Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 04:12 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,437,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastagal View Post
jdljr...most people on here seem to find you to be a wealth of information in regards to NC ESC procedure so I have a question for you...I spoke to a very nice customer service rep who stated that an email was sent out stating that the notices we have all been waiting for, are going to be mailed out starting tomorrow at just 10,000 for this week, another 10,000 next week, 15,000 the following week and so forth. The rep stated that they were not told of any order, alpha or otherwise, nor just HOW they were being selected. At the rate stated, claims chosen to be in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th mailing week, will not see any money until the first week in FEBRUARY! What's going on?? Why is this PUBLIC angency shrouded in so much mystery? Oh and one more thing, is it true that the customer service positons are being outsourced to MEXICO????
I have not heard of the letters going out like that...the email that we got said that letters would be going out in waves (like you're describing) beginning Dec 31, but that all letters would be out by the middle of next week. If something is different, it has not been shared with us.

I also have not heard of the ESC customer service positions being outsourced to Mexico. If you're referring to the debit card customer service positions, they are not ESC employees...they are EPPI Card employees. I did hear something about that many months ago, but not sure if it actually took place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCresident View Post
Agree I have been given the run around also, after being told some 35 to 70,000 letters were to go out on Dec 30th TODAY now I have been told 10,000 tommrow, 10,000 monday, and 10,000 wed and no one in the ESC offices knows whom is eligable? Was told this is handled out of office. How can this be it makes no sense that if you are eligable they cannot see this on there computer after 6 weeks we were told it took to "update the system". JDLJR if you can please clarify why people at ESC offices still as of today do not have any information on who is eligable after 6 weeks now? Thanks this is not a knock on you but the flawed system as I see it in place here.
I wish I knew. Please trust me when I say we are JUST as frustrated as you are. We do not know EXACTLY who is eligible. We are of the belief that if you have exhausted Tier 1 and Tier 2 EUC, then you would be eligible for Tier 3 EUC. If you're currently receiving EB, then you would be taken off EB and transitioned over to EUC Tier 3 until it runs out, then continue on with your EB.

In the meantime, it's just the EUC Tier 3 portion of the new extension that is in place right now. They have not yet completed the programming for adding the additional week to Tier 2 EUC, and they have not yet completed programming for the Tier 4 EUC. Those are still in the works.

We do know that the effective date of the Tier 3 EUC will be 11/08/09 or later. If you exhausted your Tier 1 and Tier 2 EUC before that, your Tier 3 EUC will not be effective back to the date you exhausted your Tier 2 EUC - 11/08/09 is as far back as the Tier 3 EUC goes.

The recent extensions look like this:

1 week added to Tier 2 EUC
up to 13 weeks of EUC (Tier 3) (for all states)
up to an additional 6 weeks of EUC (Tier 4) for states with unemployment rates of 8.5% or higher.

Also please trust me when I say that we are doing our best (at least in our office) to try and understand everything and get the correct information out. There are SO MANY layers of benefits that have never been out there before, so many intricacies. Certainly there may be issues or problems arise that any program testing did not encounter. I know people have had an abundance of patience up to now, and starting tomorrow we can file for Tier 3 for people (PROVIDED the upload of the new programming works tonight!).

Old 12-30-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCresident View Post
Also having spoken with many very pleasent operator's at ESC over the last 5 weeks the 2 today that gave me the information stated above were very short and seemed to be in bad mood's. Well sorry you are stressed, we are also, many including myself facing eviction and piles of overdue bill's and no relief by way of job's and either No information or Mis information by ESC officials. The bill was signed on Nov 6th and by my count contrary to the ESC count this friday makes 8 WEEKS not 6 and still nothing. Many states have released funds weeks ago.
I don't believe that ESC ever stated that it would be 6 weeks from when the bill was signed. They stated it would be 6 weeks from November 18th - the date which the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT gave direction to the states for the extensions. Between Nov 6th and Nov 18th, the states hadn't been given the specifics from the feds.

I don't know why it took ESC the time it did to get it in place. The system is old (DECADES OLD) and was never designed to handle the volume it's handling. Picture a dam that springs a leak. You put a piece of bubble gum over the leak to stop it, but that causes another leak to spring. I don't know if ESC has any plans to revamp the system...that would take money, you know, and people/employers wouldn't want their taxes raised to pay for updated technology.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:48 PM

64 posts, read 168,361 times
Thanks for all the updates!

Old 12-30-2009, 05:10 PM

37 posts, read 97,435 times
Jdljr thanks for all your work and info that you have helped us with. Question..... Didn't all the states receive money from the stimulus package for updating the computer systems. I am almost sure I read several months ago that the update of esc computers was part of the package.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:41 PM

9 posts, read 19,914 times
Thanks jdljr , for your time and your reply. Hope the next few days brings relief to many who are in desperate need at these times. As stated before was not a knock on you, just very frustrated at how long our state in comparison to others have taken to allocate funds. I would think that the federal funding allocated to the state of North Carolina has been placed in an interest bearing accounts and one would hope that the skim will be used to offset costs of updating the systems in a perfect world.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:48 PM

28 posts, read 67,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Unfortunately, we haven't really officially been given word on WHO is going to be eligible. At some point I would think there would be a limit to the "reachback" date on eligibility. In other words, when the President signed the Tier III extension, does it apply to claims that exhausted benefits on or after (or on or before) a certain date? As far as I know, we haven't been told. We know that 70,000 people have been identified as potentially eligible...but what made them eligible? At this point I don't know. Hopefully soon we'll find out.

jdljr - Thanks for all your help and knowledge. Are you an employee of the NC Employment Security Commission. You are so knowlegable.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:53 PM

86 posts, read 174,274 times
jdljr - thanks for all the updates. you said something before about not filing online. am i better off waiting for the letter, than trying to file the weekly certification online. starting tomorrow if the system works properly, should i just wait for the letter? i don't want to miss the "back weeks".
thanks

Old 12-30-2009, 07:45 PM

9 posts, read 19,914 times
The new statement on ESC website as of 9:44pm est.........ESC will mail notices, beginning on December 31, 2009, that include instructions for filing a tier 3 unemployment insurance claim to those individuals who are potentially eligible to receive benefits under this program. To ensure prompt and proper payment, please follow the instructions provided in the notice. A customer service representative will expedite your claim.

For the tier 3 extension program, filing online or by Interactive Voice Response will result in errors and/or delays

Old 12-30-2009, 07:52 PM

64 posts, read 168,361 times
And people are hearing similar things when they call in, about not trying to apply online or via the phone but wait for your letters. Given the problems people have experienced in other states when trying to circumvent the system and not listen to what they've been instructed to do by ESC I would advise to just wait until the letter comes and follow the instructions.

Just my thoughts though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina