Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2011, 08:46 PM

23,544 posts, read 29,503,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
We have the same thing here with drug arrests. The TV News had some guy on the
other night boasting about 8 members of a family jailed for selling drugs in Manchester.
The next item was about people in the same area fighting to fill the void caused by this
families jailing!! It is a total waste of time, money and effort. These government agencies
all over the world have maassive taxpayer funded budgets fighting drugs. It reminds me in
many ways of the fight against alcohol supply in America in the 20s. All that happened was
criminals got rich. Same thing now, but with drugs. It's a dirty business, but common sense
says people demand these drugs, and criminals supply. It should be controlled by governments, taxed, and made sure the drugs are good quality and not mixed with the stuff
used now. Agenc
I thought England had more sense than we did, good to know this madness is everywhere!

Where there's money to squander................................

Being I have an accounting background, and given our stretched-to-the-max government budgets, and aware of the price tag on prisons, to the tune of $50k a year, when I read, long ago, that prison costs will eventually bankrupt our governments, that only adds to my anger and frustration!

Do our "heroic" police officers ever think that every rinky-dink drug arrest, prison sentence, undermines their job security as there is only so much $ to go around. And when they start laying of police officers, due to budget cuts, then they wonder: Why! Why! Why!

Old 12-04-2011, 01:06 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,515,277 times
Things re steadily getting worse here in England. I live in a very quiet area, nothing much
happens. Yet, in the last three months two houses in my neighbourhood have been raided
by police. Both were full of hashish plants. All the gear, fans, lights, and of course lots of
the plants. The other day some guy near here had six policemen arresting him. They were
all over his car taking finger prints. Turns out he is the local drugs supplier. He lives very
quietly, I had no idea!! Things are different here in the way there arn't any big shoot outs.
No guns or anything like that. But, this sort of thing is going on all the time, all over the
country. Some people say keep fighting it, keep spending billions doing so. I would agree if
the authorities were winning - they're not.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:12 PM

52,792 posts, read 53,363,015 times
Quote:
Things re steadily getting worse here in England. I live in a very quiet area, nothing much
happens. Yet, in the last three months two houses in my neighbourhood have been raided
by police. Both were full of hashish plants. All the gear, fans, lights, and of course lots of
the plants. The other day some guy near here had six policemen arresting him. They were
all over his car taking finger prints. Turns out he is the local drugs supplier. He lives very
quietly, I had no idea!! Things are different here in the way there arn't any big shoot outs.
No guns or anything like that. But, this sort of thing is going on all the time, all over the
country. Some people say keep fighting it, keep spending billions doing so. I would agree if
IDK what the right answer is anymore, here we spend billions of dollars, spend so much energy trying to control drugs and the drug war just seems to be completely and utterly lost.

I don't know what the answer is, clog up our jail system, spend time and money chasing down issues that have been at the core of mans ills since the dawn of time. Same argument goes with prostitution, they call it the worlds oldest profession for a reason.... It has been here forever and probably will never go away completely. As long as there are people willing to exchange money for services.

Give up and decriminalize it, or keep slamming our heads against the brick wall???

I'm sick and tired of it, I could vent a lot more.

I'm thinking lets spend a fraction of the money used to fight it, and use that towards rehab or prevention.

Seems like a shift in course might be the right action. The plane has flown into the mountain already.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:39 PM

31,304 posts, read 33,104,037 times
Lightbulb .

Capitalism without consumers is out of business!

Remove the profit from some “drugs” by making it legal & TAX it. Criminals are out of business.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:37 PM

31,304 posts, read 33,104,037 times
While baking my chicken potpie this evening I managed to burn the tip of my little finger on it as I was taking it out of the oven. The pain went away after five minutes or so, but the blister is now starting to be a little sore. Life isn’t so good with a blister,,,,,,,

Old 12-04-2011, 09:10 PM

23,544 posts, read 29,503,467 times
Quote:
Things re steadily getting worse here in England. Some people say keep fighting it, keep spending billions doing so. I would agree if
I've been reading about the harsh austerity measures being placed on the British people, via the news, the protests, strikes, and this sheds some light on this subject.

But when the $ runs out, it runs out, which can be a blessing in disguise!

Back in the early 80's, when Texas was experiencing a severe budget crush, they had to release 1000's from their prisons!

I read a shocking statistic reporting 1/3 of our prisoners today are in for drug charges. Meanwhile, our infrastructure is falling apart, and perhaps one day, when some prison guard is traveling home from work, he crosses a bridge, in much-need repair, that goes crashing into the river!

Old 12-05-2011, 01:30 AM

You're right there Tijlover, we're in a mess over here!! Yet, some things seem to be sacred
cows. The expensive fight against drugs being one. I truly don't understand it. People find
many ways to ruin their lives, drugs being only one. Human beings are weak creatures. But,
this fight to stop people taking drugs has taken on a life of it's own. So many agencies around the world with their vast budgets trying to stop drugs, the suppliers, and consumers.
I have also read about one in three people in American jails are there in some way to do with
drugs. I should think it's a similar story here. We all have better things to do with the money.
These are hard times and we've got to be realistic.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:10 AM

3,970 posts, read 8,570,087 times
I'm sure the local family of the father and little girl who were recently killed by the "gentleman" who was so spaced out on drugs that he had no idea he entered the expressway going the wrong direction and hit them head-on will agree 100% with you that since so many people are doing drugs that we should just make it legal and go on with our lives so we can save some money.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:47 AM

^^^ I understand exactly what you are saying, such things are terrible. But, the same sort
of thing happens with drunk drivers, but we don't say ban alcohol. If drugs were legalised
and taxed, instead of wasting billions fighting them, we'd have more money to tey to help
addicts, and control the supply. This is a massive problem, but the way it is being tackled now, is very expensive, and is'nt working.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:43 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,416,438 times
People who think they should get a freaking reward for doing the shiddd they supposed to do...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics