Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 01:51 PM

427 posts, read 389,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Plans ?! Hmmmm please share. I hope they take up an empty lot instead though.

When I moved back to Mobile in 2008.The first thing that came to mind as the next downtown corridor that needs to be redeveloped was St.Louis street. And it is great to see how things have unfolded and the investments on that street. It use to have lifeless borded up buildings and to see life on what I think is a major downtown corridor is a breath of fresh air. And not only St Louis but St Michael is seeing more life.
Went to the Cheese Cottage on Friday at 5:30. You couldn't find a parking spot near the place and it was fully packed. I was really shocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 09:20 AM

139 posts, read 216,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evlb401 View Post
Yeah, I heard about the St. Louis Street grocery store too. The lease hasn't been signed yet. The building was purchased a few months ago. Neat stuff. The plans that developer has for downtown will blow your mind. The stuff that will hopefully be announced soon is just too cool.
I hope the rumor is true!Rouses would be a great addition to downtown. Their store in the New Orleans CBD is nice and convenient. I also like the new one in west Mobile, the set up is similar to Whole Foods in a way. The progress downtown and in other pockets of the city is a testament to the Stimpson administration.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:02 AM

205 posts, read 197,167 times
Royal Pharmacy is going in to 1 South Royal St. on the corner of Dauphin and Royal

Old 05-08-2018, 12:53 PM

5,024 posts, read 9,270,805 times
Default Spanishfort Causweay development plans.

Quote:
AL.com

Mobile Change Region

Search
REAL-TIME NEWS FROM MOBILE
How Alabama officials are looking to 'dress up' the picturesque Causeway in Spanish Fort
Updated 11:19 AM;
Posted 11:18 AM
Gallery: Spanish Fort Causeway

shares
By John Sharp jsharp@al.com
The Causeway crossing the northern edge of Mobile Bay has a deserved reputation for picturesque views and lively seafood restaurants.

From a practicality standpoint, the 7-mile roadway offers commuters a welcome alternative from the oft-jammed Interstate 10 Bayway.

But the Causeway remains largely undeveloped, although it's fascinated entrepreneurs, investors and bureaucrats since it was built in the 1920s.

"It needs to be dressed up, cleaned up and taken to where it can be," said Spanish Fort Mayor Mike McMillan.

City officials took a step toward making that happen Monday. The City Council voted unanimously on a plan that lays out a Causeway makeover.

The 31-page "master plan" for the Causeway, which is mostly located within Spanish Fort's boundaries, aims to highlight attractions that can lure more people for recreation and tourism: Pedestrian/bike paths, parks, fishing piers, improved lighting, canoe/kayaking access points, signage and festivals
https://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.../post_148.html

I think it's a step in the right direction and is long over due. The causeway needs more greenery .Palm trees ?Hopefully Mobile can add to the development.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:50 AM

427 posts, read 389,672 times
Bienville Books is becoming "The Haunted Book Store". This was the original name when it opened in 1941 and the original owners grand daughter is the one reopening ithttps://thehauntedbookshopmobile.com/

Old 06-19-2018, 09:06 AM

Default Downtown Airport

Findings of the feasibility study will be released tomorrow morning at 10am.

Moving Mobile Regional: Study to be released Wednesday - WKRG

Old 06-19-2018, 09:32 AM

13,269 posts, read 9,818,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eshore78 View Post
Findings of the feasibility study will be released tomorrow morning at 10am.

Moving Mobile Regional: Study to be released Wednesday - WKRG
Just curious, but why would they want to move it? I flew into there one time (going to Pascagoula) and it was very nice, albeit quite small. Would the move somehow be associated with Airbus operations?

I'm guessing that airline service in Mobile is hurt by Pensacola more than anything else.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:18 AM

651 posts, read 482,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Just curious, but why would they want to move it? I flew into there one time (going to Pascagoula) and it was very nice, albeit quite small. Would the move somehow be associated with Airbus operations?

I'm guessing that airline service in Mobile is hurt by Pensacola more than anything else.
It's not near any major highway and really far away from people who live out east past 65. A new location may make it more attractive over Pensacola.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post

Mobile is losing a lot of business because of location and price. Most people downtown and in Baldwin County fly out of Pensacola because it's easier to get to and it's usually a lot cheaper. With a move downtown and more direct flights it should be a boost for economy and tourism.

Also a lot of these companies that are coming in and are already here are national and international companies. Having their employees flying in an out conveniently near their offices and/or hotels will help Mobile's reputation as business friendly. I've got friends that have to fly out of Mobile regularly from their downtown offices and they're begging for this to happen.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:50 PM

566 posts, read 677,978 times
Due to their location off the beaten path and competition from both Biloxi/Gulfport and Pensacola, Mobile's airport has fallen behind and lost out on some of the low-cost carrier options available at the other airports. The last time I flew out of Mobile, more than three-quarters of the plane was business travel, therefore willing to pay the inflated fares.

It would seem like a waste considering some of the recent upgrades the airport has gone through, but if they can make passenger traveler reality out of Brookley it would help.

If there was some kind of Western bypass that was near the airport it might make it more feasible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area