Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2010, 12:52 PM

10 posts, read 21,669 times

Advertisements

I have a question. I just recieved 3 letters from NCESC. The first 2 said the exact same thing, I am entitled to Second Tier EUC, and then it lists one week pay for the amount. The last letter however stated that I'm eligible for second Tier and listed 14 weeks worth of amounts. I'm confused, because last week I got paid that one week due from tier 3 or tier 2 I think. Now, I thought we were just waiting for Tier 4, which is only 6 more weeks of amounts. I'm so confused, because I had already receieved the 13 weeks that kicked in for late payments in December/January/ when Obama extended the HR5438 extension. So what tier am I really eligible for? I thought I used up everything but the final Tier 4 (6 weeks). My online status shows "benefits exhausted" and claim status shows "active issues". Its been showing that a while now.
Thanks so much! I' ve been trying to call several of NCESC numbers all day. Usually i have better luck around 7 am or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 04:07 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,438,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertNC View Post
I have a question. I just recieved 3 letters from NCESC. The first 2 said the exact same thing, I am entitled to Second Tier EUC, and then it lists one week pay for the amount. The last letter however stated that I'm eligible for second Tier and listed 14 weeks worth of amounts. I'm confused, because last week I got paid that one week due from tier 3 or tier 2 I think. Now, I thought we were just waiting for Tier 4, which is only 6 more weeks of amounts. I'm so confused, because I had already receieved the 13 weeks that kicked in for late payments in December/January/ when Obama extended the HR5438 extension. So what tier am I really eligible for? I thought I used up everything but the final Tier 4 (6 weeks). My online status shows "benefits exhausted" and claim status shows "active issues". Its been showing that a while now.
Thanks so much! I' ve been trying to call several of NCESC numbers all day. Usually i have better luck around 7 am or so.
There are A LOT of erroneous letters going out. I won't venture a guess about your claim without being able to see it. So your best bet is to try at 7am and ask a rep exactly what the status of your claim is.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:52 AM

10 posts, read 21,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
There are A LOT of erroneous letters going out. I won't venture a guess about your claim without being able to see it. So your best bet is to try at 7am and ask a rep exactly what the status of your claim is.
Thank you. I did manage to reach the NCESC rep yesterday afternoon via phone and he explained that those letters were for the tier that I had already received. Strange how they mail a bunch of letters, after the fact, LOL . Turns out, I am fully caught up now except waiting on tier 4. I'm just baffled at all the waste that goes into mailing redudant letters, to thousands of people in the state, and after the fact, like months later. Thats got to represent an old system at work, and not to mention thousands of dollars wasted in resources.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:13 PM

131 posts, read 232,737 times
I just checked & apparently no extension yet. The House of Representatives approved a temporary stopgap 30 extension, but 2 Republican senators are blocking it in the Senate. They are Sen. John Bunning from KY and Sen. Jon Kyl from AZ, who is trying to attach an estate tax to the proposal. Hopefully something will come through tonight or tomorrow.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:50 PM

656 posts, read 1,140,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerest View Post
I just checked & apparently no extension yet. The House of Representatives approved a temporary stopgap 30 extension, but 2 Republican senators are blocking it in the Senate. They are Sen. John Bunning from KY and Sen. Jon Kyl from AZ, who is trying to attach an estate tax to the proposal. Hopefully something will come through tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks for the info, I was just getting ready to check on that, thought I'd check in here first

What exactly is a stopgap 30 extension anyway?

Old 02-26-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
Thanks for the info, I was just getting ready to check on that, thought I'd check in here first

What exactly is a stopgap 30 extension anyway?
Apparently, as of about 8am this morning, the 30 day extension is in the hands of the Senate. This is to extend the Feb 28th cutoff date by 30 days. Originally, they were shooting for May 31, but they are saying benefits need to be extended through 2010 to avoid the constant need by state agencies to update their systems, and, well, because these are extraordinary times & many people need the benefits.

So, to answer your question, the House of Representatives has approved a 30 day extension and it is now in the Senate for a vote...if & when they pass it, hopefully today, but would have to pass before Sunday to avoid a LOT of headaches. THe stopgap is the term being used b/c this is just a temporary (30 day ext.) fix to give them time to craft a newer, more longterm (through 2010) extension. Remember, you must exhaust whatever your current tier is before or on Feb.28 to be eligible for the next tier. So, the 30 day stopgap will extend that date 30 days. Supposedly, sometime within that 30 days, they will come up with a new, more longterm comprehensive extension & are targeting that extension to be the end of 2010.

But---the Senate MUST vote on & pass the 30 day extension...like...immediately to keep from triggering most states' computer systems from cutting off a heckuva lot of folks' benefits on Sunday!

Old 02-26-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertNC View Post
Thank you. I did manage to reach the NCESC rep yesterday afternoon via phone and he explained that those letters were for the tier that I had already received. Strange how they mail a bunch of letters, after the fact, LOL . Turns out, I am fully caught up now except waiting on tier 4. I'm just baffled at all the waste that goes into mailing redudant letters, to thousands of people in the state, and after the fact, like months later. Thats got to represent an old system at work, and not to mention thousands of dollars wasted in resources.
I would agree that a lot of strange letters are going out. I have rec'd at least SIX letters in the past 3 weeks. The latest saying I am eligible for second tier benefits, which I have already exhausted. It's all very confusing...I'm just keeping them in a folder. I suspect these letters are being triggered as a result of the "pull forward" process. My guess is they must overide something or "trick" the system into thinking the claimant is in the first benefit year in order to pull forward...just a guess. They are legally obligated to send out letters so to selectively intercept some but not all would be a tremendous undertaking. I would bet they figure it is better to send them out with wrong info than to not send them at all..again, just my guess.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:34 AM

656 posts, read 1,140,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerest View Post
Apparently, as of about 8am this morning, the 30 day extension is in the hands of the Senate. This is to extend the Feb 28th cutoff date by 30 days. Originally, they were shooting for May 31, but they are saying benefits need to be extended through 2010 to avoid the constant need by state agencies to update their systems, and, well, because these are extraordinary times & many people need the benefits.

So, to answer your question, the House of Representatives has approved a 30 day extension and it is now in the Senate for a vote...if & when they pass it, hopefully today, but would have to pass before Sunday to avoid a LOT of headaches. THe stopgap is the term being used b/c this is just a temporary (30 day ext.) fix to give them time to craft a newer, more longterm (through 2010) extension. Remember, you must exhaust whatever your current tier is before or on Feb.28 to be eligible for the next tier. So, the 30 day stopgap will extend that date 30 days. Supposedly, sometime within that 30 days, they will come up with a new, more longterm comprehensive extension & are targeting that extension to be the end of 2010.

But---the Senate MUST vote on & pass the 30 day extension...like...immediately to keep from triggering most states' computer systems from cutting off a heckuva lot of folks' benefits on Sunday!
"Hopefully" , I'll have a job by the end of May. However in the circumstance that I won't, I believe only an extended extension will help
me out.
I just started a new benefit year Feb 8th. I already know by the 1.5 formula that I won't qualify for any new extensions., however I still have 9 weeks of tier 2 left from benefit year one. I'm guessing that won't pull forward after my 14 weeks of new euc runs out at the end of May (unless) this extension goes through.

After 2 more job interviews this past week, not producing for me, all of this plays on my nerves.

Thanks for filling me in on the new info.
I really appreciate it

Old 02-26-2010, 10:22 AM

86 posts, read 174,300 times
anybody knows why the site is down is this afternoon

Old 02-26-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
"Hopefully" , I'll have a job by the end of May. However in the circumstance that I won't, I believe only an extended extension will help
me out.
I just started a new benefit year Feb 8th. I already know by the 1.5 formula that I won't qualify for any new extensions., however I still have 9 weeks of tier 2 left from benefit year one. I'm guessing that won't pull forward after my 14 weeks of new euc runs out at the end of May (unless) this extension goes through.

After 2 more job interviews this past week, not producing for me, all of this plays on my nerves.

Thanks for filling me in on the new info.
I really appreciate it
Well, as of an hour ago, Senator John Bunning STOPPED the extension AGAIN!!!!!! I'm with you on the nerves thing.....My last job interview left me feeling confident that I had the job, but once, again, the HR dept. emailed me saying that they had narrowed down (from over 200 resumes) down to 2, me being one of them, and although my credentials were impressive, they chose the other candidate. I also lost out on 2 fast food jobs b/c they said I was OVER qualified....all in just one week! I have applied for so many jobs & rarely even get a call back & when I do, they always tell me the # of applications for the jobs are in the hundreds. It's really nerve racking not knowing if I'll be able to pay my bills next month or buy my medicine (I'm diabetic). I keep thinking that the odds are bound to swing in my favor eventually...I've NEVER been without work this long and never tried so hard to get a job. I try to keep my chin up but I hate being on unemployment, yet I cannot survive without it. I hope every unemployed person in Kentucky calls their Senator Bunning. He is retiring at the end of his term so he has nothing to lose in terms of votes or reelection and will have a nice cushy government retirement benefit---it's sickening that he has no clue how bad people are suffering, nor will he since he will be set financially. Millions of people's literal survival is in his hands but he won't budge. I just pray somehow someone can get throguh to him quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina