Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 07:50 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
As promised here is your next mystery to solve. The only clue is that Audrey Stubbart was very familiar with this place.

Ok I had not heard of Mrs Subbart until now, but I can safely say that is NOT the offices of Herald House nor the Examiner.

However, it also does not look like a house that would have stood at 1501 E. Alton Ave, her home address in 1960.

Looks more like something over in MADs old neighborhood, but typically, Elephino.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 11:39 PM

778 posts, read 1,023,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I guess times do change but when I was living there, there was very little money for street construction even though Noland and 23rd were upgraded but with a struggle. I think both streets needed bond money.

Since Independence has not grown much since the eastern area was taken into the city limits years ago, it looks as though they have adopted a "Build it and they will come" approach.

Don't know if anyone noticed or not, but this is post #3000 on page 300!! Sorry WCHS, I don't a prize for you!

Old 03-26-2013, 10:35 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Ok I had not heard of Mrs Subbart until now, but I can safely say that is NOT the offices of Herald House nor the Examiner.

However, it also does not look like a house that would have stood at 1501 E. Alton Ave, her home address in 1960.

Looks more like something over in MADs old neighborhood, but typically, Elephino.
You are very correct!

Old 03-26-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Don't know if anyone noticed or not, but this is post #3000 on page 300!! Sorry WCHS, I don't a prize for you!
Too bad Sally isn't around to see what has become of her thread.

(Do I get a prize?)

Old 03-26-2013, 11:37 AM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times
Quote:
Too bad Sally isn't around to see what has become of her thread.

(Do I get a prize?)
Yeah I noticed Page 300/Post 3000 coming up plus the 2nd Anniversary of the thread, hoping Sally would surprise us with an appearance.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:27 PM

20 posts, read 25,491 times
Quote:
As promised here is your next mystery to solve. The only clue is that Audrey Stubbart was very familiar with this place.

I believe this one lives on the NW corner of Delaware and Waldo...

Old 03-26-2013, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 851 times
Default 23rd & Kiger

Mad Anthonie

Would like to see the old photos of 23rd and Kiger. My wife lived in the house where Drenon's Jewelry nows stands and her grandmother and family owned everything on the southwest corner for years. It was a Phillips 66 station connected to the Queen City Feed store next to Kay's restaurant. The house my wife's grandma lived in started out sitting on that corner as a tavern. Later it was moved to the next lot south on Lee's Summit Road. After she sold the land to HyVee she moved out of that area. The house was again moved across 23rd to again become a feed store. That location was near where the Starbucks is located now. I've always said it is the most traveled house in Independence.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:04 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilson kc View Post
Mad Anthonie

Would like to see the old photos of 23rd and Kiger. My wife lived in the house where Drenon's Jewelry nows stands and her grandmother and family owned everything on the southwest corner for years. It was a Phillips 66 station connected to the Queen City Feed store next to Kay's restaurant. The house my wife's grandma lived in started out sitting on that corner as a tavern. Later it was moved to the next lot south on Lee's Summit Road. After she sold the land to HyVee she moved out of that area. The house was again moved across 23rd to again become a feed store. That location was near where the Starbucks is located now. I've always said it is the most traveled house in Independence.
You probably remember C&J United Super, Stan's DX, and Brown Hardware and Dime store across the street on the northwest and northeast sides of Alton (now 23rd) and Kiger (now Lee's Summit) The Sinclair (I think) Station that was on the southeast side on Lees Summit I cannot recall the name.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 03-26-2013 at 04:22 PM..

Old 03-26-2013, 04:43 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilson kc View Post
Mad Anthonie

Take a look at the first two photos at post number 305, page 31, presented by Mad Anthonie. Those buildings in the photo went in sometime around 1959-60 on the northeast corner of 23rd and Kiger. Prior to that time, the station and hardware and grocery store were directly across from Queen City Feed on the northwest corner of 23rd.

I would be interested in seeing if Mad has any photos of Queen City Feed, also. I ate at the restaurant many times. You might remember John Brown, who owned all the property on those north corners and lived in a house on 23rd just a few hundred feet west of the intersection.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimlover6 View Post
I believe this one lives on the NW corner of Delaware and Waldo...
We have a WINNER!!!!

Mr. Bostian was a successful business man in Independence in the 1880s-90s. In 1900 he became the Postmaster for Indep., a position he retired from in 1913.

I'm not sure which of the Fletchers lived there, perhaps you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City