Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2020, 10:52 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times

Advertisements

Obviously the acts of hate towards Asians that are happening are awful. But it’s different than not wanting to go out for Chinese food right now. But some people want to turn everything into a race situation.

There’s likely more discrimation towards Asians than Italians because the virus originated in China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 10:53 AM

And the only act of racism I’ve seen towards Asians was a black guy on a train in nyc spraying an Asian guy with febreeze and telling him to move

Old 03-26-2020, 10:54 AM

Whatever. I have no issues with Asian people whatsoever.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:56 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
There’s likely more discrimination towards Asians than Italians because the virus originated in China.
Right, and what should be strictly blame on the Chinese government has unfortunately transpired into targeting individual Chinese people. But people can be very childish.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:01 AM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It's a long way from mistreating one due to their race/appearance, to having awareness that a Chinese national is more likely to have recent travel to China or been in contact with family or others who have. Avoiding Chinese food due to its long term health effects does not make one a racist either.
Right, but the mistreatment is happening. I posted a link to a healthcare provider in MA being blatantly racist. Someone at work was fired because they told an Asian (not Chinese) coworker to "stay the **** away from me with your disease." I don't care what people choose to eat, though I do laugh at the relative ignorance of people thinking avoiding Chinese food is going to increase their odds of avoiding the virus. Racist? Maybe not. Dumb? Absolutely. It's also obviously very different than avoiding it due to its long term health effects.

While a Chinese national may have been more likely to travel China recently, avoiding a person who "looks Chinese" is also ineffective and ignorant. Prior to all of the shut downs, there were thousands of people traveling between Boston and China every day. Not even close to all of them were Chinese (or even Asian). And today, you're far more likely to bump into a white, average looking "American" carrying the virus than you are an Asian person carrying it. So even under the best of circumstances and with the best intentions avoiding people who look Chinese or Italian (as opposed to just general social distancing) is a painfully ineffective strategy. And in the worst cases, people actively targeting Asian people with hateful speech or discrimination is absolutely 100% racist.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:09 AM

So many people on here with their elitist attitudes. Calling people dumb for not wanting to go out to eat when there’s a pandemic going on. Okey....

What really is the point of social distance if you have no problem eating food prepared by a stranger? You don’t know who else touched the food either.

You do you.

Last edited by Bridge781; 03-26-2020 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: M

Old 03-26-2020, 11:15 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Right, and what should be strictly blame on the Chinese government has unfortunately transpired into targeting individual Chinese people. But people can be very childish.
Agreed. It sometimes takes a great deal of education (not strictly the university type but more the Mom and Dad told you common sense type) to change people's minds and perceptions. I bet you a large number of those perpetrators tend to be on the younger side (say under 40) and have not experienced enough of the world or have not been disciplined enough to understand their actions. For instance, a friend of mine the other day said on Facebook that a group of young punks came up to her and started to fake sneeze and claim "Oh you're making me sick!" just because she was Chinese. We still have a lot of bias, bigotry, and social-cultural insecurity here in North America even among groups you wouldn't even think would exhibit such behavior. It all stems from institutional segregation which can be found all across the continent.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:15 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
So many people on here with their elitist attitudes. Calling people dumb for not wanting to go out to eat when there’s a pandemic going on. Okey....

You're reading what you want to read, not what is being written.

If someone doesn't want to do take out at all because of concerns. That's one thing.

Specifically calling out not eating at Chinese restaurants because of the pandemic is something else entirely.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:18 AM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
It's a long way from mistreating one due to their race/appearance, to having awareness that a Chinese national is more likely to have recent travel to China or been in contact with family or others who have. Avoiding Chinese food due to its long term health effects does not make one a racist either.
Thank you for making this point, massNative71!

Old 03-26-2020, 11:24 AM

I really am not into Chinese food and didn’t eat it before this all happened.

I miss sushi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts