Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2018, 05:56 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,431,500 times

Advertisements

Mobile will never have a true international airport due to its proximity to New Orleans. MSY has a number of international nonstops, including Toronto, London, Frankfurt, Cancun, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, Tegucigalpa, Honduras, and Panama City, Panama. The new MSY airport will be finished early next year and is supposed to be stunning.

Last edited by Lizap; 07-09-2018 at 06:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 06:33 PM

13,275 posts, read 9,825,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Thoughts ?! With a 7 level parking garage I think it could work along with tailgating in RV city ?

https://flic.kr/p/LRsf9G

https://flic.kr/p/26ebJXw
The stadium look disproportionally huge! They kinda overdid the foreshortening.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Mobile will never have a true international airport due to its proximity to New Orleans. MSY has a number of international nonstops, including Toronto, London, Frankfurt, Cancun, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, Tegucigalpa, Honduras, and Panama City, Panama. The new MSY airport will be finished early next year and is supposed to be stunning.
Getting a little off topic I suppose, but do you know if the new North Terminal will be in addition to the present terminal, or replace it?

Old 07-09-2018, 07:29 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,431,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Getting a little off topic I suppose, but do you know if the new North Terminal will be in addition to the present terminal, or replace it?
It will replace the current terminal. The current terminal will be used for non-commercial flights. I have seen drawings of it, and it is very impressive. There will be all new restaurants and shops; I believe the design will be similar to Charlotte in that there will be a common area between concourses where retail and restaurants will be located.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
It will replace the current terminal. The current terminal will be used for non-commercial flights. I have seen drawings of it, and it is very impressive. There will be all new restaurants and shops; I believe the design will be similar to Charlotte in that there will be a common area between concourses where retail and restaurants will be located.
Thanks! I did a little googling and it does indeed look very nice. I haven't been to their airport in at least 25 years. It was nice enough then but seemed to be a little crowded. That one time was unusual though because it was when Hurricane Andrew was bearing down and everybody was trying to get out of town.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:38 PM

205 posts, read 197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Thoughts ?! With a 7 level parking garage I think it could work along with tailgating in RV city ?

https://flic.kr/p/LRsf9G

https://flic.kr/p/26ebJXw

Who would this be for? Someone wants to build a 100 million dollar stadium for just the Senior Bowl and a bowl game?

Old 07-10-2018, 10:16 AM

5,024 posts, read 9,273,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eshore78 View Post
Who would this be for? Someone wants to build a 100 million dollar stadium for just the Senior Bowl and a bowl game?
Good question maybe socker ternaments too. I think the proposel seats 50k.I would prefer a dome for concerts.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
The stadium look disproportionally huge! They kinda overdid the foreshortening.
Yeah it does look huge.I think it would fit on the Civic Center lot but parking will have to go vertical.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:24 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,900,992 times
Quote:
BFM would be a true international airport as soon as there are CBP facilities and there are scheduled flights. Don't assume (whether via biases or not) that an airport having international flights 2 hours and 15 minutes by car away from Mobile is forever going to dissuade the introduction of international services out of MOB/BFM.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
New Orleans is one of the most traveled cities in America and it punches above it's weight in that regard so of course. Mobile is a small metro so it would not have as many international flights as NOLA. Well actually metros that are the size of NOLA may not have as many international flights either. I would never say " never" because we don't know what could change in 15 or 20 years but the improvements and offerings will be better than what we have now.Mobile punches below it's weight in international flights or just flights in general.
The goal is to at least hang with similar sized metros.Birmingham may not have as many international flights as Nashville or Atlanta but that does not mean they do not have an international airport.

Last edited by PortCity; 07-10-2018 at 10:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area