Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 12:57 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,901,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. S Willoughby View Post
I was hoping The Brickwell was going to kick-off sooner.
Any idea when Innovation Portal, Old Majestic Brewing, and ShipShape will start construction?

Here are some others to look out for:
Old Majestic ground work has started. What is ShipShape?

Quote:
571 Dauphin Street - More nightlife on Dauphin St. Opposite the O'Daly's bar trio, Wendall Quimby of The Garage and other ventures is renovating the modest storefront at 571 Dauphin according the March 21 architectural review board agenda. For what plans? I don't know. But my guess would involve alcohol, music, and other 'good times' industries.
Work is currently being undertaken on this, but I haven't seen anything concrete other than the floor plans submitted to the city (via the city's new CSS site - which is quite an upgrade over the past) which looks like an upscale lounge.

Quote:
204 State St - Remember the 19th century creole cottage at 137 Tuscaloosa St. that was threatened to be demolished for a parking lot for a neighboring doctor's office? According to the Mobile Architectural Review board agenda from March 21st, Robert Isakson (developer behind Iron Hand Brewing, Cheese Cottage, and Old Majestic) purchased the home to relocate it next to the lot next Iron Hand Brewing at 204 State Street. It's funny how this story had so much championing and air-time on the news and then just disappeared. I hadn't heard any more about it until I read the ARB agenda. It's really wonderful if it's actually happening. Anyone know more?
I think these plans are on hold as the remodeling of Iron Hand has taken longer than expected.

Quote:
210 Dauphin Street - Local investors purchased the building and adjacent parking lot to develop a bar/music venue. Plans are to turn the parking lot into a patio with stage for live music.
The purchaser has experience with nightlife downtown and the plans sound fantastic. That's what I heard too: closing off the parking lot and turning it into a great patio. A Pat O's-style bar like in New Orleans would kill in that location.

Quote:
267 Dauphin Street - The old Weber building. Jake Peavey's company recently purchased the building and the lot beside it which is currently the Lost Garden community garden. Lost Garden has mentioned the purchase in a Facebook post and said that they will be allowed to use the lot for the time being.Anyone have info on this?
This is the first I've heard of it. Not that they are doing it, but that building would be the great host of a food hall.

Quote:
510 Dauphin - According to an architecture review board agenda, the Peavy organization plans on remodling the storefront and space. Any word on this?
I have heard nothing about this.

Quote:
522 Dauphin Street - What is the status of the tragically lost Key Loan building, owned by the Peavy's? Plans were to reconstruct it as it was for a music venue and musicians' hostel. Anyone have the scoop?
No additional scoop here.

Quote:
The Lofts at St. Emanuel 4-10 St Emanuel Street - Plans were approved in April by the Planning Commission for the two vacant cheek-to-jowl 19th century buildings on St. Emanuel to be renovated and converted in to upstairs lofts and ground floor retail space.
The work is ongoing and the first marketing for the residential spaces are floating on realtor websites.

Quote:
Royal Pharmacy 1 S Royal Street - Initial mentions of it said that it would open by early summer, but it still looks untouched.
Paper is up in the windows, which probably means initial work has begun.

Quote:
260 St Louis Street - With the help of McNair Historic Preservation Layfette Land Co (Again, Robert Isakson) is planning to renovate the former Davis Auto building into possible retail and office space.

Quote:
256 St Louis Street - The empty lot next door to Davis Auto is owned by Rogers & Willard who have since erected a sign promoting a new mixed use development on the site. That sign has been posted on this thread a few months ago.
I would venture to guess this will move forward once the Innovation PortAL work begins.

Quote:
La Floridita - Bob Baumhauer's cuban speakeasy in the basement of the Trustmark building. I haven't heard anything about this any awhile. Any news?
I have not heard a word about this since the last article quoting Baumhauer.

Quote:
Truman's Diner 14 South Conception St. - Initially heard about this in April. I'm not sure what the status is now. Scoop?
Paper up in the windows and work is being done. Lots of trade work is needed there, including plumbing.

Quote:
Sno Dash Downtown 12 South Conception St. - Next door to Sway Yoga and Truman's Diner. This has been mentioned since last fall with renovations having already started but it seem to have stalled. I noticed that the Facebook page is gone and the downtown location is no longer mentioned on the website. Is this dead?
No movement recently on this.

Quote:
Gayfer's - Anyone have any updates on the Gayfer's building project. A Louisiana based developer purchased the property to convert into residential and retail space a couple years ago. The project has since been mentioned in a few downtown development articles but lately has seemed quiet. Any news?
That developer has basically gone radio silent, which probably means there will be a for sale sign up in the near future.

Quote:
Fort Conde Village - Rumors abound and have been mentioned here a few times, but Stephen McNair's (of McNair Historic Preservation) recent post on Instagram about "Big things" coming certainly make this seem more real than rumor. Any other inside info?
This probably includes the primary renovations on the two vacant structures on the south side of that area.

Quote:
Rumors

St. Louis Street Grocery Store - It was mentioned here a while back that there were whispers of a neighborhood grocery store moving in Downtown, specifically somewhere on St. Louis Street and possibly as a micro Rouse's. Any news?
Nothing yet, but I hear that moves are being made.

Quote:
Other Business

Any news on phase two of Mardi Gras park? It's a great new addition to downtown but I think calling it a proper city park is generous. It's more or less mowed grass and decidedly unfinished. I loved the proposed plans and I hope they are still a go.

What the good god hell is up with the Celebration Trail? Anyone remember that? Sandy, love him to death, threw a parade over a year ago for the I-Team's beautification plan of Royal Street from Dauphin to the cruise terminal, including a gateway arch over Dauphin. I liked the ideas, but it quickly seemed more speculative than serious. Someone got a pulse on this?
Mardi Gras Park phase 2 is in the fundraising stage, as it is planned to be practically all private funds. The celebration trail sounded like a stop gap until ALDOT finally realigns the Canal/Water St interactions with I-10.

Thank you for posting this... this is a good cross-section of the work ongoing downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 02:44 PM

205 posts, read 197,363 times
Peavy and O'daly's have partnered up which means Cedar St Social Club is part of the O'Dalys bars now. My understanding is that's who is doing the 210 Dauphin St venue.

Also that lot next to the Weber building can't be developed because of utilities so I don't see the Lost Garden going anywhere. Nothing structurally can be placed there because of access to those utilities

Old 07-30-2018, 08:43 AM

427 posts, read 389,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
Old Majestic ground work has started. What is ShipShape?
Shipshape Urban Farms They are a CSA that will use shipping containers and other methods to have a garden in the middle of downtown Mobile.

They announced a few years ago and have been very quiet, but have started communicating more again and I think they are almost ready.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:02 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,901,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Mac View Post
Shipshape Urban Farms They are a CSA that will use shipping containers and other methods to have a garden in the middle of downtown Mobile.

They announced a few years ago and have been very quiet, but have started communicating more again and I think they are almost ready.
I had forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:19 AM

All these awesome places coming downtown and the one I'm looking forward to the most is Stevie's Gumbo Bar. I love little hole in the wall places and it's within walking distance. Perfect

Old 07-30-2018, 09:50 AM

28 posts, read 34,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eshore78 View Post
All these awesome places coming downtown and the one I'm looking forward to the most is Stevie's Gumbo Bar. I love little hole in the wall places and it's within walking distance. Perfect
What's Stevie's Gumbo Bar?

Old 07-30-2018, 11:10 AM

5,024 posts, read 9,275,550 times
Quote:
Gumbo Bar ?!?!?! Where and when ?!!

Old 07-30-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Gumbo Bar ?!?!?! Where and when ?!!

Stevie's Kitchen is opening a New Orleans style hole in the wall gumbo bar right next to Spot of Tea. Its got Boar's Head paper covering the windows right now. Late September if I remember correctly

Old 07-30-2018, 11:38 AM

Yeah this is where I saw it.. https://www.al.com/expo/erry-2018/02...ants_open.html

it says..

Stevie's Gumbo Bar
Stevie Watford of Stevie's Kitchen is opening a smaller location in the former Artology gallery in downtown Mobile. He describes it as a New Orleans-style "hole in the wall" serving gumbo and other Creole and Cajun dishes, as well as his signature Boar's Head sandwiches and salads, as well as a full bar and specialty cocktails.
Address: 300-A Dauphin St.
Projected opening date: Early September 2018

Old 07-30-2018, 03:42 PM

5,024 posts, read 9,275,550 times
Quote:
Yeah this is where I saw it.. https://www.al.com/expo/erry-2018/02...ants_open.html

it says..

Stevie's Gumbo Bar
Stevie Watford of Stevie's Kitchen is opening a smaller location in the former Artology gallery in downtown Mobile. He describes it as a New Orleans-style "hole in the wall" serving gumbo and other Creole and Cajun dishes, as well as his signature Boar's Head sandwiches and salads, as well as a full bar and specialty cocktails.
Address: 300-A Dauphin St.
Projected opening date: Early September 2018

Nice ! Thanks !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area