Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 05:25 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,258,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
I know....I kept trying to convince him to wait till he feels better, but you know men..... At one point, I thought he was going down. Before he brought all this stuff into the house, I kept reminding him that each vanity weighs 275 lbs. They come fully assembled - marble top and sink - and you can't take the top off. He thought they were exaggerating the weight. And he didn't realize how much room all this stuff was going to take. ANd me? I get claustrophobic around clutter..... I'm trying to keep it together.

I think I have to go and ask the administrators for a new icon - one of me slapping hubby up 'side of his head.
Quote:
DK, that's exactly what I needed. THanks! He did a bunch of lifting and he tore apart the wooden pallets from yesterday's deliveries and now he's paying for it. I finally read him the riot act and asked if he's ready now to rest those arms and let them heal. I tell ya....
The thing about men, God bless them, is the way they will lift things because using an alternative method might make them look like a sissy. Did he have anyone helping? Even with a second person assisting, a 275lb piece is a tough one. When my washer/dryer were delivered, I watched the two guys do something I've never seen before. I guess the word for it is truss. It was wide bands, all one piece, that the guys put on like a halter and the middle piece slipped underneath the unit. Up the steps and in they came, easy breezy.

But back to sissy stuff. I often move heavy things around all by myself. To move stuff around on carpet, I was slipping those slider thingys underneath and that makes it so easy to push or pull. Now that all the carpet is gone (major relief!), I slip a blanket or pad underneath the item to safely slide things across the hardwood. The last few months I've had one of those tools that make it easy to lift a corner of very heavy furniture. It's so simple and I wish I had invented it. But before I got one, I would lift those corners by hand being sure to push with my legs and very happy that my legs are still capable of doing that. But the guys won't do sissy stuff like that. It's always heave ho!

Sure hope your DH gets better fast taking it easy and lots of rubdowns with Arnica or whatever works for tendonitis.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:15 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,926,762 times
Here we’ve had another beautiful week of warmth and sunshine. However today it rained off and on, more on the on side however and at times it came down very hard. I’m not upset because of the rain, we need it and surely can use it here in the desert.

However,,,,, for months now we’ve planned on replacing the furnace unit at the house. Not because the old original one isn’t working, but because we can buy one of the last years closeouts at a bargain price. If we see the home it will help the buyer to know that it’s been updated, if we continue to live here, we will enjoy knowing that this new unit is efficient and works well. It’s a split unit for both heat and a/c.

So “today” it rains! The warehouse delivers the boxed unit on the back of their delivery truck without wrapping it in plastic to protect it from the rain. Yeah,,, the delivery truck is not enclosed so everything gets wet.

The service technician will arrive tomorrow to install the new unit that arrived. I hope he brings his own sponges and mops.

Life will be ok I’m sure after he checks things out, and I don’t think the rain caused any damage to the unit. However I’m disappointed in that the warehouse employees and the driver didn’t have $1.oo worth of plastic to wrap around the large box before they put it onto the “open” truck. Go to the dollar store and buy a piece of plastic!

Old 03-08-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Ooo, Chat...good luck w/the eye.

DK, that's exactly what I needed. THanks! He did a bunch of lifting and he tore apart the wooden pallets from yesterday's deliveries and now he's paying for it. I finally read him the riot act and asked if he's ready now to rest those arms and let them heal. I tell ya....
Yeah,,, I know how he feels and I understand why he did what he did. Things happen and guys will be guys most of the time. Interestingly ,,,, this might be a blessing in disguise. Have you thought about contracting someone else to do the install? DH could monitor and supervise the work making sure it's done just like he wants it to be, the job is completed and out of the way, and hubby can get back to better health and not have any physical issues or pain.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:30 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,049,808 times
So I'm inputting my info to get a feel for how my tax situation looks and (sigh) I guess I will wind up paying for 2011 taxes 5200 counting both federal and state On the brighter side of things ... I made more money than I did last year where I only owed 4K

Old 03-09-2013, 07:46 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,287,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Yeah,,, I know how he feels and I understand why he did what he did. Things happen and guys will be guys most of the time. Interestingly ,,,, this might be a blessing in disguise. Have you thought about contracting someone else to do the install? DH could monitor and supervise the work making sure it's done just like he wants it to be, the job is completed and out of the way, and hubby can get back to better health and not have any physical issues or pain.
Oh, no! What is this heresy of which you speak??? Contract it out??? Oh, I think not. The last time we let someone else work in our house was when they put in the new kitchen cupboards. He's still finding fault with how they did it. I just have to put on my big girl panties and live with the clutter till it's gone. Say, anyone need company for a month or so??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
So I'm inputting my info to get a feel for how my tax situation looks and (sigh) I guess I will wind up paying for 2011 taxes 5200 counting both federal and state On the brighter side of things ... I made more money than I did last year where I only owed 4K
OMG, Chatt....do you have taxes taken out of your paycheck? Time to rethink that, I'd say. I feel your pain, lady. So sorry to hear that.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:00 AM

^^^
There are things around the house that I know I should do, and there are things that I know I shouldn’t do. And the important part of home projects is to know the difference. lol

Old 03-09-2013, 08:32 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,287,101 times
Fortunately (or maybe it should be Unfortunately?) hubby can do almost all of it. HIs dad taught industrial arts in high school and also did handyman stuff, so DH learned from the best. The only thing is, his time table doesn't always match mine. I need to be more patient, I think.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:03 AM

Well then "you" need to be more patient and allow him to take his time to do it right!

Old 03-09-2013, 10:24 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,049,808 times
Quote:
OMG, Chatt....do you have taxes taken out of your paycheck? Time to rethink that, I'd say. I feel your pain, lady. So sorry to hear that.
Yes but the issue is that I worked four different jobs and because I only earned 3K at two of them, hardly no federal taxes were taken out and zero state taxes ... I've been dealing with this mess every year since I've been doing adjunct counseling at the various colleges and not sure how to correct this ... I may just have to have them take out additional money out of my check each month so maybe my tax liability would not be so great. Sheesh! Guess it's good that I earned so much last year and have savings that can cover this but golly gee ... The government is ever so greedy
Quote:
I had to take the day off from work as my eye irritation could be pink eye. I'm going to see the doctor later this morning to see if it is pink eye. I pray it isn't or that it clears up fast ... I'd rather be at work serving students
I have pink eye but seems to be healing up Glad this happened right before the weekend so I can be back up and running for work next week.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:59 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,717,936 times
Quote:
Yes but the issue is that I worked four different jobs and because I only earned 3K at two of them, hardly no federal taxes were taken out and zero state taxes ... I've been dealing with this mess every year since I've been doing adjunct counseling at the various colleges and not sure how to correct this ... I may just have to have them take out additional money out of my check each month so maybe my tax liability would not be so great. Sheesh! Guess it's good that I earned so much last year and have savings that can cover this but golly gee ... The government is ever so greedy

I have pink eye but seems to be healing up Glad this happened right before the weekend so I can be back up and running for work next week.
Glad you are healing but sorry to hear you owe on your taxes. Yes, the government is greedy and the little man always pays more and more for their greediness which stinks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics