Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 02:58 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,443,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhamm View Post
Wow, is it possible that I know more than the rep on the extended benefits call line? She just told me that when my tier3 (in 2nd benefit year) runs out I can move to tier 4 even if it is after Feb. 28th!! She said the deadline doesn't matter in "my situation." Do I roll the dice and see if I keep getting benefits after 3 more weeks or do I call back and speak with someone else? She also told me not to pay attention to these forums! I've gotten a lot of useful (and correct) information here, especially from jdljr!
Well my interpretation is that you have to exhaust whatever tier you're in by Feb 28th in order to be eligible for the next higher tier. I have it in black and white in a memo. But maybe others interpret it differently, OR, they're assuming the Feb 28th date will be extended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 07:19 AM

28 posts, read 68,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
No, not yet. That's something legislated by the federal government and I haven't heard much about it recently in the news either.

My benefits have been exhausted since December 30, February18,I went oN ESC website and tried to file weekly certification and a message came up for me to file a another claim because it had been 4 weeks since my last certification. I filed a new claim and it is saying that they have my claim on file. Will this allow me to get week 14 now?

Old 02-20-2010, 09:43 AM

6 posts, read 23,468 times
Here's my scenario if anyone can shed any light:

I exhausted my first benefit year and Teir one of EUC08 for my benefit year 1/09-1/10. Due to some sporadic part-time work I was able to stretch the benefits of the regular claim + Tier one through the last week of my first benefit year without having to use Tier 2 of EUC08. At that time I had to start a second benefit year that began in 1/10 and is for 18 weeks.

My question is:

Since I exhausted Tier 1 prior to 2/27/10, will I be eligible for Tier 2 when my 18 weeks of regular benefits in the 2nd year claim is exhausted.

If so, is the last week that EUC08 is payable still 7/31/10? And if that is extended would I be eligible for the next two Tiers if I haven't found new employment by that time?

If not, will I be eligible for NC EB and how is the length of duration of EB benefits calculated.

Thank you for any answers to these questions.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by member2009 View Post
JDLJR is an example of what NCESC should be. responsible and people oriented. unfortunately, most of the people there are not like that. And it makes NCESC a joke. Thank you JDLJR for all your help.
to add, if your benefits still say exhausted (if you exhausted you tier 3), go online and file for that additional 14th week. it will let you file and you will get paid. don't look at your claim profile, just file.
I did file on 2-18-2010. I rececived a message on ESC FRONT page in red writing stating that they received my claim and it is in their files,How long will it take me to be paid week 14. I still cant do a weekly certifacation though.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:13 PM

86 posts, read 174,546 times
greenpoochie i got paid the next day to my card.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:29 PM

3 posts, read 6,401 times
I'm a new user here and I've read the last 5 pages or so of this forum. Seems very active. However, I have some questions. I apologize if they've already been posted and I didn't read them.

I started receiving unemployment benefits back in October 2008. I've done everything the ESC office told me to and I've been looking for a job and going to school.

I have three questions.

1.) What are the rules about going to school and receiving unemployment benefits? I'm still looking, able, and willing (wanting) to get a job.

2.) I received a letter today saying that I'm monetarily ineligible to Emergency Unemployment Compensation due to insufficient base period wages. Continuing on by saying that I did not meet the minimum requirements of 20 weeks of full-time insured employment. I worked at the same job for 4 years and 11 months. I stopped working in September of 2008. Am I all of a sudden ineligible for unemployment? I just received this letter today, a little forewarning on this would've been nice.

3.) With all things held equal, if I were still receiving unemployment, could I move to another state? If I did, would I have to transfer my benefits, or would I still receive North Carolina benefits? How does that work? I would like to try to find work in another state, since I'm not having any luck here.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by member2009 View Post
greenpoochie i got paid the next day to my card.

Did you also exhaust Tier3 benefits and your claim stated that your benefits were exhausted for 2009-2010.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpoochie View Post
My benefits have been exhausted since December 30, February18,I went oN ESC website and tried to file weekly certification and a message came up for me to file a another claim because it had been 4 weeks since my last certification. I filed a new claim and it is saying that they have my claim on file. Will this allow me to get week 14 now?
It should, I believe, if nothing else has changed with your status (last employer).

Old 02-21-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml2007 View Post
Here's my scenario if anyone can shed any light:

I exhausted my first benefit year and Teir one of EUC08 for my benefit year 1/09-1/10. Due to some sporadic part-time work I was able to stretch the benefits of the regular claim + Tier one through the last week of my first benefit year without having to use Tier 2 of EUC08. At that time I had to start a second benefit year that began in 1/10 and is for 18 weeks.

My question is:

Since I exhausted Tier 1 prior to 2/27/10, will I be eligible for Tier 2 when my 18 weeks of regular benefits in the 2nd year claim is exhausted.

If so, is the last week that EUC08 is payable still 7/31/10? And if that is extended would I be eligible for the next two Tiers if I haven't found new employment by that time?

If not, will I be eligible for NC EB and how is the length of duration of EB benefits calculated.

Thank you for any answers to these questions.
Not sure. Since you began a brand new, regular UI claim technically yours would be a "pull forward" if you don't qualify for new extensions on your new benefit year. If you DO qualify for new extensions on your new benefit year the Feb 28th date (as of this moment) still applies. You must begin your first tier by then to be eligible for it. I'm not sure how the "pull forwards" of EUC relate to the Feb 28th date. And yes, the last payable week of EUC is still 7/31/10 which is still connected to the 2/28/20 date.

Not sure about EB eligibility, I believe they have their own phase-out dates. EB is 80% of your original claim duration, just like Tier 1.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpoochie View Post
I did file on 2-18-2010. I rececived a message on ESC FRONT page in red writing stating that they received my claim and it is in their files,How long will it take me to be paid week 14. I still cant do a weekly certifacation though.
You didn't begin a new benefit year, just reopened your claim. I'm not entirely sure (as ALL of my dealings are with doing things in person, not on our website).

I know this is easier said than done for many, but calling someone or visiting a local office can reduce the time it takes for some transactions. It can also answer a lot of your questions right then and there. I would contact someone tomorrow to ask the status and to make sure nothing is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina