Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 07:01 PM

3,970 posts, read 8,552,855 times

Advertisements

We have some friends who moved from Ohio to Haywards Heath in the UK over 15 years ago. They have been sharing tales of their escapades with us the whole time, you know, the trips to Paris for dinner, Madrid for the school holidays, etc. They talked about he trip to London a year ago to stand in the streets for the Royal Wedding festivities. They weren't sure if they were going up there for the Jubilee, but several of them have been accepted to work as volunteers during the Olympics.

SOMETIME we hope to make it over to visit them, but we haven't been able to yet.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:53 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,486,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Pub??? Did someone say pub???

My favorite is Durty Nelly's in Ireland...right next to Bunratty Castle. I think Dublin.
Pub's in England used to be a lot of fun. Real boozer places. Names like 'The Hangman' or The Miner's Arms. My favourite in Oldham was 'The Cemetery Inn', right next to you know what!! All the pubs had a board, with it's name, and suitable image swinging above the entrance. One pub was called 'Owd Kitt's'. Owd, being slang for old. The image of Kitt was an old lady with glasses. Sometime in the distant past, Kitt was the landlady. She must have been a good one, as the pub was named after her!! Nowadays, pubs aim at the young market, so they are very different places. But, if you look for old fashioned pubs, they are still there. An ample barmaid behind the bar pulling pints, and flirting with the customers.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:54 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,331,093 times
Well, Dave, I"d love to meet you and the Royal Ladies at Owd Kitt's where we could toss back a pint and maybe a wee bit o' fish 'n' chips. Maybe some day..........

Old 06-02-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Well, Dave, I"d love to meet you and the Royal Ladies at Owd Kitt's where we could toss back a pint and maybe a wee bit o' fish 'n' chips. Maybe some day..........
Last time I was in Oldham for my Auntie Ethel's funeral, we drove up past were I lived as a boy, glanced at Hartshead Pike up at the top of a hill. Then drove towards Oldham town center. I noticed Owd Kitt's was still there, her picture outside the pub a little faded, made me smile looking at it. There are still plenty of Chippies left. They have competition these days from pizza's and chinese food take-aways, but many Chippies survive. There is nothing like an old fashioned English pub, with a friendly barmaid pulling pints. They may disappear in time as the older generation die off. The kids like loud music, and shots of this, and goldfish bowls full of that. Plus soccer blaring out at them from a big screen telly. Times they are a changing.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:05 PM

5,234 posts, read 8,027,633 times
Remember when mowers were simple, ya just pulled the cord and off you go. No other handle to have to depress and hold down to start it or keep it going. I replaced a tire on this mower, so I go to start it and that handle ya need to depress to start it is gone. Where the H could it have gone, its just been sitting there. Had it fallen off it would have been right there by the mower. It really makes me wonder.

I'm a sensitive person, I don't like to have people hurt me nor do I hurt others. But I've encountered people lately that have such a chip on their shoulder they are mad for ridiculous reasons. For god sake grow up, if there is some misunderstanding then don't sit and pout about it, be big enough to admit ya overreacted and say you're sorry. I even said I was sorry after being attacked for no logical reason, and still no reply. Unbelievable people.

I've been chasing my lawyer for oh a month or so now, he sends me a one line email after I'd requested he phone me with an update. I don't know how people have a practice that way. Professionalism, respect and courtesy in the business world is just about gone.

I'm really sick of people and sick of being the one to give, care and go out of my way for others. The only ones that appreciate it are the animals. Still my heart feels things deep and there I am again trying to think how I can help.

I'm reading the newspaper in South Africa, story of a mother attempting to murder her just days old baby by putting her in a pit toilet. The baby, named Precious, was rescued and the mother arrested, but bail was set at 500 Rand, which is about 43 dollars. So thats the worth of this sweet childs life, less than 50 bucks? Bail should have been 5 million Rand. Pathetic mother and judge both.
Crying baby rescued from pit toilet | News24

I wonder how many read this far? Thanks to those that did.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:36 PM

I did, Todd.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:25 PM

31,304 posts, read 33,022,335 times
I took the SUV to the carwash yesterday and the guy spent five minutes trying to talk me into buying the extra special special wash & wax. I simply want to wash off the dust and dirt, can I get that done here or do I need to go somewhere else?

Old 06-03-2012, 12:30 AM

5,234 posts, read 8,027,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I took the SUV to the carwash yesterday and the guy spent five minutes trying to talk me into buying the extra special special wash & wax. I simply want to wash off the dust and dirt, can I get that done here or do I need to go somewhere else?
Ya but its extra special special, you'll need sunglasses at night it will shine sooo bright.. Some deal huh. Nothing like a saleman that won't take no for an answer.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:53 AM

The Salesmen/women are so good at what they do in America. They know a sucker when they see one. Judy loves them. Here in England, you can walk round a big store like say Debenhams. Judy loves beauty products, she walks round the make-up counters looking at stuff. The salesgirls leave you alone till you as a question. In America it's very different. Judy only has to glance at a make-up counter, and they pounce. Big smile, head cocked in a friendly manner, "can I help?" Before I know it, we have bought an eight pack of Estee Lauder lipsticks, "a bargain" Judy says, and a box set of perfume, "much cheaper than back home" confirms a pleased Judy. American salespeople give you 100% attention, great service, a pleased customer. I hate to say it, but it's true.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:08 AM

But, at times, it's annoying. The big thing lately seems to be the cashiers greeting customers as they walk thru the doors. "Good morning!" or welcome, or something to that effect. What bothers me most about it is that they should be focusing on the person they're waiting on, not someone walking in. JMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics