Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 03:28 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I guess times do change but when I was living there, there was very little money for street construction even though Noland and 23rd were upgraded but with a struggle. I think both streets needed bond money.

Since Independence has not grown much since the eastern area was taken into the city limits years ago, it looks as though they have adopted a "Build it and they will come" approach.

Probably got tired of seeing the flocks to farther eastern Blue Springs and Lee's Summit. Those suburbs wouldn't have grown without the transportation access. When I lived in BS it was a helluva commute Downtown KC. I can't imagine what the traffic's like now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 03:37 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,773,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Probably got tired of seeing the flocks to farther eastern Blue Springs and Lee's Summit. Those suburbs wouldn't have grown without the transportation access. When I lived in BS it was a helluva commute Downtown KC. I can't imagine what the traffic's like now.
Coming out of Kansas, I have learned not to take I-435 South from I-70 to skirt the metro area. It is four lanes bumper to bumper, very slow, with stop and go traffic during the rush hour. I get the impression everyone is going to Lee's Summit. Last I saw Lee's Summit had 90,000 people.

I have found that during the height of rush hour I can take I-70 straight into downtown and then shoot on out to Noland in no time at all. In the old days, it was exactly the opposite.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I seldom got that far north and so missed that. Speaking of north, I was once riding around with a local politician who was running for re-election. That wasn't my reason for being with her but I did go along. She traveled northward, stopping here and there to do a bit of campaigning. Eventually, she ended up in Sugar Creek. Thinking she was still in Independence, she continued to stop any passerby and ask for their vote. I was keeping very quiet but, eventually, one of those people told her she wasn't in Independence.

We all have our embarrassing moments.
i can remember driving around in that same northern area in 1961 trying to figure out what was what as far as Independence was concerned. I believe nowadays they have the major streets marked with an "Entering" type sign.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:29 PM

778 posts, read 1,026,009 times
Quote:
I guess times do change but when I was living there, there was very little money for street construction even though Noland and 23rd were upgraded but with a struggle. I think both streets needed bond money.

Since Independence has not grown much since the eastern area was taken into the city limits years ago, it looks as though they have adopted a "Build it and they will come" approach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
As I've stated earlier, I live just north of where these photos were taken. In my little "slice of heaven", not a lot has changed. a couple of new housing additions and a odd new house here and there, (whoops, forgot the college and grade school) but never the less pretty quiet. On the other hand, Jackson Drive leads directly to Centerpoint Hospital at 39th st. down to Little Blue Parkway. Plus, all the development around where they put in Bass Pro Shop, and converted the old Cracker Neck Golf Course into a commercial center, along with the new Independence Events Center........You get the idea. All someone has to do is "fly" over the area on Google Maps or Google Earth to see how the east side of town has "blown up"! On top of all that, the new Little Blue Parkway is going to further open up the east end.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
As I've stated earlier, I live just north of where these photos were taken. In my little "slice of heaven", not a lot has changed. a couple of new housing additions and a odd new house here and there, (whoops, forgot the college and grade school) but never the less pretty quiet. On the other hand, Jackson Drive leads directly to Centerpoint Hospital at 39th st. down to Little Blue Parkway. Plus, all the development around where they put in Bass Pro Shop, and converted the old Cracker Neck Golf Course into a commercial center, along with the new Independence Events Center........You get the idea. All someone has to do is "fly" over the area on Google Maps or Google Earth to see how the east side of town has "blown up"! On top of all that, the new Little Blue Parkway is going to further open up the east end.
Doc, I hear what you are saying but as far as the city goes the population was 112,223 in 2000 and 116,830 in 2010. In 1980 the population was 111,787.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:06 PM

778 posts, read 1,026,009 times
Quote:
Doc, I hear what you are saying but as far as the city goes the population was 112,223 in 2000 and 116,830 in 2010. In 1980 the population was 111,787.

I would think that population is just one indicator of growth. I myself am glad the population hasn't grown any faster. Maybe the number of inhabitants has risen all that fast or that much, but the number of people willing to spend their hard earned money here, has certainly seemed to increase substantially.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:10 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,479,996 times
As promised here is your next mystery to solve. The only clue is that Audrey Stubbart was very familiar with this place.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:45 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,479,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I'll try but, truth to tell, I am having trouble following. This morning, when I received the first email I've had in a while, it opened up Mifflin House. I just went back to that email and it opened up "Would that be Necessary Road....". I think I know what is happeneing but, if this is all one thread with different topics, shouldn't it always open to the last post?

Ah well. Probably me. I shall never master computers. So, never mind.
Try noting what page number we are on when you sign off. When you come back just pick up there. Sometimes we fill several pages a day.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
I would think that population is just one indicator of growth. I myself am glad the population hasn't grown any faster. Maybe the number of inhabitants has risen all that fast or that much, but the number of people willing to spend their hard earned money here, has certainly seemed to increase substantially.
The selfish side of me, too, is glad to look on Maps and see the area is still pretty much as I remember it. I'm much more of a traditionalist and I know I would hate to look and see miles and miles of cul de sacs et al "denigrating" that part of town (even though I'm pretty unfamiliar with it frm childhood days). Since I have farming roots going back at least to pre-Civil War somewhere in Blue Township (and family plots near Ft Osage), I'm hoping to locate that exact situs before the developers do. So slow down boys.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
I've never lived in Independence and have no affiliation. Just moved from Smithville MO to Raleigh NC, and even I am glued to this thread!

Just a thought: we're all very much enjoying the old pictures posted on this site. since digital pictures are so cheap, maybe some of you Independence locals ought to go out and get lots of pictures of Independence as it is today? In 30 years or so, people will think the "old days" were amazing!

Don't know why. . . . but I love this thread!
Hello AJ:

Welcome. I'm glad someone sane is reading us here. As far as your excellent suggestion, that delegation has been made to our (in)frequent poster "pearjas" who lives near The Square. He was kind enough to take photos of my grandparents' house (for which I'm very grateful). Also, if you are familiar with Google Streetview, it's a great way to "walk the streets" and see what's there (and sadly, what's no longer there).

About Raleigh: If you have already become a NC State basketball fan, I just finished watching the best ESPN "30 for 30" documentary "Survive and Advance" on the 1983 National Championship run by Jim Valvano and his Wolfpack, said by SI to be college basketball's most memorable moment. Catch it if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City