down by a few cents in my neck of the woods. My vent is why are they not down more???
My vent is the complete opposite! I want gas prices to go up and up! Why are they not going up, rather than down?

Have you also noticed, in the past elections, the prices go down before a presidential election? A coincidence?

Old 12-18-2011, 09:36 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,589,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Now over 500 dead in the Typhoon Sendong in the Philippines and still many missing. My gal got the electric back on, but no water, they are saying maybe the first week of January before the water supply is fixed. The city is afraid of running out of water, at one place where there were long lines to get some water free today, violence erupted. Its so sad for the victims and their families now. I wish I was able to help them all. She has her nephew and nieces there now as their places were pretty well damaged. So they went off to buy water today. I worry about all of this.
I'm glad that your girlfriend and her family are safe. My heart goes out to the victims and their families.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:17 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,932,891 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
I'm glad that your girlfriend and her family are safe. My heart goes out to the victims and their families.
Todd,,, Our thoughts and prayers are with her and so many others there. Such a horrific event to occur and sadly at this time of year.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:29 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,290,264 times
Yes, Todd....good thoughts coming their way.

I think I'm coming down with a cold or something...just in time for Christmas. Bah, humbug!

Old 12-19-2011, 06:00 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,259,819 times
Quote:
That is a worry and so sad the lives were lost. Will add your gal, nephew and nieces to prayers.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:03 PM

Thanks, I appreciate your kind words. So many sad stories, like the couple that lost all 4 of their young children to the typhoon floods. There are close to 700 dead now, most of those on the missing lists have been accounted for. I was wondering about those that had no one, homeless and alone, no one would even be looking for them. There are a good number of homeless people there, even children. And the stray animals, god knows how many perished due to the storm. Yes, its so terrible and near Christmas it makes it even worse.

Today she is going to try and find places that still have water. She couldn't buy much yesterday, they were almost out. I found a few places for her to try from a link on a how to help page. I hope they get the water supply fixed sooner than expected.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:03 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,863,216 times
Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate your kind words. So many sad stories, like the couple that lost all 4 of their young children to the typhoon floods. There are close to 700 dead now, most of those on the missing lists have been accounted for. I was wondering about those that had no one, homeless and alone, no one would even be looking for them. There are a good number of homeless people there, even children. And the stray animals, god knows how many perished due to the storm. Yes, its so terrible and near Christmas it makes it even worse.

Today she is going to try and find places that still have water. She couldn't buy much yesterday, they were almost out. I found a few places for her to try from a link on a how to help page. I hope they get the water supply fixed sooner than expected.
Jeez...this really puts my whining about rejected presents into perspective! I sincerely hope she is able to find what she needs and though I am not spiritual, I am still sending good thoughts to everyone in the region (and I'm off to make a donation that will hopefully help more)

Old 12-19-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:

She told me the count is over 900 now, I guess there are still several hundred that were lost when they had mudslides from the floods. Something interesting, when they had that disaster in Japan, some people were saying you never saw pictures of the dead, I don't remember seeing any. I think that is more respectful to the victims and their families.

Yeah you're right a tragedy puts all the smaller stuff into perspective. They are better off than many there just because the house is ok, and there is electricity. I hope they get the water situation fixed, it makes it so much harder for them all. Thanks PC, for any help you can give.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:27 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,863,216 times
Quote:
She told me the count is over 900 now, I guess there are still several hundred that were lost when they had mudslides from the floods. Something interesting, when they had that disaster in Japan, some people were saying you never saw pictures of the dead, I don't remember seeing any. I think that is more respectful to the victims and their families.

Yeah you're right a tragedy puts all the smaller stuff into perspective. They are better off than many there just because the house is ok, and there is electricity. I hope they get the water situation fixed, it makes it so much harder for them all. Thanks PC, for any help you can give.

Here's a link to a site that lists places to donate for aid:Typhoon Sendong Relief Efforts: How to Help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics