Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 07:15 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,439,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlegate View Post
jdljr

Thank you! And I filed my claim in August 2009 (althought it didnt begin until Sept 2009 because of severance) so my base period would not include second or third quarter 2009? correct?

Thank you again...I am hoping I have a job offer coming tomorrow but I still feel better knowing I should be eligible for extenstion if needed.
Yes, that is correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 07:22 PM

4 posts, read 9,129 times
Thank you again...its really great that you are here for help...

Old 02-22-2010, 09:40 AM

2 posts, read 4,181 times
Default Pull Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
You need to contact someone because they temporarily stopped the pull forwards to complete the 14th week programming. But now that that's done, they'll be working on the Tier 4. But I'd think they'd resume the pull forwards until they're ready to implement the Tier 4. Someone would be able to let you know what's going on with your claim relative to the message you received. And that way, you'd get your situation in front of someone instead of waiting for it to be discovered.

As long as you've exhausted Tier 2, whether in your previous or current benefit year, you'd be eligible for Tier 3. And yes, they'd pull forward any unused EUC from your previous benefit year if you're not eligible for EUC in your new benefit year.

I spoke with someone today and they told me the programing to implement pull forwards for TIER 3 was being worked on and to keep filing and when it was implemented it would deposit the money in one lump sum. Does that sound right to you? Thanks.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:42 AM

2 posts, read 4,068 times
Smile re-opening claim

Hi JDLJR,

First, I'd like to say thank you for all your patience and due diligence and your vast knowledge of the NC system which is very commendable. Your presence here has helped many of us to withstand the pressures of this period of high unemployment. Thanks again! This will be my first question. I have received all of Tier 3 and is awaiting Tier 4 implementation. However, I am not clear on the 14th week. I have followed you diligently and only decided to call upon your advice to others in my same situation. When I called today they said that I have a half of week balance from Tier 2 that they need to release. They implied that it was stopped when they started work on the "pull fowards". Being that I have been following your analysis thus far, I was somewhat aware of what they were saying. Is this the 14th week or something else entirely? And strangely, they can't seem to re-open my claim. Can you tell me what they should be doing to get everything restarted. The rep says she could only go back to week ending 2-7-2010. This confused me for I thought they needed to bring my weekly status up to date to be in line for Tier 4. My benefits status was exhausted as of 12-30-2009. I need your wisdom to make this clear for me. Ordinary

Last edited by ordinary; 02-22-2010 at 09:55 AM..

Old 02-22-2010, 11:15 AM

19 posts, read 57,772 times
Another question for JD -

I recently relocated out of state. I could not find work in NC no matter what and I lost my house there. I've been here a few weeks and called today about my tier 2. They had to manually release the funds as there is an issue on my file. The issue is I've moved out of state.

The gentleman from NCESC tells me today that my state isn't participating in tier 4 so this payment I get for tier 2 is the last one I'll get. This makes no sense to me. My claim is with NC, not the state I'm temporarily residing in. Could this be accurate?

Please tell me this isn't correct - cause I'm STILL not finding work despite my best efforts!

Old 02-22-2010, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 6,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
A benefit year is a 52-week period of time that elapses from the date you open your claim. Claims are valid for this time period. After that, they end regardless of whether you still have unemployment money left. At that time, you have to open another benefit year. As you confirmed and I expected, you're in your 2nd benefit year.

All claims are based off of a base period. That base period depends on at what point during the year your claim is filed. Base periods change each quarter. Right now the base period is 4Q2008, 1Q2009, 2Q2009 and 3Q2009. When you filed your claim it was something different. It's normally the first four of the last 5 completed calendar quarters, but does not include the current quarter we're in. The base period will change April 4th. At that time, the 4Q2008 will drop off and we'll pick up 4Q2009.

Someone must have at least $4,550 spanning at least two of those quarters in order to be eligible to draw unemployment. You had that, no problem, each of your benefit years as evidenced by the fact that you drew regular UI each time.

To be eligilble for extensions there is another monetary formula you must meet, which I mentioned before...the 1.5x rule. If you're not eligible for extensions in your first benefit year, you're not eligible. If you do get extensions in your first benefit year, but you're not eligible for them in your second benefit year but you still had leftover extension money available in the first benefit year that ended, they'll bring that unused extension money into your second benefit year for you to draw out.

I would recommend you visit your local office and speak with the Vet Rep there. He will be able to provide information about services that may be available to you because you're a Vet.
Well, I spoke to the NCESC person at my local office and they told me that I'm officially off the bottle. As I said earlier, a little forewarning would've been nice. And a little more detail on how everything is calculated. I was under the impression I would have another six months; my brother-in-law was on it for nearly two years. I was on it for a year and fourteen weeks.

Considering I was getting $505 a week, I wasn't about to cut my throat for a job at McDonald's, but at this point that is better than nothing. I would've started applying to places like that a couple of weeks ago if I knew I was coming to the end of my unemployment benefits. This is as irresponsible as an employer abruptly firing someone without warning. But I do appreciate the temporary help I received.

And I especially appreciate your help JDLJR. You seem to be a very knowledgeable and resourceful individual, helping my fellow Americans get the most out of their benefits.

I wish the best to all of you, but I also remind you that the military is a rewarding employment opportunity. I would've stayed in, myself, if my legs weren't so messed up. And 27 months in Iraq does ware on a person pretty quickly, though I think we're doing the right thing by staying there.

To my fellow veterans: Good luck and take advantage of your education benefits. Join IAVA, they are a very resourceful group, one of the few that actually look out for us, in our interest. Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America

-Oakleyguy007 out.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:48 PM

86 posts, read 174,345 times
spoke to somebody at NCESC. the rep said no earlier than April we'll see Tier 4. Horrible.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc194287 View Post
I spoke with someone today and they told me the programing to implement pull forwards for TIER 3 was being worked on and to keep filing and when it was implemented it would deposit the money in one lump sum. Does that sound right to you? Thanks.
That sounds about right. I found out today that they are going to run the pull forward programming once a month. Next time is on/around March 1. So people need to keep filing between each time the program is run, and the system should go back and pay for each week that someone has certified for.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordinary View Post
Hi JDLJR,

First, I'd like to say thank you for all your patience and due diligence and your vast knowledge of the NC system which is very commendable. Your presence here has helped many of us to withstand the pressures of this period of high unemployment. Thanks again! This will be my first question. I have received all of Tier 3 and is awaiting Tier 4 implementation. However, I am not clear on the 14th week. I have followed you diligently and only decided to call upon your advice to others in my same situation. When I called today they said that I have a half of week balance from Tier 2 that they need to release. They implied that it was stopped when they started work on the "pull fowards". Being that I have been following your analysis thus far, I was somewhat aware of what they were saying. Is this the 14th week or something else entirely? And strangely, they can't seem to re-open my claim. Can you tell me what they should be doing to get everything restarted. The rep says she could only go back to week ending 2-7-2010. This confused me for I thought they needed to bring my weekly status up to date to be in line for Tier 4. My benefits status was exhausted as of 12-30-2009. I need your wisdom to make this clear for me. Ordinary
Unfortunately, without looking at your claim I hesitate to say what they need to do to it to get it restarted. I can give information about UI, but when it comes to specific claims, much of the time I would need to look at it. I'm sorry I wasn't much help, but it's too difficult to blindly say what is going on with a claim without looking at it.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangeemct View Post
Another question for JD -

I recently relocated out of state. I could not find work in NC no matter what and I lost my house there. I've been here a few weeks and called today about my tier 2. They had to manually release the funds as there is an issue on my file. The issue is I've moved out of state.

The gentleman from NCESC tells me today that my state isn't participating in tier 4 so this payment I get for tier 2 is the last one I'll get. This makes no sense to me. My claim is with NC, not the state I'm temporarily residing in. Could this be accurate?

Please tell me this isn't correct - cause I'm STILL not finding work despite my best efforts!
He could be right. I will have to check, I don't know offhand, haven't run across that before. Yes, your claim is with NC, but you are no longer in the NC labor market if you're not residing here, either temporarily or otherwise. You are in another state's labor market, registered with that state's employment office (hopefully you are, you need to be) and looking for work in that state, bound by that state's labor market. You're simply getting your UI money each week from NC. But I'll ask and see if someone else in my office is aware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina