Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2010, 05:23 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,437,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthbuh View Post
Well, I called into the ESC customer service line today and spoke with a very nice rep. She immediately saw that my benefit year was expired, and went to work on setting up another claim immediately without me even telling her what was up.

She informed me that I'll just carry on in Tier 2, what the benefit value is (remaining from 1st year), and that I still lose a week, regardless of it being extended over instead of a new UI claim.

Any thoughts?
Must mean that you don't have enough wages in the base period to qualify for a new, regular UI claim so they'll bring forward any unused extension money into a new benefit year for you to draw. But I'm pretty sure you don't have to serve a new waiting week, as it's not REALLY a new benefit year....it's almost just like a placeholder in order for you to just continue your extension money from the first year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 05:38 PM
tyg

16 posts, read 75,237 times
Default Filing an interstate claim

jdljr:

Sorry to bother you again with this - but I've been having trouble getting a definitive response from my local office:

What are the steps to filing an interstate claim? Someone at the office told me just to change the address online, but when I asked if that would automatically switch it to an interstate claim he said, "It should." I asked what I would need to do about submitting my work search records, and he said, "Oh - you'll still have to come in. You can't get around that."

I need to file the interstate claim specifically because I will be out of state & can't afford to come back to physically hand in my work search records (obviously). I need to be able to submit them electronically, or some alternative to in person. When I told him that, he then told me to leave a message for "the person who deals with the work search records," but I haven't heard back from them in a few (business) days.

Is there a certain person (title) I should be contacting, and is there anything else I need to know? I'm getting nervous now based on that guy's answers.

Thanks for your help! I was hoping I wouldn't have to bother you again.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:50 PM

37 posts, read 97,426 times
To tgy I live in Michigan and called the 866-795-8877 number and the rep did this for over the phone. My claim status is "Liable Interstate Claim" Was able from there to certify for Tiers 3 & 4.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:57 PM
tyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdrt185 View Post
To tgy I live in Michigan and called the 866-795-8877 number and the rep did this for over the phone. My claim status is "Liable Interstate Claim" Was able from there to certify for Tiers 3 & 4.
Ah, thanks! I will try that number in the morning. Hopefully the fact that I'm on EB & not on EUC won't make a difference.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:32 AM
tyg

Question When do I make the call to switch to an interstate claim?

Quote:
psdrt185:

Did you call after you had already moved, or when you left NC? The guy at the number you gave me told me to call once I got there. The problem for me is that I don't want to miss an eligibility review appointment while I'm "in transit," and on EB they happen every 4-6 weeks - which for me my next one would be right around the time I will be moving. They don't really seem to know the answer to that...

Quote:
Originally posted by me:

jdljr:

Sorry to bother you again with this - but I've been having trouble getting a definitive response from my local office:

What are the steps to filing an interstate claim? Someone at the office told me just to change the address online, but when I asked if that would automatically switch it to an interstate claim he said, "It should." I asked what I would need to do about submitting my work search records, and he said, "Oh - you'll still have to come in. You can't get around that."

I need to file the interstate claim specifically because I will be out of state & can't afford to come back to physically hand in my work search records (obviously). I need to be able to submit them electronically, or some alternative to in person. When I told him that, he then told me to leave a message for "the person who deals with the work search records," but I haven't heard back from them in a few (business) days.

Is there a certain person (title) I should be contacting, and is there anything else I need to know? I'm getting nervous now based on that guy's answers.

jdljr:

Update to my last question: I called the number psdrt185 gave me, and the guy told me to just call once I've moved, and it would be filed for me. But I knew that part of it - I was calling to find out about the eligibility review aspect of it, and he wasn't too clear about what would happen if/when I received the letter before I was able to do that.

If I do receive a letter for another eligibility review appointment while I'm in transit (my current roommate will be watching the mail closely for me), will I be able to call & switch it to an interstate claim at that time and then be able to just fax in my records? The letter makes it scary that if you miss the appointment, once scheduled, you immediately lose benefits. I don't want to get stuck having to adjudicate it just because I might being moving at the same time the letter will be generated.

Maybe I should call to switch my address/file the claim the day I leave NC (it will take me a few days to get to my final destination)? Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Old 05-04-2010, 04:33 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,437,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyg View Post
jdljr:

No problem, Tyg. Have you specifically called the Interstate Unit? You would need to let them know specifically that you have moved and change your address with them. They should have information on what you would need to do with your work searches. I'm not sure how they handle such things for out of state clients, mail possibly.

To reach the Interstate Unit you would just call the regular initial claims filing line (don't know the number off the top of my head - but it's not the same number you call for weekly certifications). It may take a little bit to get a live person, but just tell them you need to speak to someone in the Interstate Unit (or if they say they handle the Interstate claims, just speak to them - the Interstate Unit used to have its own separate number, but they reverted the number back to the regular initial claims filing line...not sure if that means they disbanded the Interstate Unit or what).

I just saw your additional info after I posted this. Yes, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to call to change the address right when you're leaving. Once your appointment is set you'd need to attend it, so the sooner the better before they set the appointment.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:27 PM

37 posts, read 97,426 times
TGY I called after I moved to Michigan. Received a letter from NCESC that I would have to send them my work search records for my EB to be pulled forward. Called again the 866-795-8877 and was give the supervisors name and fax # to be able to fax my work search record to her. In 2 days she updated my EB and was able to certify the following Sunday. Has not been a problem at all getting this done interstate. Went much easier than I expected it would.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:28 PM
tyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
No problem, Tyg. Have you specifically called the Interstate Unit? You would need to let them know specifically that you have moved and change your address with them. They should have information on what you would need to do with your work searches. I'm not sure how they handle such things for out of state clients, mail possibly.

To reach the Interstate Unit you would just call the regular initial claims filing line (don't know the number off the top of my head - but it's not the same number you call for weekly certifications). It may take a little bit to get a live person, but just tell them you need to speak to someone in the Interstate Unit (or if they say they handle the Interstate claims, just speak to them - the Interstate Unit used to have its own separate number, but they reverted the number back to the regular initial claims filing line...not sure if that means they disbanded the Interstate Unit or what).
I will check into that, thanks. None of the people I talked to mentioned such a unit, but ya never know

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
I just saw your additional info after I posted this. Yes, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to call to change the address right when you're leaving. Once your appointment is set you'd need to attend it, so the sooner the better before they set the appointment.
Ah, thanks. That's the confirmation I've been looking for! So that's what I'll do. I really appreciate your help & have a great night/week!

Old 05-04-2010, 06:33 PM
tyg

Quote:
TGY I called after I moved to Michigan. Received a letter from NCESC that I would have to send them my work search records for my EB to be pulled forward. Called again the 866-795-8877 and was give the supervisors name and fax # to be able to fax my work search record to her. In 2 days she updated my EB and was able to certify the following Sunday. Has not been a problem at all getting this done interstate. Went much easier than I expected it would.
Thank you! That is really reassuring. Between your answer & jdljr's answer, I feel so much better about how this will work.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 8,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandmark View Post
Hi 123threegirls~ I am in the exact same boat as you. I was laid off May 15, 2009. On Dec 6, 2009, I received EUC (Extended Unemployment Compensation). When I tried to file online on April 18, 2010, I received the message that my benefits were exhausted for the benefit year ending 5-15-10. I have tried for 2 days (unsuccessfully) to call ESC at 1-888-737-0259 to see if I am eligible for one of the extensions: EUC08?, EB?, or the new extension passed on November 6? I can't seem to get through to anyone at ESC. When I call I keep getting the message: "Your message can not be completed at this time, please try again later" - and then they hang up! Are the phone lines overwhelmed or is ESC understaffed and can't handle all the calls?? Just wondering if you've had any success with getting through to ESC and getting your questions answered??

Just an update in case anyone else had the same issues as me. My claim is now straightened out and I am able to file online again. My additional extension (Tier 2) hit at the same time as the feds were voting to extend, so my claim was not set up in the system when I tried to file. I think a TON of people had the same issue. I did finally receive my extension letter in the mail and when I called my local office, I was told I'd need to come in to manually fill out the weekly claim certificate for the week that I missed. I was in and out of the ESC office in 10 minutes and the rep that handled my claim was very nice and helpful. She did tell me that my benefit year ends May 15th and that I would have to go online (or come into the office) during that time to setup a NEW benefit year under the same claim to continue to receive benefits, which I did not know. With that, there will be a 1 week waiting period just like my initial claim. Just wanted to pass on the info - especially in regards to setting up a new benefit year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina