Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2012, 12:31 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,160,359 times

Advertisements

So I had a rotten day at work and need to get it off my chest. I work in IT and dealing with the public is not always pleasant but 95% of the time people are generally cordial, a bit frustrated with their technology but know that I am there to help them fix it. Occasionally I get a nutter and today was the day. I had a woman call me up because she herself set up a password code on her system and then forgot what it was. I have zero control on what goes on in someone's mind nor do I have magic powers to somehow retrieve a password that someone set up on their own. Most people I can defuse pretty quickly as I am good with empathy and make people feel that I care but this woman, OMG. She immediately started berating me on how I lack knowledge. Umm ya, its my fault she set up a password and forgot it. The type of password she set up is something only a tech firm might do for security reasons not a regular consumer. For me to address her issue was to change her system that would lose information. Sure I can get her back in but she is gonna lose some stuff. The stuff she wanted to retrieve. Holy moly a complete meltdown. I listened to her scream at me for 20 minutes. When she realized she only had the option I offered she told me to go F myself and that I was a worthless human being. Oh Joy.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:11 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,440,782 times
^^^ That is terrible. I'm glad I don't have to deal with such people. I could never have put up with being spoken to in such a way. I would have been over the counter, and give her a couple of slaps in the mouth. It would probably do her good in the long run. Teach her a lesson.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
^^^ That is terrible. I'm glad I don't have to deal with such people. I could never have put up with being spoken to in such a way. I would have been over the counter, and give her a couple of slaps in the mouth. It would probably do her good in the long run. Teach her a lesson.
Thank goodness I don't deal with anyone in person, its over the phone. I don't have much of a poker face when someone is going off on me. I am a nerd and love technology but I get amazed that people completely put their lives on a machine and don't want to take the time to back up info. There are so many really easy and cheap options to do backups.

So when a failure happens, the loss of data is common. There are actual studies done to understand data loss from a human perspective. The anxiety level is the same as if someone's house burned down. Kind sad, don't ya think? As much as data loss sucks (and I have been there at one point or another) but I do regular backups. All I have to do is think, wow would I be totally devastated if I lost these photos? If the answer is yes, I do a back up. Now imagine all these people walking around with their smartphones, running their businesses off them and their personal lives. Even more opportunity for mishaps. Do people back up their stuff? Nope but turn into 2 yr olds when their blackberry went for a swim. I fear for society. lol.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:17 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,440,782 times
Sorry Fallingwater, I did'nt read your post properly, you said you work in IT. I don't know IT from PT!! But I guess IT is working on the phone. The world is passing me by..... I know here in England, any verbal abuse, and the staff are allowed to cut the customer off. No one should have to put up with it.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Sorry Fallingwater, I did'nt read your post properly, you said you work in IT. I don't know IT from PT!! But I guess IT is working on the phone. The world is passing me by..... I know here in England, any verbal abuse, and the staff are allowed to cut the customer off. No one should have to put up with it.
No worries. IT is kind of blanket term for a variety of things. Basically, fixing computer stuff.

I think I need to move to England.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:18 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,368,152 times
Default Grocery Store Quirkiness

Since this seems to occur more often than not, I was simply wondering how many of you have this happen....often!

So when I am checking out, I get my laundry soap shoved in a bag with the tomatoes and yesterday, my slamon was smooshed by the cat litter box. Seriously??? C'mon. I know these folks are trained on the proper way to bag stuff.

I guess this is more of a rant.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:24 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,338,192 times
Not getting it ur way... if ur know what I mean... not even at Burger King

Old 06-04-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Since this seems to occur more often than not, I was simply wondering how many of you have this happen....often!

So when I am checking out, I get my laundry soap shoved in a bag with the tomatoes and yesterday, my slamon was smooshed by the cat litter box. Seriously??? C'mon. I know these folks are trained on the proper way to bag stuff.

I guess this is more of a rant.
I had this happen today. I got home and the small bag of dog food was nicely placed on top of my loaf of bread. It no longer resembles bread. More like a pancake.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:11 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,038,966 times
Interviews tend to cause anxiety ... This is a good opportunity and I'm no where near prepared for tomorrow's interview ... *sigh* I pray that I can wing it ...

Old 06-04-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Interviews tend to cause anxiety ... This is a good opportunity and I'm no where near prepared for tomorrow's interview ... *sigh* I pray that I can wing it ...
Ugh. I hate interviews. Sending good vibes your way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics