Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 04:37 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,435,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyg View Post
jdljr:

I just got back from my 2nd eligibility review within a little over a month's time. I was unable to get to talk to anyone today, so it's a bit frustrating (too many people also had questions for the 1 person at the review, so I thought I'd try asking here before I tried to call in with this question).

I've been contemplating going out of state to look for jobs, but now I'm worried that I might get called in again if I go out of town. I won't be moving & my address will not change (unless/until I secure a job). I'm confused about whether I can still collect NC UI while I am in a different state(s) for at least a few weeks or more. I am really hoping that I can!

What is the proper course of action in this situation? I feel stuck staying here & not trying elsewhere (physically) but I don't want to mess up my benefits in doing so. And I don't want to be out of state & be faced with a hefty plane ticket to fly in for another review on short notice. If I do this, I want to do it the right way so there aren't any surprises/difficulties.

Any insight would be immensely appreciated! Thank you so much for your help in advance & for all the other information you've given within this thread. You've been an invaluable resource & a lifesaver!!
Tyg,

If you're receiving EB, then the reviews should happen every 4-6 weeks. You would definitely need to show up for the reviews or they will stop your benefits and then it's only a decision in Raleigh by the Adjudication Unit that MAY allow your claim to be restarted again.

As far as searching for work out of state, I don't believe you are limited to searching for work in NC to be allowed to collect NC Unemployment. You just have to make sure you're able and available for work, seeking work and keeping a record of your work search as directed by the Commission. Should you, at some point, change your address and reside out of NC while collecting NC Unemployment, you would need to contact the interstate unit and notify them of this so they could change your claim to an interstate claim. Then, I believe, your reviews could be handled by mail or something other than in person since you would no longer reside in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 05:23 PM

656 posts, read 1,139,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
The only thing I'm confused about, is that if you just filed your last week of your 2nd benefit year, that would mean that that claim is done and you need to open a new benefit year. If you meant that you just filed your last week of your regular UI in your 2nd benefit year, then yes, hopefully the pull forward would happen for you rather quickly.

The extra "14th week" of Tier 2 is paid separately from Tier 3, as a standalone week. And, in fact, it's paid AFTER Tier 3.
Wow, I just learned something new
Thanks for filling us in
I had always thought the extra week came before tier 3

Old 04-26-2010, 06:08 PM

407 posts, read 660,705 times
Quote:
The only thing I'm confused about, is that if you just filed your last week of your 2nd benefit year, that would mean that that claim is done and you need to open a new benefit year. If you meant that you just filed your last week of your regular UI in your 2nd benefit year, then yes, hopefully the pull forward would happen for you rather quickly.

The extra "14th week" of Tier 2 is paid separately from Tier 3, as a standalone week. And, in fact, it's paid AFTER Tier 3.

YES i meant to say i filed my 13th and final week of UI in my 2nd year.... my actual "year" runs until jan 2011
but ive exhausted my 13 weeks of UI

Old 04-26-2010, 08:24 PM
tyg

16 posts, read 75,192 times
Quote:
Tyg,

If you're receiving EB, then the reviews should happen every 4-6 weeks. You would definitely need to show up for the reviews or they will stop your benefits and then it's only a decision in Raleigh by the Adjudication Unit that MAY allow your claim to be restarted again.

As far as searching for work out of state, I don't believe you are limited to searching for work in NC to be allowed to collect NC Unemployment. You just have to make sure you're able and available for work, seeking work and keeping a record of your work search as directed by the Commission. Should you, at some point, change your address and reside out of NC while collecting NC Unemployment, you would need to contact the interstate unit and notify them of this so they could change your claim to an interstate claim. Then, I believe, your reviews could be handled by mail or something other than in person since you would no longer reside in NC.
Hi jdljr,

Thanks so much for your response. I didn't realize that EB has reviews every 4-6 weeks, so that's good to know. I've been searching for work out of state as well, long distance, but I haven't been getting many responses. I was thinking if I was local even on a temporary basis, maybe I'd get more interest.

I may look into doing an interstate claim, as that seems the better way to go for my situation based on the regular reviews. Are interstate claims reversible? (as in, if I don't find something & move back will they drop the interstate part?)

Thanks again for all your help!! Cheers

Old 04-26-2010, 08:49 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,435,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyg View Post
Hi jdljr,

Thanks so much for your response. I didn't realize that EB has reviews every 4-6 weeks, so that's good to know. I've been searching for work out of state as well, long distance, but I haven't been getting many responses. I was thinking if I was local even on a temporary basis, maybe I'd get more interest.

I may look into doing an interstate claim, as that seems the better way to go for my situation based on the regular reviews. Are interstate claims reversible? (as in, if I don't find something & move back will they drop the interstate part?)

Thanks again for all your help!! Cheers
I don't know for sure, but I would think that if you moved out of NC and had an interstate claim, then if you moved back into NC your claim would go back to a regular NC claim.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:11 PM
tyg

16 posts, read 75,192 times
Quote:
I don't know for sure, but I would think that if you moved out of NC and had an interstate claim, then if you moved back into NC your claim would go back to a regular NC claim.
I hope that is the case, as it makes sense. That definitely helps in my decision. Thanks again for your replies & have a great week!

Old 04-26-2010, 11:58 PM

776 posts, read 1,683,925 times
Welppirs...I was officially pulled forward...I received payment this week under Tier 2 EUC. Whew!

It's for the correct amount, though again, my online benefit payment history is about $46 less than what I was paid. Also, I'm still listed as "Unknown" status...I don't know if and when that will ever be corrected.

But again...if you're in need of a pull forward...it doesn't hurt to call, but don't be afraid to send an e-mail to their customer service. This is the third issue I've filed thru e-mail (to the customer service email address) and I've had some sort of resolution on the second day after sending the e-mail.

If you don't want to call...then don't. File for your final week of regular UI on Sunday or Monday, whatever. Send the e-mail out on Monday or Tuesday. And if nothing changes by Thursday or Friday. Then call.

I might have just gotten lucky...or they again, answered my e-mail. It's a heckuvalot easier than tying their phone lines and getting frustrated.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 04-27-2010, 08:03 AM

23 posts, read 101,170 times
Quick question- I am on my second benefit year that ends 6/12/10. I just received my first EB payment and the monetary determination works out to 10 1/2 weeks. If I am still unemployed when my benefit year ends and can't open a new (3rd) BY because I haven't worked, will I be able to collect the whole EB weeks... or does that money disappear after june 12? The 10 1/2 weeks will expire on June26th. This is my first time on EB. Any information is appreciated! Thanks.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:21 AM

656 posts, read 1,139,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
Welppirs...I was officially pulled forward...I received payment this week under Tier 2 EUC. Whew!

It's for the correct amount, though again, my online benefit payment history is about $46 less than what I was paid. Also, I'm still listed as "Unknown" status...I don't know if and when that will ever be corrected.

But again...if you're in need of a pull forward...it doesn't hurt to call, but don't be afraid to send an e-mail to their customer service. This is the third issue I've filed thru e-mail (to the customer service email address) and I've had some sort of resolution on the second day after sending the e-mail.

If you don't want to call...then don't. File for your final week of regular UI on Sunday or Monday, whatever. Send the e-mail out on Monday or Tuesday. And if nothing changes by Thursday or Friday. Then call.

I might have just gotten lucky...or they again, answered my e-mail. It's a heckuvalot easier than tying their phone lines and getting frustrated.

GOOD LUCK!!!
woo-hoo> CeLeBrAtE!!
Time sure flies when collecting benefits., just seems like yesterday/Feb we were talking about you posting here in the future when you recieved your pullforward
Well Congrats Frrrunkis!
I hope you have newfound success job hunting now while you can relax a little bit more and collect your benefits

I'm hoping and praying mine transitions as easily as yours.... my only hitch will be the deadline in May as my UI comes to an end
We'll see

Old 04-27-2010, 10:04 AM

776 posts, read 1,683,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
woo-hoo> CeLeBrAtE!!
Time sure flies when collecting benefits., just seems like yesterday/Feb we were talking about you posting here in the future when you recieved your pullforward
Well Congrats Frrrunkis!
I hope you have newfound success job hunting now while you can relax a little bit more and collect your benefits

I'm hoping and praying mine transitions as easily as yours.... my only hitch will be the deadline in May as my UI comes to an end
We'll see
Yes...it's a relief! I'm actually getting ready to call that young couple from Indonesia back and tell them I'm not going to sell them my 2 year old for $10K.

Juuuuust kidding.

Bottom line is, it's nice to know I'm in good shape at least until Tier 2 runs out in late June. It should be easier to roll into Tier 3, but ya never know. But the bottom line is, I'd rather have a job again instead of more benefits. This is getting just silly. I've had anxiety issues ever since I got laid off...it's completely draining. But my time will come...hopefully sooner rather than later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina