Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 05:25 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilson kc View Post
Mad Anthonie

Would like to see the old photos of 23rd and Kiger. My wife lived in the house where Drenon's Jewelry nows stands and her grandmother and family owned everything on the southwest corner for years. It was a Phillips 66 station connected to the Queen City Feed store next to Kay's restaurant. The house my wife's grandma lived in started out sitting on that corner as a tavern. Later it was moved to the next lot south on Lee's Summit Road. After she sold the land to HyVee she moved out of that area. The house was again moved across 23rd to again become a feed store. That location was near where the Starbucks is located now. I've always said it is the most traveled house in Independence.
Welcome to the best and busiest thread in the KC area! Hopefully you'll stick around and help us fill in the gaps of our collective memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Take a look at the first two photos at post number 305, page 31, presented by Mad Anthonie. Those buildings in the photo went in sometime around 1959-60 on the northeast corner of 23rd and Kiger. Prior to that time, the station and hardware and grocery store were directly across from Queen City Feed on the northwest corner of 23rd.

I would be interested in seeing if Mad has any photos of Queen City Feed, also. I ate at the restaurant many times. You might remember John Brown, who owned all the property on those north corners and lived in a house on 23rd just a few hundred feet west of the intersection.
Sorry gents, to the best of my recollection I have exactly zero shots of the old feed store, or anything on that corner. My Beloved would also love to see the old buildings, as she grew up only a few blocks from there. Perhaps someday while going through the several thousand slides and pix from her collection we'll find something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 07:14 PM

778 posts, read 1,025,593 times
Quote:
Mad Anthonie

Would like to see the old photos of 23rd and Kiger. My wife lived in the house where Drenon's Jewelry nows stands and her grandmother and family owned everything on the southwest corner for years. It was a Phillips 66 station connected to the Queen City Feed store next to Kay's restaurant. The house my wife's grandma lived in started out sitting on that corner as a tavern. Later it was moved to the next lot south on Lee's Summit Road. After she sold the land to HyVee she moved out of that area. The house was again moved across 23rd to again become a feed store. That location was near where the Starbucks is located now. I've always said it is the most traveled house in Independence.

Welcome! What do you go by? Everyone here calls me Doc. Don't forget the slot car track and liquor store that was also on that corner.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Mad Anthonie

You might enjoy these:

Stan Calvert

Stan Calvert- The way I remember him

Old 03-26-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Mad Anthonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Welcome to the best and busiest thread in the KC area! Hopefully you'll stick around and help us fill in the gaps of our collective memories.

Sorry gents, to the best of my recollection I have exactly zero shots of the old feed store, or anything on that corner. My Beloved would also love to see the old buildings, as she grew up only a few blocks from there. Perhaps someday while going through the several thousand slides
and pix from her collection we'll find something.

I'd like to see some too, Mad. My childhood neighbor and buddy worked at Kay's, and my Dad used to take my brother and I to the slot car track. As far as that goes, it'd be pretty cool to have photos of all four corners!

Old 03-26-2013, 10:25 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times
When in high school, I was on a very slim budget even though I worked part time.

When I needed a "new" tire, I would go behind Stan's DX where he piled all the old tires that he took off of his customer's cars to install new ones. I would pick out the best old tire I could find for exactly $1 and he would put it on my car for maybe 50 cents.

This was in the days before you had to pay a fee for recycling the old tires. I dont know what he did with all the old tires he had, but every so often they would disappear and the pile would start growing again.

Tires back in the fifties and sixties did not last a long time. I remember buying a new 67 Ford and I recall failing a safety inspection on an Army post because the tread was really worn down on my back two tires. It was early 1968 and the car had 17,000 miles on it. I had to buy two new tires before the car would pass.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:40 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
[b]
Tires back in the fifties and sixties did not last a long time. I remember buying a new 67 Ford and I recall failing a safety inspection on an Army post because the tread was really worn down on my back two tires. It was early 1968 and the car had 17,000 miles on it. I had to buy two new tires before the car would pass.
You don't suppose all those burnouts had any effect on the rear tires, do you?

Old 03-27-2013, 11:41 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times
Quote:
You don't suppose all those burnouts had any effect on the rear tires, do you?
Chuckle.

I was past that sort of thing by this time in my life. This was the first new car I had ever purchased. It was a Ford Fairlane 500XL, two door hardtop with air, bucket seats, automatic on the floor, a console, am-fm with one speaker, power steering, power brakes, and tubeless tires. I thought I was uptown.

I paid $2,950 and did not have a trade in. Some folks could not believe a Ford could cost that much. My payments were around $90 a month for three years. That was a lot of money. My folks were paying $108 a month for their new home in Glendale Gardens on 35th Street.

By this time, I think Fairlane was a model unto itself and was smaller than the regular Ford. I think the regular Ford was a Galaxy and was a different car.

As I recall, even premium tires were lucky to get 25,000 miles, if that, back then. This was before radials and then steel radials came into vogue.

And in 1967, we were not that far removed from having to use inner tubes. I had owned only two cars, a 53 and 58 Ford, prior to that time and both required inner tubes.

I also seem to recall that the manufacturers back then put the cheapest possible tires on their cars, whereas now the quality is rather good.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:58 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
You might enjoy these:

Stan Calvert

Stan Calvert- The way I remember him

Great pics, service stations/repair shops from the good ol days. About the only place you could find what you needed for sparkplugs or belts, etc. was Western Auto. Well, I guess we had Sears and Wards too. Those mom n pop owned stations were hit and miss when the car needed maintenance/repair.

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 03-27-2013 at 01:36 PM..

Old 03-27-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
We have a WINNER!!!!

Mr. Bostian was a successful business man in Independence in the 1880s-90s. In 1900 he became the Postmaster for Indep., a position he retired from in 1913.

I'm not sure which of the Fletchers lived there, perhaps you do?
1930 602 N. Delaware: Bostian, Lawrence (Salesman, Bostian Motors, 121 S. Main); Louise (teacher); Margaret ("wid Wm")

614 N. Delaware: Laura Fletcher

Kenneth V. Bostian (Mary) 709 Van Horn Rd.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
We have a WINNER!!!!

Mr. Bostian was a successful business man in Independence in the 1880s-90s. In 1900 he became the Postmaster for Indep., a position he retired from in 1913.

I'm not sure which of the Fletchers lived there, perhaps you do?

No. 18 on the Walking Tour:

18. Bostian House
602 North Delaware (Private)

An 1887 frame Queen Anne that was built by W.T. Cooper and was home to Maria J. Fletcher, a widow who took in boarder. The house was sold to the Bostonian Family in 1905.

So just who were these "Fletchers"? Political/business family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City