Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 11:23 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I just checked the ever-knowing Google and an article says that Audrey was both a proof reader and columnist. I was probably so busy championing her "get it right or don't write it" campaign that I forgot the rest.

It was (and I hope still is) a great paper anyway - even if they couldn't spell. :-) I looked forward to it every day.

By the way, the picture I saw was Mifflin House.
The Mifflin House photo was presented by MAD ANTHONIE at post #2933. That house was on Overton Street in the Fairmount area just south of Kentucky Road and just a couple blocks or so from where Overton ends near the Missouri River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 11:32 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:
I just checked the ever-knowing Google and an article says that Audrey was both a proof reader and columnist. I was probably so busy championing her "get it right or don't write it" campaign that I forgot the rest.

It was (and I hope still is) a great paper anyway - even if they couldn't spell. :-) I looked forward to it every day.

By the way, the picture I saw was Mifflin House.
Stick around Hazel. When I get to my home computer this evening I'll post another house that you might recognize.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:43 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,253,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
The Mifflin House photo was presented by MAD ANTHONIE at post #2933. That house was on Overton Street in the Fairmount area just south of Kentucky Road and just a couple blocks or so from where Overton ends near the Missouri River.
I seldom got that far north and so missed that. Speaking of north, I was once riding around with a local politician who was running for re-election. That wasn't my reason for being with her but I did go along. She traveled northward, stopping here and there to do a bit of campaigning. Eventually, she ended up in Sugar Creek. Thinking she was still in Independence, she continued to stop any passerby and ask for their vote. I was keeping very quiet but, eventually, one of those people told her she wasn't in Independence.

We all have our embarrassing moments.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:43 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
This one's not quite so easy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Was it really necessary to post a photo that will be so hard for most to identify?
Would that be Necessary Road looking south from Holke?

Old 03-25-2013, 11:50 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,253,106 times
Quote:
Stick around Hazel. When I get to my home computer this evening I'll post another house that you might recognize.
I'll try but, truth to tell, I am having trouble following. This morning, when I received the first email I've had in a while, it opened up Mifflin House. I just went back to that email and it opened up "Would that be Necessary Road....". I think I know what is happeneing but, if this is all one thread with different topics, shouldn't it always open to the last post?

Ah well. Probably me. I shall never master computers. So, never mind.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:28 PM

778 posts, read 1,023,867 times
Quote:
Was it really necessary to post a photo that will be so hard for most to identify?
Quote:
Would that be Necessary Road looking south from Holke?

Sure is! You notice towards the top and center background of the photo, you can just barely make out the cut made though the bluff for the new Jackson Drive road bed.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I'll try but, truth to tell, I am having trouble following. This morning, when I received the first email I've had in a while, it opened up Mifflin House. I just went back to that email and it opened up "Would that be Necessary Road....". I think I know what is happeneing but, if this is all one thread with different topics, shouldn't it always open to the last post?

Ah well. Probably me. I shall never master computers. So, never mind.
We post stuff so fast sometimes that the last post is always moving to something new.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Sure is! You notice towards the top and center background of the photo, you can just barely make out the cut made though the bluff for the new Jackson Drive road bed.
Believe it or not I kept coming back to that intersection and began looking south--I attended church at that little then Methodist church at the end of Holke--and decided several times that road was not it.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 03-25-2013 at 12:58 PM..

Old 03-25-2013, 02:10 PM

778 posts, read 1,023,867 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Believe it or not I kept coming back to that intersection and began looking south--I attended church at that little then Methodist church at the end of Holke--and
decided several times that road was not it.
This one was taken just a few feet north of the previous shot. I had parked in the church parking lot to take this and others.

This one is looking north at the top[ of the hill, with the church on the right.
Basically, I just spun around from taking the precious shot, to make this one. Off to the far left, is where Holke continued south several hundred feet before turning west.

Last edited by SilverDoc; 03-25-2013 at 02:43 PM..

Old 03-25-2013, 03:23 PM

I guess times do change but when I was living there, there was very little money for street construction even though Noland and 23rd were upgraded but with a struggle. I think both streets needed bond money.

Since Independence has not grown much since the eastern area was taken into the city limits years ago, it looks as though they have adopted a "Build it and they will come" approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City