Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2013, 08:05 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,423,023 times

Advertisements

Cancer claims another! Damn it!

Old 03-01-2013, 08:45 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,283,488 times
Aks congrats I knew you'd figure it out eventually with your stick-to-itness.

Pickle it really wrecks the lives of it's victims and their families too. My condolences to you.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:21 PM

31,304 posts, read 33,035,938 times
An inconsiderate driver in the parking lot seems to be the issue for today. If you must drive up so close to my vehicle that it prevents me from leaving and you can’t get around me, then where the h do you think I can go?

I was in the lane first and leaving, can you please allow me that option without your speeding down the lane and preventing me from moving forward? Dumba$$

Old 03-04-2013, 05:52 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,443,271 times
Aks, glad that your computer problelm is solved. I would have had a hammer to it early in the game.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:28 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,107,446 times
*sigh* I've been having a much better morning commute to my 40+ mile job as I carpool with a coworker. She's called on jury duty and I had to take the train today. Tomorrow, I'm being evaluated. I'm nervous enough but don't like the whole stressed feeling I get each time I commute via train ... Plus, I wanted to get there earlier to prepare my space for the evaluation ... At least she isn't on a case yet but she will know tomorrow ... I'm trying to figure out if I should just wake up earlier to get an earlier train, although that commute is worse but I'll get to work earlier ... I dunno and wish I could have a nice commute in my friend's car instead of dealing with the darned train! I hate this whole jury duty stuff which messes with your routine. She doesn't even want to be on a case.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
*sigh* I've been having a much better morning commute to my 40+ mile job as I carpool with a coworker. She's called on jury duty and I had to take the train today. Tomorrow, I'm being evaluated. I'm nervous enough but don't like the whole stressed feeling I get each time I commute via train ... Plus, I wanted to get there earlier to prepare my space for the evaluation ... At least she isn't on a case yet but she will know tomorrow ... I'm trying to figure out if I should just wake up earlier to get an earlier train, although that commute is worse but I'll get to work earlier ... I dunno and wish I could have a nice commute in my friend's car instead of dealing with the darned train! I hate this whole jury duty stuff which messes with your routine. She doesn't even want to be on a case.

So sorry, Chat. Also sorry that my little tale of woe is so long!

The last several months that I was in Atlanta I was called for jury duty, which I hadn't had in over ten years and never in that particular county. I was struggling to keep the car going and called to see if I could at least push it forward a bit. No, absoutely not.

As jury duty time grew closer the car developed more serious problems. I called again and they said I would just have to come on and (to add insult to injury) email them if I broke down on the way. They were just too busy to accept calls on Monday and Tuesday. I asked the lady how on earth I was supposed to email them from the side of the road and she replied, "from your smart phone, of course." I told her that I was one of the long term unemployed and hadn't even had a cell phone for several months. Brightly she replied, "everybody has a cell phone. You'll just have to come on somehow."

The Friday before jury duty week the car started dying in the middle of the road. I couldn't find anyone at the courthouse or anyone over the weekend to do anything. I had to take cabs for three days in the mornings (no transportation with schedules coincided with my times and the location). In the afternoons I got home with a mix of public transportation and people picking me up. Needless to say, I spent more on cabs than the jury duty paid.

I am so thankful I now live where I don't have this problem. My neighbors are wonderful, there are friends close by, and there is public transportation for a backup.

Evaluations are stressful. I'm sure yours will go fine and maybe your friend will be dismissed. I'm pulling for both of you!

Old 03-04-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post

So sorry, Chat. Also sorry that my little tale of woe is so long!

The last several months that I was in Atlanta I was called for jury duty, which I hadn't had in over ten years and never in that particular county. I was struggling to keep the car going and called to see if I could at least push it forward a bit. No, absoutely not.

As jury duty time grew closer the car developed more serious problems. I called again and they said I would just have to come on and (to add insult to injury) email them if I broke down on the way. They were just too busy to accept calls on Monday and Tuesday. I asked the lady how on earth I was supposed to email them from the side of the road and she replied, "from your smart phone, of course." I told her that I was one of the long term unemployed and hadn't even had a cell phone for several months. Brightly she replied, "everybody has a cell phone. You'll just have to come on somehow."

The Friday before jury duty week the car started dying in the middle of the road. I couldn't find anyone at the courthouse or anyone over the weekend to do anything. I had to take cabs for three days in the mornings (no transportation with schedules coincided with my times and the location). In the afternoons I got home with a mix of public transportation and people picking me up. Needless to say, I spent more on cabs than the jury duty paid.

I am so thankful I now live where I don't have this problem. My neighbors are wonderful, there are friends close by, and there is public transportation for a backup.

Evaluations are stressful. I'm sure yours will go fine and maybe your friend will be dismissed. I'm pulling for both of you!
Thanks Antiques ... After I wrote that vent, another coworker called me to ask if I needed a ride from the train station to the office - which would eliminate the need for a cab as I've had it with the lack of bus punctuality (imagine waiting close to an hour after spending 2 hours commuting ) ... That touched my heart and, even though I won't get there as early as I want, it'll all work out.

WOW! I cannot BELIEVE that they would have you go through all that without even compensating you. At least LA County allowed me to switch my location from Compton when I indicated that it would take me three modes of transit to get there. It was a pain but they approved me to report to my city. I ended up not having to go in for jury duty so I pray that they leave me alone for a while.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:48 PM

Default A

I hope they leave you alone also and good luck tomorrow.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
My evaluation went well

Old 03-06-2013, 07:26 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,777,407 times
Quote:
My evaluation went well

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics